ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS F (2008-2014) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014-200/)
-   -   electronic steering problem (wheels Stolen) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/810461-electronic-steering-problem-wheels-stolen.html)

waaaa 01-26-16 07:29 PM

electronic steering problem (wheels Stolen)

My wheels were stolen off my IS-F and the car was dropped on the ground landing on the front driver suspension. After that Ive been having issues with my steering wheel. On cold mornings it doesn't move at all(stuck in one position) maybe because of the cold? And while driving and turning the wheel the wheel gets stuck in the direction I turn until i pull it back to make the wheels straight.

So I went to Lexus they said I had some faulty codes on my steering ecu, and that the rack pinion and the steering Ecu needs to be replaced. Anyone ever had this type of issue with the steering wheel?

Thanks for the help in advance.

also let me know if anyone knows a mechanic in NJ that's good with IS-?

tas02 01-26-16 10:36 PM

Sorry to hear, that truly sucks. Was it the stock wheels that were nicked, or aftermarket? The oem security nuts are so common that they're about useless.

As for your steering problem, I haven't had this issue, but would suggest you may want to take this opportunity to upgrade your ps ecu to one from a later model if your car is a 2010 or earlier since the units were changed to improve feel & response (would provide a link to the recent thread on this if I knew how).

isfdude 01-27-16 12:24 AM

Well I work on all cars and have changed many racks on these cars. I'm located in Maspeth queens. I doubt it's both the rack and steering ecu. I've ripped out the rack from accidents and my steering easy was fine even though the rack shorted out the wiring.

kitsune 01-27-16 08:13 AM

If you reported the stolen wheels to your insurance company, they will need to pay you for the repairs that needs to be done as the result from the stolen wheels.

Vervish 01-27-16 09:26 AM

Damn dude..sucks.

If there is a steering rack issue it is most likely a result of them dropping your car while stealing the wheels..you should talk to your insurance company, this should be covered.

Where in NJ did this happen? I want to keep my wheels safe..

Rickna 01-27-16 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by isfdude (Post 9339740)
Well I work on all cars and have changed many racks on these cars. I'm located in Maspeth queens. I doubt it's both the rack and steering ecu. I've ripped out the rack from accidents and my steering easy was fine even though the rack shorted out the wiring.

Small world, I had a factory on Grand Ave, next to the gas tanks.

calteg 01-27-16 01:16 PM

How much of a PITA is it to swap out the racks on these cars?

rmillsISF 01-27-16 01:24 PM

I'd check he tie rods for bends as well. I've driven a car with a bent tie rod and it tracks into the turn instead of returning to center just like you're describing.I can't imagine they'd miss a bent tie rod though!

foxprime 01-27-16 03:39 PM

Sorry to hear, but wouldn't insurance cover the cost to fix this?

Flogrown 01-27-16 05:20 PM

Damn sucks your wheels got stolen. I've been contemplating air ride so I can drop the car to the floor so nobody can get my wheels.

k20trick 01-27-16 06:53 PM

Insurance should cover all damages, did you have locks, I know its probably useless but still adds some time to the theft process should they still desire the need to go for them with the locks on.

isfdude 01-28-16 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rickna (Post 9340490)
Small world, I had a factory on Grand Ave, next to the gas tanks.

That's awesome, the area changed a lot. They took down the tanks some years ago. I actually liked those tanks.

isfdude 01-28-16 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by calteg (Post 9340529)
How much of a PITA is it to swap out the racks on these cars?

It's not as bad as you thing with the RWD Lexus IS models. The hardest part is getting the steering linkage off and making sure the new rack is aligned with the steering and centered perfectly.

waaaa 02-09-16 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by isfdude (Post 9339740)

i can bring the car to you so you can check it?

waaaa 02-09-16 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by tas02 (Post 9339672)
Sorry to hear, that truly sucks. Was it the stock wheels that were nicked, or aftermarket? The oem security nuts are so common that they're about useless.

As for your steering problem, I haven't had this issue, but would suggest you may want to take this opportunity to upgrade your ps ecu to one from a later model if your car is a 2010 or earlier since the units were changed to improve feel & response (would provide a link to the recent thread on this if I knew how).

they were the stock wheels had a few nicks on them . ye i look into the newer ecu