IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How does the IS-F traction control system hold up to other high-end sports cars TCS?

Old 01-16-16, 05:41 AM
Eedo123
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How does the IS-F traction control system hold up to other high-end sports cars TCS?

I've only extensively driven the IS-F, and I am always amazed at how well it keep me planted when its raining and I have it in snow mode. It's like having AWD practically, it impresses me ever ytime. I was just curious, for people who have driven/owned other high-end sports cars (made in the past 10 years or so) is our traction control just as good, or better?
Old 01-16-16, 06:31 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmmm...not that I'm trying to imply the F's traction control system is bad. What I think you're experiencing is the throttle response. If you're running stock tires and drive it in normal or sports mode it's going to slip and you're definitely going to get the tail out. Especially, in the rain. Snow mode is where it's at in the rain👍. Here in Miami it rains constant off and on. While in snow mode the car drives exactly how you described👌
Old 01-16-16, 07:33 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Eedo123
I've only extensively driven the IS-F, and I am always amazed at how well it keep me planted when its raining and I have it in snow mode. It's like having AWD practically, it impresses me ever ytime. I was just curious, for people who have driven/owned other high-end sports cars (made in the past 10 years or so) is our traction control just as good, or better?
its going to come down to the tire, my summer tires are a death wish in winter, no matter in snow mode or not. snow mode cuts the throttle back.
Old 01-16-16, 02:47 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

It cuts throttle and can independently apply the brakes to each wheel if I recall correctly to stop slide, correct yaw....its nothing special.
Old 01-16-16, 06:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
It cuts throttle and can independently apply the brakes to each wheel if I recall correctly to stop slide, correct yaw....its nothing special.
It does all this and will let you do complete idiot things at the track without telling you you're screwing up terribly until your front brakes cook (even with Carbotech XP-12s). AMHIK.
Old 01-17-16, 09:40 AM
souljah798
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Hmmm...not that I'm trying to imply the F's traction control system is bad. What I think you're experiencing is the throttle response. If you're running stock tires and drive it in normal or sports mode it's going to slip and you're definitely going to get the tail out. Especially, in the rain. Snow mode is where it's at in the rain👍. Here in Miami it rains constant off and on. While in snow mode the car drives exactly how you described👌
I didn't think it was all that good in my 08 until I turned it completely off and floored it in sports mode. Almost wet myself, it was all over the place. Definitely gotta get an lsd before I do that again lol
Old 01-17-16, 08:46 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I've owned over 20 sports/sporty cars now and most of them have some form of traction/stability control system. I find the ISF to be the most lenient of them all, in sport mode with all nannies left on, it will let you have lots of fun almost to the point of killing yourself before it stops the party. I LOVE that about our cars.
Old 01-17-16, 08:51 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It does all this and will let you do complete idiot things at the track without telling you you're screwing up terribly until your front brakes cook (even with Carbotech XP-12s). AMHIK.
So will the corvette, while the Corvette has over 200hp more. Just watch the video of the idiot track guy in a rental Z06, going WOT at parts that would have spun him into a wall otherwise.

It's really not anything special anymore, considering most performance cars have something like this. Even the older C5 corvette's active handling could save you after you did something stupid, and that was back in the early 2000s.
Old 01-18-16, 10:44 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Thats crazy wonder how hard you are pushing it, I find it quite hard to even heat up the stock brembos even after back to back 100+mph to dead stops they wont heat ever.... of course at the track...
Old 01-19-16, 09:21 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Saved my *** coming out of a turn hot at 85 mph.

https://www.instagram.com/p/8Ob29cn2z7/

Last edited by Gearbangin; 01-19-16 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-19-16, 05:44 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearbangin

I feel you, I lost control on the streets of willow and hit the dirt, luckily regain with a problem. I assuming ur driving auto mode? You should drive it on the manual mode...looks like the weather seem great....
Old 01-19-16, 06:28 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nice, that could've gotten ugly real quick. What exhaust do you have on your car?
Old 01-19-16, 07:15 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
Very nice, that could've gotten ugly real quick. What exhaust do you have on your car?
PPE headers and Borla w/ Bazooka
Old 01-19-16, 08:55 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

PPE headers and Borla w/ Bazooka
sounds so good.
Old 01-21-16, 05:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I use mine on the track all the time. Its saved me twice from a massive spin. With the much wider track oriented rubber Im on now the light never comes on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How does the IS-F traction control system hold up to other high-end sports cars TCS?