IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake pedal requires a LOT of force to start the car (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 06:18 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Brake pedal requires a LOT of force to start the car (VIDEO)

So I recently did one of the 30k maintenance and went ahead and got my brake fluids flushed. I had my local mechanic put in Motul 600 DOT 4 fluids and I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but ever since then it requires a LOT of force depressed into the brake pedal before I can start my car. I was wondering if this is normal or is it because it's cold in Arizona right now and that's causing it?

My car has only has 33.5k miles on it and everything has been up to date as far as maintenance goes.

EDIT: Car will do this even after 30 seconds of turning off the car. So I don't think it's because I'm letting it sit too long.

Video:

Last edited by F Monster; 01-15-16 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-15-16, 06:27 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

My car does it when it's cold and when I haven't driven it in 3+ weeks.

As long as he bled it correctly and got all the air out of the system, you should be fine.
Old 01-15-16, 06:33 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
My car does it when it's cold and when I haven't driven it in 3+ weeks.

As long as he bled it correctly and got all the air out of the system, you should be fine.
The mechanic has always maintained my family's cars and is a friend of my dad however prior to going to get my brake fluids flushed I read up on some guides online on how to bleed my brakes and I noticed my mechanic never once went inside my car to press on the brakes as many of these "DIY" guides have suggested. Now I'm worried if he did a bad job on my car.
Old 01-15-16, 06:43 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

There's a vacuum check valve you might want to look at. There seems to be several members here who have had this problem, especially when the car sits.

See thread below for details.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...edal-feel.html
Old 01-15-16, 06:45 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Snow
The mechanic has always maintained my family's cars and is a friend of my dad however prior to going to get my brake fluids flushed I read up on some guides online on how to bleed my brakes and I noticed my mechanic never once went inside my car to press on the brakes as many of these "DIY" guides have suggested. Now I'm worried if he did a bad job on my car.
Possibly, although there are some tools that allow them to bleed and refill the system without a second person sitting in the car and pumping the brakes.

I would check Jeff's thread and go from there.
Old 01-15-16, 07:07 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Possibly, although there are some tools that allow them to bleed and refill the system without a second person sitting in the car and pumping the brakes.

I've been using the Motive Products pressurized bleeder, never have to go in the car.
Old 01-15-16, 07:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

How does it feel when you drive the car ? If you have driven it
Old 01-15-16, 07:42 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by j3ff
There's a vacuum check valve you might want to look at. There seems to be several members here who have had this problem, especially when the car sits.

See thread below for details.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...edal-feel.html
Thank you!

Will do~

Originally Posted by Rickna
I've been using the Motive Products pressurized bleeder, never have to go in the car.
Now that you mentioned it, he did used a pressurized bleeder.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
How does it feel when you drive the car ? If you have driven it
The car drives fine, nothing wrong with it other than when it comes to starting it.
Old 01-15-16, 07:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Mine did this " stiff pedal" thing after I got it back and when I called they said it was because when I get in I keep touching the brake pedal before I start the car. In my case they were right. If you tap it more than 2-3 times before you start it it does super firm. I would be more suspicious in your case because you just had the fluid replaced. In my case it was rotors and pas only, but I just panicked .
Old 01-15-16, 09:05 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Mine did this " stiff pedal" thing after I got it back and when I called they said it was because when I get in I keep touching the brake pedal before I start the car. In my case they were right. If you tap it more than 2-3 times before you start it it does super firm. I would be more suspicious in your case because you just had the fluid replaced. In my case it was rotors and pas only, but I just panicked .
Oh okay, I'll definitely try to pay attention next time then. I'll keep note of it and see if this continues throughout January. I'm sure it's nothing major but it's just something out of the ordinary since I've taken ownership of this F.
Old 01-15-16, 09:13 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Just did my brakes (oem rotors pads) as well as bled the system using toyota fluid. Mine did that only after first start after the install, after that it's like butter. Thats strange that it still does that for you. I know what your experiencing as I freaked out when the car wouldnt start even while pressing the pedal hard, thought I missed something during the install, but it worked out fine after all...
Old 01-16-16, 07:21 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

The
Originally Posted by Snow
Oh okay, I'll definitely try to pay attention next time then. I'll keep note of it and see if this continues throughout January. I'm sure it's nothing major but it's just something out of the ordinary since I've taken ownership of this F.
I watched your video...

The check valve will only hold boost enough to press the brake pedal once or twice and start the car..

After 2-3 + pumps of the brake pedal, with the car off, the boost is gone and the pedal becomes dead basically..
Super Rock Hard !!

So your test.. Start car.. Turn off.. (Don't touch the brake pedal)

Next morning - Press brake pedal once & start car immediately..

If the pedal is soft, all is working well

Notes for all.. Stop pressing the brake pedal multiple times with the car off

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-16-16 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-16-16, 09:17 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The

I watched your video...

The check valve will only hold boost enough to press the brake pedal once or twice and start the car..

After 2-3 + pumps of the brake pedal, with the car off, the boost is gone and the pedal becomes dead basically..
Super Rock Hard !!

So your test.. Start car.. Turn off.. (Don't touch the brake pedal)

Next morning - Press brake pedal once & start car immediately..

If the pedal is soft, all is working well

Notes for all.. Stop pressing the brake pedal multiple times with the car off

Joe Z
Yeah I did it for video purposes but at that time even if I didn't press on the brakes multiple times it would still get super stiff after 30 sec - a minute. However all day today, including the morning start up, there are no more stiff brakes. I'm not sure if the problem went away on its own but I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the tip though! 👍
Old 01-17-16, 11:09 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Just an update, ever since the dealer changed out my brake cylinder booster (under warranty), I have never had an issue with the stiff pedal on start up. Even after the car has been sitting for a couple of weeks in the dead of winter.

Not sure if it was the booster or the check (presumably they changed both when changing the booster) but all is good now.
Old 01-17-16, 11:19 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
Just an update, ever since the dealer changed out my brake cylinder booster (under warranty), I have never had an issue with the stiff pedal on start up. Even after the car has been sitting for a couple of weeks in the dead of winter.

Not sure if it was the booster or the check (presumably they changed both when changing the booster) but all is good now.
I had the same thing. Bad seal in the master cylinder caused brake fluid to enter the booster.

I knew this because the brake fluid required topping up frequently.

Digger08

Quick Reply: Brake pedal requires a LOT of force to start the car (VIDEO)