IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Newer RCF/GSF Motor in ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-16, 03:21 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Newer RCF/GSF Motor in ISF?

So just for giggles is it possible to install the higher HP motor from the newer Fs into an ISF? What would be involved to make it work? Is there already a thread on this subject?
Old 01-12-16, 05:15 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I be that guy and say that a job like that would be a complete waste of money and resources! I would rather do a 2JZ swap at that point rather than putting in the motor that only cranks out 60-80 more ponies than ours... ( hell i think someone up here is doing that or has done it)

IDK.. maybe im talking out loud here....
Old 01-12-16, 05:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Im going to be the guy who says for the cost you could literally dump the ISF and just put the money down on a newer car. DONE !!!
Old 01-12-16, 05:39 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it would be easier just to slap headers and exhaust on the ISF.

Should put us right around 490ish HP, compared to 467hp from the updated version in the RCF/GSF.
Old 01-12-16, 06:02 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475
So just for giggles is it possible to install the higher HP motor from the newer Fs into an ISF? What would be involved to make it work? Is there already a thread on this subject?
It has been done but by Lexus , where money wasnt an issue. They used the RCF engine in the ISF CCSR at Thunderhill and Pikes Peak.

Last edited by NotnFsport; 01-12-16 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-12-16, 06:27 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NotnFsport
It has been done but by Lexus , where money wasnt an issue. They used the RCF engine in the ISF CCSR at Thunderhill and Pikes Peak.
Okay, I see that now.

"In 2014, Lexus fitted the IS F CCS-R with the newly developed V8 engine, which was specially designed for the all new RC F. The IS F CCS-R combines seamless acceleration with outstanding control to ensure maximum enjoyment for racers. The new 5.0 litre V8 engine has a maximum output of 477 horsepower."

http://www.lexus.com.hk/data/files/20141031_Lexus%20Ignition%20of%20F%20Party_Post-event_Eng_Final.pdf

Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-12-16, 09:28 PM
Sci
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RCF engine *is* the ISF engine, its still a 2UR-GSE, just with increased compression ratio and obviously a revised ECU
Old 01-12-16, 10:16 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sci
The RCF engine *is* the ISF engine, its still a 2UR-GSE, just with increased compression ratio and obviously a revised ECU
And almost a complete swap of all its internals!

Like others have said, it might be cheaper to swap into an rcf or just rebuild your ISF motor to rcf spec.
Old 02-05-16, 03:50 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Default RCF Motor Swap Into ISF

Just ran across this...

Old 02-05-16, 08:46 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that the RCF and GSF(and later down the line the LC500) are in full swing production, the 2UR-GSE engine is here to stay. With that said, it won't be long you will find JDM front clips and engines for sub-$5000. So why not do a swap when lets say you put ~200k miles on your ISF. This is what helped the Supra evolve in to a powerhouse, cause 2JZ engines became cheap and plentiful, and tuners were able to push that engine to its limits; which also resulted in a huge aftermarket. I know guys that blew 2-3 2JZ engines like nothing, cause you can easily turn around and source another long block for $2-3k and swap all your parts over.
Old 02-06-16, 11:54 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

^^^^^^
What Fsport2UR said... not for today, but for the future.
Old 02-08-16, 12:14 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
Now that the RCF and GSF(and later down the line the LC500) are in full swing production, the 2UR-GSE engine is here to stay. With that said, it won't be long you will find JDM front clips and engines for sub-$5000. So why not do a swap when lets say you put ~200k miles on your ISF. This is what helped the Supra evolve in to a powerhouse, cause 2JZ engines became cheap and plentiful, and tuners were able to push that engine to its limits; which also resulted in a huge aftermarket. I know guys that blew 2-3 2JZ engines like nothing, cause you can easily turn around and source another long block for $2-3k and swap all your parts over.
??? Short blocks were $1600. They made a bad batch that spun rod bearings (I have one sitting in my garage waiting for the day I have time to fix it - not from my car though). The 2JZ was "cheap and plentiful" because it was originally designed to be a forklift engine. The high nickel content in the block allowed it to survive ridiculous boost, and a legend was born.

The head is the limiting factor on any 2JZ engine. Primitively inadequate squish lands and horrible port design conspire to make it far less than it could have been even stock. The best 2JZ head is still sitting in a piece of aluminum billet somewhere.
Old 02-09-16, 12:55 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
??? Short blocks were $1600. They made a bad batch that spun rod bearings (I have one sitting in my garage waiting for the day I have time to fix it - not from my car though). The 2JZ was "cheap and plentiful" because it was originally designed to be a forklift engine. The high nickel content in the block allowed it to survive ridiculous boost, and a legend was born.

The head is the limiting factor on any 2JZ engine. Primitively inadequate squish lands and horrible port design conspire to make it far less than it could have been even stock. The best 2JZ head is still sitting in a piece of aluminum billet somewhere.
Complete brand new short blocks were cheaper back in the days...they have gone up since then. I just placed an order on one last week for $2550 shipped to my door. And people were telling me I got a good deal.
Old 02-09-16, 01:39 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
With this & your history of working with Toyota engines in mind, what's your overall opinion of our 2UR-GSE engines?
Old 02-09-16, 01:54 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
Complete brand new short blocks were cheaper back in the days...they have gone up since then. I just placed an order on one last week for $2550 shipped to my door. And people were telling me I got a good deal.
Oh yeah 2j short blocks used to be cheap back in the day. Wish I could go back in time sometimes.

Quick Reply: Newer RCF/GSF Motor in ISF?