IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

A Glimmer of Hope for Tuning? (Don't Hold Your Breath)

Old 01-12-16, 06:11 AM
giblet
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PDP180180
I'm already on it! Lol.

Looks like UK ECU can be done by Rafi as well mate.

I'll probably get mine done when money and travels allow (makes sense to do it when I am in NJ/PA/NY on business next).
Might need you to take mine over with you

Viewing that car this Saturday so this news has come at a cracking time.
Old 01-12-16, 06:52 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by giblet
Might need you to take mine over with you

Viewing that car this Saturday so this news has come at a cracking time.
I'm sure we can sort something out closer to the time mate.

Good luck with the viewing. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns etc.
Old 01-12-16, 08:00 AM
bentobob
Driver School Candidate

Not quite sure how the programming might change, however It would be nice to be able to keep the Comfortable Granny driving mode if only for rush hour driving. Id hate to rear-end someone because of a twitch.
Old 01-12-16, 08:40 AM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Will this have the ability to turn off the CEL for folks running aftermarket headers? The 02 simulators seem like a hack-job workaround
Old 01-12-16, 09:05 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by calteg
Will this have the ability to turn off the CEL for folks running aftermarket headers? The 02 simulators seem like a hack-job workaround
they are plug and play harnesses now i believe from PPE.
Old 01-12-16, 11:37 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Question:

Is there any concern of Lexus being able to login to your car through any available services (like other cars equipped with wifi hotspots, cellular services or Bluetooth) and possibly changing whatever turn you might do? There's already plenty of evidence of hackers being able to log into CAN bus systems for OBD systems that can control anything that's controlled by computers.

http://www.autosec.org/pubs/cars-usenixsec2011.pdf

So anyways, it may sound paranoid but it's highly unlikely mfg'er are not already aware and possibly exploiting vehicular controls to control warranty cost associated with "tuning" their cars. I'm new to Lexus but not new to vulnerabilities.
Old 01-12-16, 11:42 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

sub'd
Old 01-12-16, 11:56 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is my wish list:

At least 7200 RPM rev limiter
Better throttle response
400 WHP with flash and full exhaust (stock exhaust manifolds with both main cats)
420-430 WHP with flash and full header+exhaust. No cats. With O2 CEL eliminated without the need for (conditioners/simulators)

A Hondata reflash transformed my RSX Type S into a beast (relatively speaking) so I have high faith in a well tuned flash.

Last edited by RSXiMUS; 01-12-16 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-12-16, 12:03 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475
Question:

Is there any concern of Lexus being able to login to your car through any available services (like other cars equipped with wifi hotspots, cellular services or Bluetooth) and possibly changing whatever turn you might do? There's already plenty of evidence of hackers being able to log into CAN bus systems for OBD systems that can control anything that's controlled by computers.

http://www.autosec.org/pubs/cars-usenixsec2011.pdf

So anyways, it may sound paranoid but it's highly unlikely mfg'er are not already aware and possibly exploiting vehicular controls to control warranty cost associated with "tuning" their cars. I'm new to Lexus but not new to vulnerabilities.
I don't think the ISF is advanced enough to receive over the air (OTA) updates nor does Lexus have the ability to "log in" to our cars wirelessly to see if we've been good or bad.

I know my 335i used to trip "tuner codes" when I had my JB4 tune, a BT cable was needed to erase it before going into the dealership. Then again they would only see it once the car is there and plugged into their computer, not wireless or anything....
Old 01-12-16, 01:16 PM
USB_F
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS

A Hondata reflash transformed my RSX Type S into a beast (relatively speaking) so I have high faith in a well tuned flash.

LOL - mine too
Old 01-12-16, 01:23 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

GIAC did good things for my A4 at a reasonable price. If this can actually be done, I'm in.
Old 01-12-16, 02:43 PM
giblet
Rookie

Originally Posted by PDP180180
I'm sure we can sort something out closer to the time mate.

Good luck with the viewing. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns etc.
Cheers. I'll keep you updated.

Rafi - Will the new tune allow you to disable the upshift and downshift beeps?
Old 01-12-16, 03:07 PM
SlayaP
Driver School Candidate

ill be here waiting
Old 01-12-16, 03:16 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
I don't think the ISF is advanced enough to receive over the air (OTA) updates nor does Lexus have the ability to "log in" to our cars wirelessly to see if we've been good or bad.

I know my 335i used to trip "tuner codes" when I had my JB4 tune, a BT cable was needed to erase it before going into the dealership. Then again they would only see it once the car is there and plugged into their computer, not wireless or anything....
10-4

Thanks for the information. I don't know what's involved in "cracking" the computer and was just curious if the reason performance parts seem to take 500-1000 miles before it corrects itself and essentially detunes the car was, for some reason, due to Lexus parental controls (active or passive).
Old 01-12-16, 04:33 PM
Sci
Driver School Candidate

As long as the right tables and target values are changed in the ECU the car will not "detune" itself. The fact that this has happened up til now is because either the wrong tables have been changed or more likely nothing been changed at all....

To give an example, there are some trim values for air:fuel ratios which adjust slowly, over a period of time. Put a bolt-on intake part or headers onto the car and they might initially affect the AFR slightly which will give the appearance of more power, but if the target value of the AFR trim remains the same (typically very rich at WOT) the ECU will over time adjust its fuelling to try to reach that original AFR once again, and any power gains disappear...

Last edited by Sci; 01-12-16 at 04:43 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Glimmer of Hope for Tuning? (Don't Hold Your Breath)