IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF track day photo gallery and video thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-18, 02:37 AM
Piciu
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

And finally it happened! After 2 failed attempts, my F hit The Ring! The Nurburgring!
I've been there quite a few times, but it was my first time with an F. This time weather forecast was perfect, I could get some days off so finally we went My car is 2012 OEM, the only mods are Project Mu HC+ pads in front and Enkei PF-01 with square 265x35x18 CUP2 tires. I was running 2.2 bar hot front and 2.1 bar hot rear, which I found helped rear-end stability at high speeds.

Soon I will upload some videos and photos, but first I wanted to share with you my impressions on how car performed on this crazy circuit. During 1 day I did 20-21 laps, all in sport mode, as I don't dare to turn off ESP completely there. Nurburgring is a crazy track with literally no run-off and as I get more-mature, safety of me and my passenger is crucial. And, of course, I don't want to crash the car (once crashed on the ring, mostly it's totalled...)

The good things:
- brakes!!! These are THE BEST brakes I've ever had on any car, with HC+ didn't fade almost at all and they were reassuring all the time + great pedal feel - honestly, I don't believe you need anything more than good pads on these brakes (other than for show-off...
- engine power is great, not many cars pull-off from me easily, gearbox works very well - I hit 270 kmh at the end of straight
- rear traction
- uniqueness - among all these BMWs and Porsches, it felt like something really special
- universality - I did 650km to the Ring, driving 450km on track and 650km back home - on the same CUP2 tires, with music and air-con. This car blends Hyde and Jekkel perfectly!
- reliability - the only damage is broken rubber exhaust mount - already exchanged in 10mins by friendly Lexus dealership

The bad things:
- oil temperature going up very quickly - cooler would be needed for more serious tracking
- weight can be felt at slow corners, too much body roll
- high-speed corners with vertical imperfections stability not great - one can feel that rear of the car (not axle, but body work as such) is a bit flimsy, which at 160 kmh+ speeds gets scary - partially I blame stock suspension being too soft, partially weight, partially all the bushings - the fact is that lowered e90 330i felt more solid under the same conditions. On the other hand, my F is more comfy on the road, so it's a trade off I guess

In general I was very happy with the car, so was my passenger, who survived all 20 laps with me, but then admitted that he was on the limit.
I didn't measure time when on track - once again, I have respect for Nurburgring and I know I'm not Schumacher... but it looks like from the videos that my best full-lap (20.8 km) was 8:59, which is good enough for me. Especially that I know that in some places I was not pushing really hard.

Once I have some photos / videos, I will post them here. Cheers!
The following 5 users liked this post by Piciu:
autoz4me (07-11-18), IronNam (04-26-18), isfvss (04-25-18), MileHIFcar (04-25-18), mrfurlly (04-25-18)
Old 04-25-18, 05:19 AM
Piciu
Rookie

A few photos:

The following 5 users liked this post by Piciu:
autoz4me (07-11-18), BS ISF (04-25-18), IronNam (04-26-18), mikersoft (04-26-18), NebulaISF (04-25-18)
Old 04-25-18, 06:32 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm a sucker for panning shots so that 1st shot is amazing.
Old 04-25-18, 10:41 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Piciu, beautiful photos
Old 04-25-18, 03:02 PM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Piciu
And finally it happened! After 2 failed attempts, my F hit The Ring! The Nurburgring!
I've been there quite a few times, but it was my first time with an F. This time weather forecast was perfect, I could get some days off so finally we went My car is 2012 OEM, the only mods are Project Mu HC+ pads in front and Enkei PF-01 with square 265x35x18 CUP2 tires. I was running 2.2 bar hot front and 2.1 bar hot rear, which I found helped rear-end stability at high speeds.

Soon I will upload some videos and photos, but first I wanted to share with you my impressions on how car performed on this crazy circuit. During 1 day I did 20-21 laps, all in sport mode, as I don't dare to turn off ESP completely there. Nurburgring is a crazy track with literally no run-off and as I get more-mature, safety of me and my passenger is crucial. And, of course, I don't want to crash the car (once crashed on the ring, mostly it's totalled...)

The good things:
- brakes!!! These are THE BEST brakes I've ever had on any car, with HC+ didn't fade almost at all and they were reassuring all the time + great pedal feel - honestly, I don't believe you need anything more than good pads on these brakes (other than for show-off...
- engine power is great, not many cars pull-off from me easily, gearbox works very well - I hit 270 kmh at the end of straight
- rear traction
- uniqueness - among all these BMWs and Porsches, it felt like something really special
- universality - I did 650km to the Ring, driving 450km on track and 650km back home - on the same CUP2 tires, with music and air-con. This car blends Hyde and Jekkel perfectly!
- reliability - the only damage is broken rubber exhaust mount - already exchanged in 10mins by friendly Lexus dealership

The bad things:
- oil temperature going up very quickly - cooler would be needed for more serious tracking
- weight can be felt at slow corners, too much body roll
- high-speed corners with vertical imperfections stability not great - one can feel that rear of the car (not axle, but body work as such) is a bit flimsy, which at 160 kmh+ speeds gets scary - partially I blame stock suspension being too soft, partially weight, partially all the bushings - the fact is that lowered e90 330i felt more solid under the same conditions. On the other hand, my F is more comfy on the road, so it's a trade off I guess

In general I was very happy with the car, so was my passenger, who survived all 20 laps with me, but then admitted that he was on the limit.
I didn't measure time when on track - once again, I have respect for Nurburgring and I know I'm not Schumacher... but it looks like from the videos that my best full-lap (20.8 km) was 8:59, which is good enough for me. Especially that I know that in some places I was not pushing really hard.

Once I have some photos / videos, I will post them here. Cheers!
Nice! Looking forward to the videos!
Old 04-26-18, 06:11 AM
Piciu
Rookie

Thanks guys, I will try to post video soon.
Old 05-04-18, 06:42 AM
Piciu
Rookie

And here comes first video:

To see in full screen, just get it on youtube:
20180420 is-f nordschleife
The following 2 users liked this post by Piciu:
BS ISF (05-04-18), Teutonic (05-05-18)
Old 05-05-18, 03:20 AM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Nice line, and used most of the track!--I've done and a lot of laps in iRacing. Do you have any videos with speed/rpm? Thanks for sharing! Hope to see more.
Old 05-13-18, 02:01 AM
Piciu
Rookie

Unfortunately no videos with rpm/speed.

Here comes another one, 2 full laps with some other nice cars:
- Papa Smurf
- GT3 x2
- Cayman
- S4 avant

Enjoy!
The following 4 users liked this post by Piciu:
autoz4me (07-11-18), lobuxracer (05-13-18), mikersoft (05-14-18), Teutonic (05-13-18)
Old 06-01-18, 06:22 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I've uploaded some video from my last two track days, each on a different circuit at Summit Point Motorsports Park.

-Mike

Old 07-09-18, 10:25 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Some footage from my last track day ~10 days ago.. There were a lot more cars in my group this time, which makes it a bit more interesting to watch.

-Mike

The following users liked this post:
BS ISF (07-09-18)
Old 07-12-18, 12:04 AM
autoz4me
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Piciu
Unfortunately no videos with rpm/speed.

Here comes another one, 2 full laps with some other nice cars:
- Papa Smurf
- GT3 x2
- Cayman
- S4 avant

Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/UiajgfPaV50
Nice vids too me the Nurburgring looks like an intimidating place so i commend those brave enough to go ***** out on that track.
Grip wise what sought of rubber do you use round there.

Ive always wondered why so few that track there cars don't use a full race slick.I no it's harder on the car but at the track with grip being the limiting factor why a lot choose to use basically a street tyre.
Old 07-12-18, 03:19 AM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by autoz4me
Ive always wondered why so few that track there cars don't use a full race slick.I no it's harder on the car but at the track with grip being the limiting factor why a lot choose to use basically a street tyre.
The stickier the tire, yes the faster you get, assuming you have the required ability, but I believe it is harder on the car. More tire grip allows harder braking, cornering, etc. You'll introduce a lot more heat to your brakes, tax your suspension more, and increase drivetrain temps with the faster speeds. The stickier tires also cost more and wear out more quickly.
Old 07-12-18, 07:53 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by autoz4me
also using full racing tires are pretty much like cheating yourself if you're inexperienced. it lets you get away with a lot of stuff you'd never get away with on a street tire. you learn nothing about the cars handling and grip and you don't teach yourself how the car behaves. advancing thru tire compounds after you've become familiar with car setup and feel benefits faster lap times. understanding how your car reacts and behaves at its threshold on street tires will help you more in real life driving situations than race tires imo.
Old 07-13-18, 08:38 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Cooling off before another quarter mile. Beat a hellcat.... best night ever!

Quick Reply: ISF track day photo gallery and video thread!