IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

i F the S.O.W. last run of the year.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-15, 12:47 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts
Default i F the S.O.W. last run of the year.

Hello peeps, I just wanted to share some run that I did yesterday at streets of willow. It was a corvette challenge as well. I signed up late for this event because I wasn't too sure if the weather permits me to go. Guess what? the weather yesterday was excellent. Unfortunately, the first run of the day from another group had a car flipped over, he was alright but his car is not. It was at the same area where the chicane is at, it was noted during the meeting that they added some cones at that section of the track to minimize crashes and losing control of the car. Well guess what, I almost ending up at the dirt. I joined the blue group (novice) since I don't know the drive line and we have limited point by. I paid for an instructor to be with me in the car and show me line and it was well worth it. Most guys in my group told me that I should've been on the next group with intermediates, that includes my instructor, but I wasn't confident enough...I'm being a little chicken...anyway here it is..

enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails i F the S.O.W. last run of the year.-wp_20151101_12_48_48_pro-1-.jpg  
Old 11-02-15, 03:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Dude !! Very cool !! Glad you had a chance to get her out there. Streets of willow is a badass track. Looks great with those sweepers and long straights. The track I hit on halloween was the opposite. Very technical and tight and slower. You did great. Try to use the cones more as a clipping point. Those cones are placed on the track so you know where to aim the apex clipping point. Where is is exactly. People in AZ always confuse Chuckwalla for Willow

Thanks for sharing the video !!!
Old 11-02-15, 04:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Sorry but Streets is tiny. You want the big track at Willow Springs if you want to go fast. Bill Huth has been advertising it as "the fastest road in the West" for years, and he's right. If you can't hit 140 mph on the front straight in an IS F, you suck at driving.
The Streets is a low-speed track. My average speed around the track is about 60mph. Yep you heard it right. It's only 60mph on average. To compare, my average speed at the Big Track is about 87mph and at Buttonwillow 13 CW about 75mph. You use mostly 2nd, 3rd gears at the Streets. One might pop into the 4th gear but not for long. To me, the Streets is like an outdoor kart track but designed for cars. You can slide around almost every corner. You hardly have time to check your gauges and you're always tackling corners.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-02-15 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-02-15, 05:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sorry but Streets is tiny. You want the big track at Willow Springs if you want to go fast. Bill Huth has been advertising it as "the fastest road in the West" for years, and he's right. If you can't hit 140 mph on the front straight in an IS F, you suck at driving.
woops. I was confusing the two then. This track he was on still had longer straights then the small and technical course I was on this weekend. Theses flowing tracks suit the weight and power of the F better. This is why I enjoy AMP and WHP east the most in AZ
Old 11-02-15, 06:47 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yeah lance, street is too tiny track. At the meeting, the organizer reminds us that these track owns by the miatas. Although, there was a corvette challenge that day, its too crowded on the corners. And also, there were a lot of spin outs that day. At least 6 on the corvette, mr2, frs/brz and civic si that flipped over, luckily landed back on top again. The spin out and the car that flipped over happens at the end of chicane, its definitely not a fast track, you get only one straight away. I think its more for frs/brz miata size vehicle is suitable for that track. Next time, ill try the big willow or the button willow in Bakersfield. Well I had a blast driving the car... the car feels kinda heavy on corner though.
Old 11-02-15, 06:52 PM
Jaysmith2k
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those were great videos. I was just chomping at the bit waiting for that Miata to wave you by!
Old 11-02-15, 07:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chris07is
Yeah lance, street is too tiny track. At the meeting, the organizer reminds us that these track owns by the miatas. Although, there was a corvette challenge that day, its too crowded on the corners. And also, there were a lot of spin outs that day. At least 6 on the corvette, mr2, frs/brz and civic si that flipped over, luckily landed back on top again. The spin out and the car that flipped over happens at the end of chicane, its definitely not a fast track, you get only one straight away. I think its more for frs/brz miata size vehicle is suitable for that track. Next time, ill try the big willow or the button willow in Bakersfield. Well I had a blast driving the car... the car feels kinda heavy on corner though.

Yeah the F doesnt like tight turns or hair pins. I prefer tracks with sweepers. Suits the power and the weight. The F feels firm on the street but rolls a bit on track. I want sway bars. Might do the RR Racing coils down the line but I will roll at stock height or damn near it, but would only do that down the line.
Old 11-02-15, 11:07 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I just got your text right now, Chris. Great videos! Wish I could've joined you, as the weather looked to be outstanding, even without the luxury of a covered garage area we had at Auto Club Speedway. We'll round up some locals for some future track events. It's great to see the IS F tackle some track courses, big or small. Whether SOW or the Big Track, there is always something new to learn while driving, and you get to appreciate the car even more .
Old 11-03-15, 09:06 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
[/B]

Yeah the F doesnt like tight turns or hair pins. I prefer tracks with sweepers. Suits the power and the weight. The F feels firm on the street but rolls a bit on track. I want sway bars. Might do the RR Racing coils down the line but I will roll at stock height or damn near it, but would only do that down the line.
yeah, I'm looking at the rr bushing as well. But next time i'll hit the big willow, which is right next to it. That's where randy pobst test the rc-f, m4 and the rs4 back then.

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I just got your text right now, Chris. Great videos! Wish I could've joined you, as the weather looked to be outstanding, even without the luxury of a covered garage area we had at Auto Club Speedway. We'll round up some locals for some future track events. It's great to see the IS F tackle some track courses, big or small. Whether SOW or the Big Track, there is always something new to learn while driving, and you get to appreciate the car even more .
Yeah, it was awesome. Yes, we have the garage at the auto club speedway which is great. Here, geez it gets really, really dusty...other than that it bad *** track. although, it took me 1 1/2hr drive but well worth it. Next time we should hit the BIG WILLOW, if not, maybe the BUTTONWILLOW.
Old 11-03-15, 10:31 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Streets is a small track but high powered cars can enjoy it too. I've seen Corvettes and Viper ACR's tackle that track and not have an issue with the hairpins and tight corners. This track isn't heavily favored in power but its nto to say you can't have fun in it.

The only reason why the ISF is so slow on it is because its just too heavy and it'll just understeer like no other on all the hairpins. I went on a ride along in a Corvette and half the time it was sideways lol.

Were you timed? I'm assuming you wern't since you didn't try the faster groups but its definitely more fun to get timed to see how you progress.
Old 11-03-15, 10:41 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

fast track or slow track......at least the dude gets his car on the track . Much respect for that.
Old 11-03-15, 12:28 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Streets is a small track but high powered cars can enjoy it too. I've seen Corvettes and Viper ACR's tackle that track and not have an issue with the hairpins and tight corners. This track isn't heavily favored in power but its nto to say you can't have fun in it.

The only reason why the ISF is so slow on it is because its just too heavy and it'll just understeer like no other on all the hairpins. I went on a ride along in a Corvette and half the time it was sideways lol.

Were you timed? I'm assuming you wern't since you didn't try the faster groups but its definitely more fun to get timed to see how you progress.
No, I didn't have the transponder. I wanted to learn the drive line. After my first session with an instructor, I went on a ride along with him in a miata, he's in the advanced group, I think green or black.. HIs car is all caged up and stripped. He warned me if its too fast for me I can just let him know, but his car was soo stable, it felt like a go kart. I rode with him the whole time and asked if I felt uncomfortable, I was like NO. His miata is very nimble and great on the corners, but obviously its under power. I could've move up with the purple group, intermediate point by passing, but I decided to stick with my group, although drivers in my group told me to move up as well....
Next time ill hit the big willow, I did auto club with brian a while back and I hit 140 on the roval, scary as hell but, its a blast too...

fast track or slow track......at least the dude gets his car on the track . Much respect for that.
Thanx tammer, YOU TRACK ADDICT!!!!..lol..
Old 11-03-15, 01:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chris07is
No, I didn't have the transponder. I wanted to learn the drive line. After my first session with an instructor, I went on a ride along with him in a miata, he's in the advanced group, I think green or black.. HIs car is all caged up and stripped. He warned me if its too fast for me I can just let him know, but his car was soo stable, it felt like a go kart. I rode with him the whole time and asked if I felt uncomfortable, I was like NO. His miata is very nimble and great on the corners, but obviously its under power. I could've move up with the purple group, intermediate point by passing, but I decided to stick with my group, although drivers in my group told me to move up as well....
Next time ill hit the big willow, I did auto club with brian a while back and I hit 140 on the roval, scary as hell but, its a blast too...

Thanx tammer, YOU TRACK ADDICT!!!!..lol..
haha much respect buddy !! One time when I head to Downey to visit family I'll have to hit you and Manuel up for a meet and greet. Keeping doing what you do buddy and make sure to share those videos.
Old 11-03-15, 05:06 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

haha much respect buddy !! One time when I head to Downey to visit family I'll have to hit you and Manuel up for a meet and greet. Keeping doing what you do buddy and make sure to share those videos.
Ride on tammer, let me know when. We have a pretty decent amount of is f'ers here in so.cal, so whenever you come here well do a meet.
Old 11-03-15, 05:53 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ this. you guys need to have more meets lol

Quick Reply: i F the S.O.W. last run of the year.