IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Am I being unrealistic with my expectations when buying a used ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-15, 01:44 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Not sure about your monetary status but for me spending $35-50K on a car is a huge deal. Aside from the family mini vans which I pay on average around $20K, my own personal DD have always been around $10K so when I bought my 2012 ISF last year it was a heck of a major purchase. I can totally see the importance of getting a car exactly the way you want it when you are spending that kind of money.

Admittedly I put a lot of faith in the CPO status of my lexus as I bought it sight unseen from a Lexus dealer about 4 hours away. In the end I think I did ok except that I believe I got short changed on the tires. I think however if I were to do this again I will take the time and go and check out the car myself before finalizing any deal.

Hope you get what you want.
Old 10-20-15, 01:49 PM
XutvJet
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The response: $49,250 with the stock intake put back on. LOL. They're playing the game wrong. I responded back nicely and said thanks, but $47,000 with the existing intake is what I'm willing do. No more.

We'll see.
Old 10-20-15, 01:59 PM
psixtc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Miqueaseli
Last one another 2012 white one for 39k psixtc I think his member name .
You are correct
In the Northern KY area (~10 miles south of Cincinnati, OH)

I agree on the intake issue. If they won't swap it out for you, you may be able to see if anyone is up for a trade or buy a stock one and sell the aftermarket one in the classifieds to recoup some of the cost. Might be worth it to talk to the dealership into lowering the price to offset the cost of the stock intake setup.

Here's what you would need assuming the intake elbow, clamps, fasteners, and air box assy needs to be purchased:

Air Cleaner Assy (17700-38151): $755.69
Air Cleaner Hose Assy (17880-38020): $99.61
Clamp #1 (17891-38030): $5.83
Clamp #2 (90460-95005): $4.68
Air Cleaner Support (17769-31030): $2.10
Bolt w/Washer (90119-06953): $1.01

These are all retail prices and could probably find them cheaper online.
Old 10-20-15, 02:27 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There's a stock complete intake in orange county California 300 for it .if that's the deal breaker.http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/5267683074.html
Old 10-20-15, 02:31 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by XutvJet
OKC isn't really local to me (6 hours) but I do have a work colleague there that could go look at the car for me. I just sent the dealership a "what's your best offer" email. It's a starting point in the game. They're asking $48,870 for mostly loaded silver/red 2013 with 16K miles, one owner, trade in,L-certified. The price is actually really good per KBB and NADA. It's been on their lot for 5 weeks. These cars just sit on lots because so few know about them. We'll see how interested they are in moving it. They know my concerns about the intake and are aware that I have a local "inspector" to verify condition. The car sounds really good otherwise.
Wait it out if you can. 2014 ultra white here in socal sold few months ago for 53k. Also a silver 2014 in a jaguar dealership in Texas sold for very low 50s. Both are members can't recall names . Patience is a virtue lol.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-24-15 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 02:32 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Have you tried Auto Trader? I've been looking myself for a 2013-2013 and noticed that there are a lot of choices if you want to spend 50k. My limit is low 40's and that's hard in my area (Seattle) due to inventory.

Good luck in your search.
Old 10-20-15, 06:31 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The response: $49,250 with the stock intake put back on. LOL. They're playing the game wrong. I responded back nicely and said thanks, but $47,000 with the existing intake is what I'm willing do. No more.

We'll see.

Well man just like everyone else here, waiting is probably the best thing you can do for these cars and DONT SETTLE... if it isnt what you want.. move on there is inventory you just may have to travle for ir. I was about to settle on an clean Silver L certified 09 at Sewel Lexus in Dallas but the USB 2011 that i got showed up a few hrs after i spoke with the sales guys and i inquired about that one...

I live in Nor Cal and i couldn't find the right ISF i wanted. I was willing to travel to Chicago, Green Bay WI and Dallas Texas for one. I was talking to three dealers at once. 2 were L certified and the 3rd one in Houston was not. Turns out the one in Houston was maintained at the Lexus dealer its whole life and I paid 125 bucks for the pre purchase inspection. While there they did the cooling fan recall and replaced the rad that had a hole in it from a rock "FOR FREE" that was a $1200 job. The car needed tires Bad and brakes and the seller and i worked on that price because driving back to Cali on those tires wasn't going to be safe. I asked the Service advisor his professional opinion after the inspection came back perfect (all of this was done over the phone/ email as I was still in cali and had not seen the car yet) and he told me, "dude get this ISF!! I haven't seen many in this condition and if you don't, i will " .... So i booked my flight flew out 2 days later and drove home 2300 miles in 2 days back to Sacramento... completely worth it..

If these dealers aren't going to budge and you don't want to deal with the Intake issue, then find one that will. If you want a 2013 USB no sunroof ISF in WI, let me know i have the sales guys info and he is a stand up dude. I almost pulled the trigger with him but i wanted a sunroof and ML sound ( this one doesn't have it) so i went with the 2011..
The following users liked this post:
NICKLASISF (09-20-21)
Old 10-20-15, 08:23 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Patience is the name of the game here. I was searching for mine for over 2+ years. I'm very picky as well, had to be SFP exterior, black interior, Mark Levison and preferably 2012+. I used Autotrader, Carmax, and Cars.com religiously everyday but never found one either near me or for the right price. After checking the classifieds a dozen time, I found a seller who had what I was looking for and was located in California (I live in Arizona). The drive was about 12 hours give or take with rest stops one way. Car was in mint condition and loaded with takeda intake, JoeZ exhaust, Swift springs, clear bra, and came with stock parts and a clean history record. Also had Lexus of Concord do a Prepurchase Inspection before I bought it as well for extra safety measures. The owner was also very humble and nice, and just judging by his character, he definitely babied the car. He sold it to me for $42.5k, 28k on the odometer before I took it back to Arizona.

So trust me when I say it's out there, and you just gotta be patient.

Last edited by F Monster; 10-20-15 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 09:45 PM
nicksamba
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2011 Silver with some goodies still attached. It has 20k on the odo if you are willing to go back 1 more year.
Old 10-21-15, 04:22 AM
YotaLex
Driver

It took me a few months of searching.... It got aggrevating, I went to 2 different states and didnt make a deal. I ended up getting an 08, as it was within my means...
I ended paying about 6k over budget for the cleanest Lexus CPO I laid my eyes on.
New pads and tires were thrown in for my 12 hour trip.

I guess what I'm saying is there is an F out there that fits your needs. Just be patient & good luck, bud.
Old 10-21-15, 08:17 AM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

took me 6 months to find mine... but while i was on vacation, i ended up looking for fun and saw the perfect ISF. Ended up buying it while on vacation and had it shipped home.. Patience is the game my man
Old 10-21-15, 09:59 AM
XutvJet
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So that last night, the price on the ISF in Oklahoma City went from $48,870 to $49,700. LOL. Clearly they're getting ready to put the stock intake back on and are covering their costs to do that. I sent them an email this morning saying I'd take the car for $47,000 with the stock intake installed or 46,400 as is. They replied that they're not interested. No biggie. I bet they'll be calling in another week or two when they realize the market for these things does not reflect the KBB/NADA values and that these cars sit on the lots for months. They're way out of touch, especially considering their location.
Old 10-21-15, 12:53 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So that last night, the price on the ISF in Oklahoma City went from $48,870 to $49,700. LOL. Clearly they're getting ready to put the stock intake back on and are covering their costs to do that. I sent them an email this morning saying I'd take the car for $47,000 with the stock intake installed or 46,400 as is. They replied that they're not interested. No biggie. I bet they'll be calling in another week or two when they realize the market for these things does not reflect the KBB/NADA values and that these cars sit on the lots for months. They're way out of touch, especially considering their location.
Jump in your car or grab a flight and show up with a check for 48K... you'll be leaving with the car..
Sometimes you have to say **** it to all the emails and calls...

I did this on my Volvo XC-90 V8 that sat on the lot for 11 months and they would budge on the price.. showed up with 4500 K less than they were asking.. they sold it to me that day.. The sales guys said the manger was tired of looking at it everyday when he came to work and just wanted to get rid of it....
Old 10-21-15, 01:46 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Send them another email tomorrow offering $46,000 with stock intake or $45,400 as is...you can play that game too
Old 10-21-15, 01:48 PM
PololoISF
Driver School Candidate

Some of these cars sit in the lots, correct...(especially silver and black) but when you find a clean USB, White or even a rare Red, those, from my own experience at searching for close to 2.5 years, they are gone in a heartbeat.

I kept looking for that elusive USB with Alpine interior and when I find one, I will call within 1 week and I will be told... "sold already"...

You need to make a decision... yes, you can wait... like I did, but when I found mine, I had no much room for negotiation... I knew what I wanted and the seller knew what he was selling... (supply and demand)

Did I pay a bit more than what was listed on KBB? yes I did... but it's the ONE I wanted... I could have gotten a silver, black, even red for $5K less than what I paid for mine... with the same mileage and year, but I would have regretted big time.

If you really want it, go for it... Fly there and get it at that price... Let's face it, there are not too many for sale... and the ones that look too good.. they are either salvage, theft recovery or salvage title.

My 2 cents,
P

Quick Reply: Am I being unrealistic with my expectations when buying a used ISF?