IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Am I being unrealistic with my expectations when buying a used ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-15, 02:04 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PololoISF
Some of these cars sit in the lots, correct...(especially silver and black) but when you find a clean USB, White or even a rare Red, those, from my own experience at searching for close to 2.5 years, they are gone in a heartbeat.

I kept looking for that elusive USB with Alpine interior and when I find one, I will call within 1 week and I will be told... "sold already"...

You need to make a decision... yes, you can wait... like I did, but when I found mine, I had no much room for negotiation... I knew what I wanted and the seller knew what he was selling... (supply and demand)

Did I pay a bit more than what was listed on KBB? yes I did... but it's the ONE I wanted... I could have gotten a silver, black, even red for $5K less than what I paid for mine... with the same mileage and year, but I would have regretted big time.

If you really want it, go for it... Fly there and get it at that price... Let's face it, there are not too many for sale... and the ones that look too good.. they are either salvage, theft recovery or salvage title.

My 2 cents,
P
dude you said it best.. i wanted a USB 2010+... and for the one i found im surprised no one grabbed it up before me... i purchased it 5 days after finding it..
I had the pay to play.. this time i won!!!!
Old 10-21-15, 05:41 PM
XutvJet
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
Send them another email tomorrow offering $46,000 with stock intake or $45,400 as is...you can play that game too

I sent them a polite email this morning offering $47,000 with the stock intake installed or $46,400 as is. I felt that was more than reasonable based on my review of KBB, NADA, and Edmunds True Value prices for the region. Their reply was more or less, "get bent." I'm a patient dude willing to write a check for anything $50K or less that meets my requirements. We'll see how long that car sits. I may show up there in the next few weeks (assuming the stock intake is installed) and tell them $47K. Take it or leave it.
Old 10-21-15, 07:40 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by XutvJet
I sent them a polite email this morning offering $47,000 with the stock intake installed or $46,400 as is. I felt that was more than reasonable based on my review of KBB, NADA, and Edmunds True Value prices for the region. Their reply was more or less, "get bent." I'm a patient dude willing to write a check for anything $50K or less that meets my requirements. We'll see how long that car sits. I may show up there in the next few weeks (assuming the stock intake is installed) and tell them $47K. Take it or leave it.
Have you told them you're paying cash? Dealers are more apt to sell if they know that up front. I never play all my hands at once, but that is a huge bargaining tool.
Old 10-22-15, 09:14 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaxF
Have you told them you're paying cash? Dealers are more apt to sell if they know that up front. I never play all my hands at once, but that is a huge bargaining tool.
^^^ I agree. I'd give them until next Monday (I know it's hard to sit idle but it's worth it) and then drop them a not-so-subtle email
Old 10-22-15, 09:27 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
^^^ I agree. I'd give them until next Monday (I know it's hard to sit idle but it's worth it) and then drop them a not-so-subtle email
I'm noticing with my last 2 Lexus purchases, at Lexus dealership is that paying ash doesn't matter. Either way they get paid for the car up front. In fact, they probably make more money off you if they financed you thru Lexus Financial or a "preferred" bank.
Old 10-22-15, 09:47 AM
XutvJet
Driver

Originally Posted by msgs350
I'm noticing with my last 2 Lexus purchases, at Lexus dealership is that paying ash doesn't matter. Either way they get paid for the car up front. In fact, they probably make more money off you if they financed you thru Lexus Financial or a "preferred" bank.

I agree. There's less money to be made if I'm paying in cash and not financing through them. I'll watch that car for the next few weeks. A white 2012 ($44K, 25K miles) just came online at Grubbs Infiniti in Dallas. I'm waiting for pics and the Carfax to post. I can fly to Dallas for $150.
Old 10-22-15, 08:51 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree. There's less money to be made if I'm paying in cash and not financing through them. I'll watch that car for the next few weeks. A white 2012 ($44K, 25K miles) just came online at Grubbs Infiniti in Dallas. I'm waiting for pics and the Carfax to post. I can fly to Dallas for $150.
I wouldn't even continue to deal with the other dealer. Walk away laughing (so to speak) and you will certainly be glad you did.
Old 10-23-15, 08:12 AM
Ftime
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just FYI: I found mine at Carmax, 2012 black (Hate washing it every ten minutes) It had like 1800 or so miles on it clean carfax and dealer records. Bone stock w no ML system, but had park assist. OEM tires still looked new, I'm about due for new ones now with about 31K on them. She never even got the first 2 free oil changes, so the dealer let me have them. That was in 2013. I researched the previous owner, an older lady that owned a construction business. I guess she hated it because it beat the S*** out of her or went belly up because of the business? I think I paid 56Kish w 1.8 APR from Carmax for 4 years. They had to fix some road rash and a scuff under the front spoiler. It's been flawless for the most part, except for that irritating popping from the front wheels when I'm backing with the wheels turned to the max when it gets below like 25 degrees. Scares the s*** out of me every time! Probably not the greatest deal, but I wanted something with low miles/ no mods/ nonsmoking blah blah blah and no new ones to be had at the time in the area. Good luck, you will love it when you find one. I keep going back and forth now deciding on headers, Sikky isn't that far from me in Baltimore.
Old 10-23-15, 09:54 AM
redcrxsi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealers make money on finance charges, unless of course you bring your own financing. Even then they have relationships with banks and local credit unions often matching the rate you bring in while making another 1/2 point on the back-end. All adds to the back end gross.

Some dealers might like cash but depending on the circumstances cash could actually be less appealing to them, even more so if the sales manager is getting a bigger bonus check from the bank depending if they reach certain lending tiers. You could offer to finance through them and then just pay it off at the bank in 30-90 days.
Old 10-23-15, 12:24 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by parasitius
I can't believe you're making a thing about the intake just negotiate the price down a few buck in lieu and get it done yourself. My Acura TL-S needed $1200 belt and water maintenance the 1st day I owned it, dealer wouldn't negotiate at all. My IS F I had to drop $400 on front brake pads immediately on the day of pick-up, it wasn't safe to drive 2000 miles home with 1mm imo.
I had to do $1K brake job AND a battery upon receiving my F. In the used car game, you pay for depreciation with whatever maintenance work needs to get done.

Originally Posted by redcrxsi
Some dealers might like cash but depending on the circumstances cash could actually be less appealing to them, even more so if the sales manager is getting a bigger bonus check from the bank depending if they reach certain lending tiers. You could offer to finance through them and then just pay it off at the bank in 30-90 days.
As to this, I find dealers prefer cash at fiscal year end. It lets them know you're serious and that they can add this car to their final numbers before year end.
Old 10-23-15, 03:00 PM
XutvJet
Driver

That newly listed 2012 ISF in Dallas has an Injen intake. I don't want someone else's modded car. I give up.
Old 10-23-15, 03:13 PM
PololoISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That newly listed 2012 ISF in Dallas has an Injen intake. I don't want someone else's modded car. I give up.
Seriously?

What if the car had an aftermarket air filter like Tom or K&N and it's in excellent condition instead f the crappy OEM. What if the brake fluid was ATE Blue Dot 4 instead of the "off the shelf OEM Dot 3 stuff"... What if the engine oil was Rotellla instead of Mobil 1...???? You get my point?

I know it's your money... but an intake in an otherwise stock car is NOTHING to worry about. In fact, I' like the car even more since I know it was owned by an enthusiast... If you are here, in this forum, you must be one.

Good luck though... I guess that "perfect car" is how you look at it...

P
Old 10-23-15, 04:33 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good luck finding any IS-F that isn't modified and wasn't modified at any point in time... they are primarily enthusiast owned cars which is a great thing when looking used.
Old 10-23-15, 05:06 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The answer to your question in the subject line is probably yes. Nobody buys these cars to go to and from church every Sunday. They are solid, I wouldn't worry about any minor bolt ons.
Old 10-23-15, 05:23 PM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

performance parts are so damn limited on the IS F it's not even funny due to the locked ECU in the US. you can't tune the car, which limits parts that can installed internally. intakes offer so little in terms of performance gain that it is almost completely moot. for example, nobody offers aftermarket valves, retainers, pistons, bearings, etc because those parts would require a tune. your main options for more power in an IS F is nitrous, exhaust, headers, intake. everything but nitrous is a simple bolt on.

the only difference is literally the filter. you can find a used oem airbox + plastic pipe for really cheap.

Quick Reply: Am I being unrealistic with my expectations when buying a used ISF?