So many rotors and brake options. This is overwhelming

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-15, 01:39 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So many rotors and brake options. This is overwhelming

Lexus says I need pads and rotors!

Looking for set up for front pads and rotors. Thinking about 2 piece setup. Looks like there are only 2 vendors for our cars RRracing and Figs. Not sure which pads (low dust and lowest noise) would go with either setup for 20k+ daily driving and about 2 track sessions a year. After reading around on the forum it looks like it is a good practice to swap for racing pads (which I need recommendation as well) for track day use. Also appears that RAYBESTOS are the exact match for OEM Brembo rotors. Not sure if I even need 2 piece since mostly a DD car. Please provide input. Really overwhelmed.

Last edited by AshyAnklez; 10-04-15 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-04-15, 01:46 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

I believe this is the correct way to measure rotor. It looks to be about 30mm. I think my rotor may still be within specs Pic#1

Or is this the correct way to measure? Pic#2

Pic#3

Last edited by AshyAnklez; 10-04-15 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-04-15, 01:51 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think either way is going to give you an accurate measurement. The rotor lip is going to be extended further than the rotor itself because the pad doesn't make as significant contact. A micrometer is the most accurate way to measure the rotors. Something like this:

SE 784EC Digital Caliper in both SAE & Metric https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MA08VQ..._LezewbMWK1ZC6
Old 10-04-15, 03:01 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

^^exactly what he said. Your tape measure method is way off. New rotors start at 30mm and the minimum thickness I can't remember but it's stamped on the rotor.

If you're using your car as a DD I wouldn't go with two piece. It's overkill and not very cost effective.
Old 10-04-15, 05:34 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

At what point does Brembo recommend a rotor change?
Old 10-04-15, 06:14 PM
j3ff
Advanced

28mm for fronts and 26mm for rears. Or if cracks develop. See thread below for more details. It's in our owners manual also.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ifetime-2.html
Old 10-04-15, 06:56 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Originally Posted by j3ff
28mm for fronts and 26mm for rears. Or if cracks develop. See thread below for more details. It's in our owners manual also.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ifetime-2.html
Nice. Thanks. I will get a micrometer just to be absolutely sure.
Old 10-04-15, 07:38 PM
j3ff
Advanced

No problem! Lots of guys run multiple track days and DD their car without issues on oem brakes. I'm on my second set of pads with original rotors. And from what ive read on here, if the "lexus" on the caliper isn't gold, then you're not driving hard enough... they turn gold after a certain temperature.
Old 10-07-15, 10:32 AM
otbevo
Driver School Candidate

Yeah make sure you're using a micrometer and not calipers... you'll run into the same issue with calipers as they'll measure the lip and not the center of the rotor material.
Old 10-07-15, 02:45 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by otbevo
Yeah make sure you're using a micrometer and not calipers... you'll run into the same issue with calipers as they'll measure the lip and not the center of the rotor material.
Came here to say this. Doesn't matter what you use, just matters WHERE you use it. You can stack some quarters in the center of the friction disc and then use a caliper - simply subtract the thickness of the quarters as measured by the same caliper.
Old 10-07-15, 02:59 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

On my way to freight harbor to pick one up
Old 10-07-15, 03:21 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Re: your original question

I had 2pc on my last DD. It was certainly cool and I do think you could tell the difference in unsprung. It was not cool when it came time to replace them. For this car I went with OEM Lexus rotors, even if the Chinese foundries have the same rotors I want my rotor made in Italy and with a well-painted rotor hat.

Pads will make the biggest difference. That will require lots of research based on your own preferences.
Old 10-07-15, 03:56 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm a little late to this but as others have said a micrometer is the correct way to measure the thickness. Note that the thinnest point on an old rotor used primarily on the street is often the surface closest to the hat.

As far as 2-piece rotors are concerned my honest opinion is that you should save your money unless you plan on tracking the car more than a handful of times per year.

You have a couple of options when it comes to pads- If you want the best of both worlds you can buy a set of dedicated street pads and a set of dedicated track pads or you can buy one set of hybrid pads that can do everything if you're willing to compromise.

For super low dusting street options we have the Carbotech 1521 compound and the Project Mu NS400.

For track specific pads the top choices we offer are Carbotech XP10, XP12, XP20 or XP24 Project Mu Club Racer and Endless ME20, N35S, or N05U, Ferodo DS3000 and Porterfield R4.

For hybrid pads we offer Endless MX72 and MXRS, Ferodo DS2500 and very soon we will be offering Project Mu HC+800.

I'm sure you have a lot of questions about the differences in compounds so feel free to send me a PM or give me a call at (888) 263-1842.

-Matt M.
Old 10-08-15, 09:21 AM
otbevo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
Came here to say this. Doesn't matter what you use, just matters WHERE you use it. You can stack some quarters in the center of the friction disc and then use a caliper - simply subtract the thickness of the quarters as measured by the same caliper.
Good work around for those who have calipers and don't want to purchase the micrometer!
Old 10-08-15, 09:40 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

I would not use quarters. Use something small diameter or your measurement will be a bit optimistic. Proper rotor measuring calipers have small contact points to avoid measuring the disc only at the high ridges.

Quick Reply: So many rotors and brake options. This is overwhelming