IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

test drove an IS F today

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-15, 12:01 AM
EyeSF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default test drove an IS F today

I currently use an S2000 as DD. Had it for almost 15 years now. Time to get something else.
Thought about an M3 or RS4 or C63 but not sure if I want a car with potential issues. First and foremost the DD has to be reliable. The weekend car can be temperamental. However, I still want a fun car for DD.

not too many listed on CL, Autotraders, or cars.com. Lots of IS350 but not too many ISF.
Went to see the one at a Toyota Dealer in Fremont (for those in Norcal). '12 silver. Has "supercharged" stickers on the fender below the "F". Red seats. Spoiler. Not sure if anyone here is familiar with it.

Exhaust has nice deep rumble - first thing I noticed when the engine turned on. Transmission is nice. Not like the Slushbox in my RX350. already familiar with paddle shifter so that's nice - although the shifter paddle are smaller than I'm used to. Good acceleration. comfy.

Will test drive the IS350 then decide. really leaning toward ISF but not sure if I want to spend the extra $10-15K.
Old 10-04-15, 01:37 AM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Wow. I almost choked. IS350 very funny. Good one.
Old 10-04-15, 02:05 AM
toky916
Pole Position

Just get a isf bro ☺️
Old 10-04-15, 06:21 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the cold weather coming up ur gonna want to have the ball bearings in the supercharger thermalized. Have the dealer show u they have done this, it's part of a TSB recall. I know these special edition supercharged IS-F cars can be tricky. Many of us owned one but like me a lot of guys just traded it in for a regular one.
Old 10-04-15, 07:54 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

^^ive never heard of this factory supercharger.. and sarcasm is hard to read through the Internet :/

I'd say you should just get the F. Myself and many others can tell you that we sold our is350's for the F. We don't want you to have to do the same! It's like night and day in terms of performance.
Old 10-04-15, 08:09 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrd916
With the cold weather coming up ur gonna want to have the ball bearings in the supercharger thermalized. Have the dealer show u they have done this, it's part of a TSB recall. I know these special edition supercharged IS-F cars can be tricky. Many of us owned one but like me a lot of guys just traded it in for a regular one.
There is not a factory supercharged option for the isf. I'm not quite sure where you got that from.

To the OP, the difference between the is350 and isf are night and day. You'll notice this on the test drive almost immediately.
Old 10-04-15, 09:15 AM
EyeSF
Rookie

Originally Posted by j3ff
^^ive never heard of this factory supercharger.. and sarcasm is hard to read through the Internet :/

I'd say you should just get the F. Myself and many others can tell you that we sold our is350's for the F. We don't want you to have to do the same! It's like night and day in terms of performance.
Was not sarcasm. Car did really had two stickers under the "F". Opened the hood but did not see any supercharger. Looks like Sticker mod and not actual mod.
there's a picture of the fender. you can see the sticker. I was concerned as I don't want a car with forced induction.
http://www.fremonttoyota.com/auto/us...38-ca/4400692/

leaning toward ISF (hence my screen name) but still have to drive the IS350. Want to have more info before making a big ticket item decision.

Last edited by EyeSF; 10-04-15 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-04-15, 09:29 AM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

6 cylinder IS cars are great DD's. My daughter has a really nice 2IS, my wife a 3IS, and they are genuinely great commuters. When I get in one of them I marvel at how quiet they are.

Then I get get in my F, disable the traction control, and go hang the rear end out for a while. Stand in the throttle, it reminds me of one of my old Chevrolet's with a hard running small block, only with the bada$$ brakes.

Love the IS cars, seriously love my F.
Old 10-04-15, 09:32 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

IS F and 350 is night and day...youll regret it if you dont get the F and settled for the 350. Your original.options such as c63,m3 are IS F competitor.
Old 10-04-15, 09:36 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The IS350 is a great car but the ISF is an amazing car. Track car, family car, and a luxury car. Can not be beaten
Old 10-04-15, 10:51 AM
Tapangb
Driver

Get the F. Just sold my IS 350 for the F and wish I had done it sooner.
Old 10-04-15, 10:58 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

There's nothing wrong with either choice. The 350 will certainly suck up a lot less gas, even if you choose to have some fun on highways or go canyon carving. The F's power is probably well worth the additional $10-15k, simply because you're unlikely to get that same reliable power in an IS350 with the additional money. Some don't need the 400HP for daily driving, while others prefer to have it for both fun and leisure. It's just up to the potential buyer.

Best of luck either way!
Old 10-04-15, 11:20 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chris07is
IS F and 350 is night and day...youll regret it if you dont get the F and settled for the 350. Your original.options such as c63,m3 are IS F competitor.
Lol I settled for an is350 over the isf. Sure I would have loved the extra performance, but I didn't think it made much sense in daily stop n go traffic. Other than mpg, price was a big factor in my decision. I settled on a very low mileage 2010 is350 in 2012. The only isf's that were in my price range were 2008s with double to triple the mileage. Newer car, less mileage, longer warranty coverage gave me more piece of mind. With that said, I love my 350. It has a more than enough scoot when I want it and with coilovers and sway bars, its a heck of a lot of fun.
Old 10-04-15, 01:08 PM
EyeSF
Rookie

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
There's nothing wrong with either choice. The 350 will certainly suck up a lot less gas, even if you choose to have some fun on highways or go canyon carving. The F's power is probably well worth the additional $10-15k, simply because you're unlikely to get that same reliable power in an IS350 with the additional money. Some don't need the 400HP for daily driving, while others prefer to have it for both fun and leisure. It's just up to the potential buyer.

Best of luck either way!
thanks. I already have a weekend car that's pretty fun.
gas is not a factor - my commute is 4 miles each way.
just want a DD that's not boring and reliable. If I get IS350, will not get power mods. Maybe a tint and wheels but that would be it.
Not sure if after a year or so the IS350 would be boring - something a test drive would not be adequate. I would be wishing for an ISF instead, like Chris and Tapangb mentioned. Pretty sure it would not be the other way around.

Last edited by EyeSF; 10-04-15 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-04-15, 01:53 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrd916
Hahahahahahahaha

Quick Reply: test drove an IS F today