ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS F (2008-2014) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014-200/)
-   -   Bridgestone RE-11 review vs. my previous tires tried (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/798770-bridgestone-re-11-review-vs-my-previous-tires-tried.html)

rexio83 09-29-15 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by SubOrbital (Post 9199401)
MY2012 is .5" wider front and rear.

Thank You, just double checked and this seems to be correct, any one out there with the MY2011-My2008 Rims successfully running 255s in the front?

bbong 09-29-15 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by SubOrbital (Post 9199401)
MY2012 is .5" wider front and rear.

Get cheap enkei wheels and slap on 265 or 275 square and never look back at scattered.

SubOrbital 09-30-15 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by rexio83 (Post 9199417)
Thank You, just double checked and this seems to be correct, any one out there with the MY2011-My2008 Rims successfully running 255s in the front?

8.5" is the minimum rim width for 255s...I'd be more concerned about sidewall squish/pinch on an 8" wheel like MY2008-2011.

I8ABMR 09-30-15 01:16 PM

what are you running in the back

empathy 09-30-15 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by I8ABMR (Post 9198923)
Thanks for the review buddy. I tried the 245/285 combo on my stocks too and it was a joke. Slop, slop, and more slop. Didnt even drive the car 3 miles. Made a u turn and told the shop to get that crap off the car and put on the oem sizes. I am eyeing a set of the RE11s if I stick with my stock wheels. I like the PSS but they suck for wear. I cant get a set to last more than 7-8k miles for the rear and that was down to the indicator. That means that 5k of good grip and then its done. When I called Tirerack they said " PSS is a street tire for the track....The RE11 is a track tire for the street". I believe them.

anyone else have experiences with running wider tires on pre-'12 MY? Read a lot about people running 245/275 on the stock 8/9" wheels.

SoulFreak 09-30-15 03:23 PM

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/790087-255-35-19-and-275-35-19-michelin-pss-tire-set-up.html

Sorry guys, can't get this link to work properly. Just copy and paste. This individual did 255/35 F and 275/35 R, with awesome results.

SubOrbital 09-30-15 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by SoulFreak (Post 9200396)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/790087-255-35-19-and-275-35-19-michelin-pss-tire-set-up.html

Sorry guys, can't get this link to work properly. Just copy and paste. This individual did 255/35 F and 275/35 R, with awesome results.

Clickable: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...re-set-up.html

I8ABMR 09-30-15 06:16 PM

When I called Tirerack they recommended these 255/35/ and 275/35 sizes over the standard 275/30/19. The front looks great with the 255 but the rear looks a bit bulky with the 275/35 but it looks better than the 275/30 imho

SoulFreak 09-30-15 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by SubOrbital (Post 9200511)

Lol, that's it! Clickable...I was trying to make the link work and it simply wasn't. I lost my patience. Perhaps, I should try from the pc next time. Thanks either way!

KJH 09-30-15 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by SubOrbital (Post 9198774)
Is it even fair for compare Max Performance tires to Extreme Performance tires?

I don't think so. It's apples to oranges. To me, it's a given that EHP tires "should" out perform Max Performance tires in terms of their more singular, focused mission. That said, there's a reason the Michelin PSS has a "cult-like" following as summarized here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP. If you go on the Tire Rack site, you can read about how they test tires, including the vehicles, conditions and protocols used. Tire Rack sells everything, so it has no dog in the fight, so to speak. Its testing is as objective and bias-free as possible, IMO.

Several major manufacturers have conducted tire competitions for their halo cars, Ferrari, GM for the C7 ZO6 and others. In each case, the tire competitions have been won by either the Michelin PSS or the Michelin PSC 2 if it has been offered as an OEM option by the affected manufacturer. The PSS is its strength in all areas, either winning outright in many areas or coming in a close second in others (against other MP tires). With a wear rating of 300, a guy can have his cake and eat it too.

If you are determined to turn your IS-F into mostly a track vehicle, maybe there are other choices that will enable the driver to get the last few hundredths of a second. All tires are a series of tradeoff decisions by the manufacturer. For my money, Michelin consistently does the best, and most complete, job of any major tire manufacturer and testing by Tire Rack and the OEMs themselves has proven this time and again.

Ken.

I8ABMR 10-01-15 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by KJH (Post 9200794)
I don't think so. It's apples to oranges. To me, it's a given that EHP tires "should" out perform Max Performance tires in terms of their more singular, focused mission. That said, there's a reason the Michelin PSS has a "cult-like" following as summarized here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP. If you go on the Tire Rack site, you can read about how they test tires, including the vehicles, conditions and protocols used. Tire Rack sells everything, so it has no dog in the fight, so to speak. Its testing is as objective and bias-free as possible, IMO.

Several major manufacturers have conducted tire competitions for their halo cars, Ferrari, GM for the C7 ZO6 and others. In each case, the tire competitions have been won by either the Michelin PSS or the Michelin PSC 2 if it has been offered as an OEM option by the affected manufacturer. The PSS is its strength in all areas, either winning outright in many areas or coming in a close second in others (against other MP tires). With a wear rating of 300, a guy can have his cake and eat it too.

If you are determined to turn your IS-F into mostly a track vehicle, maybe there are other choices that will enable the driver to get the last few hundredths of a second. All tires are a series of tradeoff decisions by the manufacturer. For my money, Michelin consistently does the best, and most complete, job of any major tire manufacturer and testing by Tire Rack and the OEMs themselves has proven this time and again.

Ken.

The 300 tread wear rating is a a joke. Mine wear out every 7-8 miles with mild track work. Actually the main reason I want to try another tire. Even without track work they go insanely fast . And to make matters worse they tend to fall off in performance after 70% of the tread is gone :sad:.

KJH 10-01-15 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by I8ABMR (Post 9201580)
The 300 tread wear rating is a a joke. Mine wear out every 7-8 miles with mild track work. Actually the main reason I want to try another tire. Even without track work they go insanely fast . And to make matters worse they tend to fall off in performance after 70% of the tread is gone :sad:.

Everyone's experiences can be different, which is why reviews by qualified disinterested third parties can be helpful when making tire decisions. Your mileage is more akin to an 80 wear rating, rather than 300. If this was typical, Michelin would be undergoing the same type of scandal that VW is presently going through. I have to believe that something else, other than the condition of your tires, is causing you to have such a short life span with your PSSs, but who knows?

This thread on Supraforums was helpful to a lot of Supra owners, a number of whom track their cars/participate in HPDE events: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ort&highlight= I am not trying to change your mind about the Michelin PSS, but I do think it is important to distinguish your experiences from the norm.

Ken.

I8ABMR 10-01-15 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by KJH (Post 9201705)
Everyone's experiences can be different, which is why reviews by qualified disinterested third parties can be helpful when making tire decisions. Your mileage is more akin to an 80 wear rating, rather than 300. If this was typical, Michelin would be undergoing the same type of scandal that VW is presently going through. I have to believe that something else, other than the condition of your tires, is causing you to have such a short life span with your PSSs, but who knows?

This thread on Supraforums was helpful to a lot of Supra owners, a number of whom track their cars/participate in HPDE events: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ort&highlight= I am not trying to change your mind about the Michelin PSS, but I do think it is important to distinguish your experiences from the norm.

Ken.

In all honesty I drive the car very hard all the time. I launch it as much as I can. I also tend to drive at very high speeds and in AZ (its over 100 degrees or more 5 month of the year). The heat mixed with the aggressive drivng style is a bad mix. I never drive in traffic. Its all open desert highways . I still think its wild for a car to consume rear tires like this. I thought the LS460 was bad because of the weight. The ISF is powerful and it has tiny little tires. I can imagine that wider tires will help. Kind of like using a tiny eraser vs a huge eraser on a piece of paper . Not sure. Frankly dont care. Im having too much fun !! Cool thing about owning a car like this is that it really doesnt need a lot of mods. Just enjoy and burn tires. I was tempted by the RE11 because its more focused. In AZ we just do not care about how well a tire handles in the rain.:p It rains........ never, and when it does you just slow down . I tink the RE11 is more dry grip focused and even if doesnt last longer I am just hoping its more consistent as it ages. The PSS fades far too early for me and my driving style and usage . I would still buy again but I want to try the RE11 . If I do the HRE wheels I will be able to run the PSS , SO4, ADO8R, and even the PSC2 !!:thumbup::thumbup: Just trying to get used to the idea of black wheels.

btw I always have my tires aligned after tire installation. I am also OCD about checking my tire pressures every . To give you an idea, Michlin relaced my rear uder warranty because the wear was so even. They will not if there is any uneven wear. Its simply aggressive driving with high heat and high speeds. Many people classify their driving style as aggressive, but they have no idea.

sw2oboi 10-02-15 02:26 AM

Re-11 are amazing but very scary in standing water. Try Hankook RS-3 next. Very popular at the tracks and people say its practically like r-comps.

Bigcloud 10-02-15 04:08 AM

245/35/19 & 275/30/19 RE-11's

Lasted 1.5 years dd and lots track time. Insides were worn to the cords and I'm as hardcore of a track junkie than anyone on this board. Michelin PSS sucks not worth it for the track. I love them on the street though. After driving on HOOSIER dot slicks, Continental slicks, and BFG dot slicks on my race cars I will never go back to an R-comp or let alone an extreme street tire.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...f8e1fda825.jpg