IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My newest mod - Front Strut Bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-15, 08:57 PM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My newest mod - Front Strut Bar

Just installed my Cusco Strut bar. Quick easy install and looks good! Got it nice and cheap, $250 shipped to my house!
Attached Images   
Old 09-09-15, 09:12 PM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

Sorry pics suck. Try that again...
Attached Thumbnails My newest mod - Front Strut Bar-20150909_193803_resized.jpg   My newest mod - Front Strut Bar-20150909_193811_resized-1-.jpg  
Old 09-09-15, 09:32 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Looks cool, does it provide an increase in front suspension rigidity??
Old 09-09-15, 09:34 PM
kukimonsta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks so naked without the plastic covers...
Old 09-10-15, 12:36 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Nice!! Hard to find those parts.. We have a Tom's front strut bar that you could've grabbed from us :P

-Josh (jlee@modinjapan.com
Old 09-10-15, 07:46 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did mine too. I am cutting the side covers this weekend. I will post pics once it is complete.

Yea toms is like 500 buckaroos. Little pricey for me but they look great.

I wanted to let you know that Cusco makes a quick release for these strut tower bars. Instead of always losing up tower screw you can buy the quick release which would be much easier. I am thinking about doing so.
Old 09-10-15, 07:59 AM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My newest mod - Front Strut Bar

:eek:

Should have looked around a little more, I got mine for $180 shipped.
Old 09-10-15, 08:31 AM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Reaper21
:eek:

Should have looked around a little more, I got mine for $180 shipped.
Shipping to Canada cost a lot more, plus Canadian dollar is low..
Old 09-10-15, 12:07 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Where are you guys finding these?
Old 09-10-15, 12:59 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

It looks good! Correct me if I'm wrong, since the side plastic covers are off...that means you didn't have to cut into the plastic covers? If so, I really like this setup a lot! I couldn't really see where the strut attached to exactly. Either way, it looks good! Have you noticed any difference in the handling or is it just for looks?
Old 09-10-15, 04:51 PM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
It looks good! Correct me if I'm wrong, since the side plastic covers are off...that means you didn't have to cut into the plastic covers? If so, I really like this setup a lot! I couldn't really see where the strut attached to exactly. Either way, it looks good! Have you noticed any difference in the handling or is it just for looks?
Haven't really had a chance to drive the car hard yet. Yes, I pulled all of the plastic covers off as I thought they looked cheap and blocked al access to see the real engine bay. Just pop out all the plastic screws, 5 minute job to take them all off...
Old 09-10-15, 07:45 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

My ISF doesn't have struts, nor does any other other Lexus IS.

I had a STB, Strut Tower Brace, on my G35 and that made a hellofalot of difference. From my research, a Shock Tower Brace in any Lexus IS won't make much difference. See the thread below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...some-pics.html

However, if you're serious about wanting to stiffen up the front suspension look no further than the stiffer LCA bushings made and sold by RRRacing or Figs. Very noticeable improvement in all aspects of handling. I luv my RRRacing set.

Lou
Old 09-11-15, 09:20 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
My ISF doesn't have struts, nor does any other other Lexus IS.

I had a STB, Strut Tower Brace, on my G35 and that made a hellofalot of difference. From my research, a Shock Tower Brace in any Lexus IS won't make much difference. See the thread below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...some-pics.html

However, if you're serious about wanting to stiffen up the front suspension look no further than the stiffer LCA bushings made and sold by RRRacing or Figs. Very noticeable improvement in all aspects of handling. I luv my RRRacing set.

Lou
Keep in mind, if you do read the thread, the G35 DOES have the same double wishbone setup as the IS. Also a coil over shock setup in a double wishbone set-up will experience some lateral load but not us much as a macpherson geometry, so their would be a minimal difference. In the end it all comes down to the chassis design as a whole. If the chassis is already rigid enough you might as well call the strut tower brace a really pretty understeer bar.
Old 09-11-15, 10:31 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^No, the G35 Suspension Setup is described by Nissan as Multilink. A modified McMacPherson strut type suspension that uses Struts not Shock Absorbers. Infiniti specs call out:

SUSPENSION
F: . . . . . . . ind; 1 control arm, 1 lateral link, and 1 trailing link per side; coil springs; anti-roll bar
R: . . . . . . .ind; 1 control arm, 1 lateral link, 1 trailing link, and 1 toe-control link per side; coil springs; anti-roll bar

It is certainly not a Double Wishbone setup like the Lexus IS series.

Below is a quote from the March 2002 issue of Motor Trend.

The G35's 3.5L V-6 center of mass sits aft of the front axles (hence, front midship) and helps the 3369-lb five-passenger sedan achieve a purpose-built 52/48 (front/rear) weight distribution. Added to this founda-tion is an aluminum-intensive MacPherson-strut front suspension with one upper and two lower links combined with a rear multilink setup. But it doesn't end there. Atop all this sophisticated hardware rests an attractive shell whose aero package, including undercarriage diffusers/deflectors and careful attention to airflow over the laser-welded body, nets 0 front lift and a low 0.27 coefficient of drag (0 rear lift and an even lower 0.26 Cd are possible with the addition of an optional rear spoiler). The visage of the G35 should not be taken lightly either. With its stacked headlamps, elegant grille, and high beltline, it signifies Infiniti's intention to portray performance/luxury.
Lou
Old 09-11-15, 11:27 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok ok, so maybe my comment was to general. Although I see where you might be coming from, It is certainly not a Macpherson strut design, I don't care what some dude in a moto rag says.

Multilink is a little more detailed than I alluded to earlier. The 2003-2006 G35's used a multilink front that has a solid UCA and a 2 peice LCA. This two piece LCA is what makes it multilink, but from a suspension geometry it is standpoint and lateral load it is 1000% more like the IS suspension than a Macpherson strut. Basically the two lower links when connected to the hub act as a the lower wishbone (LCA). The 2007 G35 did end up using a solid lower wishbone/LCA which designated it as a "true" double wishbone suspension. Now.... a macpherson strut design DOES NOT have the upper wishbone style control arm seen in both the G35 and IS because the strut takes on the load vectors that the upper wishbone would take on in a double wishbone design. I have attached a PP presentation I threw together to make my point a little clearer. So in summary, regarding the subject of this thread, I am saying... regarding suspension load vectors the G35 and IS are similar in basic front suspension design versus a Macpherson setup.

This is a good link that explains things, as it points out with a macpherson strut design the upper a-arm/wishbone is removed. The G35 has a upper wishbone arm.
http://www.jltechno.com/en/wikibase/...structure.html

Last edited by Piston1047; 09-11-15 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added link

Quick Reply: My newest mod - Front Strut Bar