ISF and RCF take to the Track!

Old 09-05-15, 05:46 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts
Default ISF and RCF take to the Track!

Copied over from RCF forum.

Originally Posted by RCF500
Went to the track with Gearbangin (2008 IS F) and had a great time, if you guys haven't been to the track yet, head out to one! You will not experience anything like it! Cost about $150 from 4-8 PM. Three 20 minute sessions and 2 pace laps for a total of 1 hour 40 mins of track time!

Now for the experience, I put myself in the novice group because it was my first time at the track.
The first session was a little slow, due to the other drivers getting a feel for the track, so the speed never exceed 80 MPH. There are passing zones, but only when the car in front of you gives you a hand signal so you can pass, otherwise you are stuck behind them. For this first session, my engine temp went one click up from normal, mainly 3rd-4th gear, and no oil in the RRRacing air/oil separator.

Now for the second session, it was way more intense than the first, since I was the first one in the grid. The track felt really open and I was pushing the car pretty hard and taking turns really hard, along with Gearbangin behind me. Then on the straight away I hit about around 120 MPH, at this point, for some reason I did not feel confident at all, and I braked way too late to turn and ended up in the grass just a tiny bit.
I got back on the track and stayed behind Gearbangin, until I saw the black flag pointed at me, so I slowed down. I did not know that it meant to go back to the pit so they can check out your car, so I kept going around the track at a slower pace...lol. In this second session, my engine temp was half way between normal and hot. I would say I spent about 60% in 2nd gear, 30% in third, and 10% in forth gear and the oil in the RRRacing A/O separator was full. We did 6 laps in this session.

Finally for the third session, there were not the many cars left in this session due to the weather and SCCA didn't know if they would let us run the third session so the other drivers headed home. After 15 mins, the weather cleared up and we were back on after sunset! We probably ran for about 10-15 mins, it was almost the same as the second session except for I didn't end up in the grass...lol. I was about 9-10 position in the grid and I passed about 5-6 cars. In this final session, my engine temp was also half way between normal and hot. Spent about 55% in 2nd gear, 35% in third and, 10% in forth gear and the oil in the RRRacing A/O separator was full again.

All in all, I had fun for my first time at the track, it was very intense and felt like I worked out my upper body at the end of the day. Next time I will probably try and put myself intermediate, and adjust my coilovers to hard setting instead of leaving it in the middle. Gas usage wise, I came into the track with 3/4 of gas and went out with 1/8 left in my tank. As for the RRRacing A/O separator, it did it's job and kept the oil from the crankcase out of the intake manifold!

As for the videos, my Gopro flew off on the straight away and went into pieces. I mounted the Gopro on the roof of the car, I should've mounted on the windshield, or stuck adhesive down on it, expensive lesson learned.

Videos from Gearbangin will be up soon as he uploads it.

Feel free to ask any questions! Here are some pictures below... enjoy!

1st session
Lexus ISF RCF SCCA Track Nights Pitt Race 1st Run - YouTube

2nd session
Lexus ISF and RCF Pittrace SCCA Track Night - YouTube
Old 09-05-15, 07:05 PM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ISF and RCF take to the Track!

Damn your car sounds good!
Old 09-05-15, 08:05 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice to see people tracking the F
Old 09-05-15, 09:00 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Unfortunate incident with the GoPro, but everything else looked to be a positive experience for you and your friend. It's always a great eye opener to see track usage and understanding the car more in what should be its native environment.
Old 09-06-15, 04:23 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

That first lap when a women in a vette did a 180 in front of us was a brake check moment.

Old 09-06-15, 04:43 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Old 09-06-15, 04:44 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Old 09-06-15, 04:45 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Old 09-06-15, 09:07 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love these videos! You guys are my hero! LOL
Old 09-06-15, 10:15 AM
OGGIE50
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like ALOT of FUN!! With time you'll have the confidence with braking deep/late before the turn and figure out which gear to in when braking. All in DUE time!! And this is BEST place to do it!
Old 09-06-15, 11:35 AM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks guys! We'll probably be back at it soon!

It is a lot more wear and tear than taking it to the strip, but the passion and the enjoyment is well worth it! I need to get a new Gopro now...lol. I was going to wait for the 5 to come out but it doesn't look like it will come out until early 2016!
Old 09-06-15, 04:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Get instruction next time. You will go a lot faster with a lot more control. It's really hard to beat having someone skilled at driving the track you are on telling you how to improve. Both of you guys could benefit a lot. I know I did when I first started, and I had some years experience road racing motorcycles under my belt at the time.
Old 09-06-15, 04:40 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did participate in several SCCA sanctioned auto crosses that was invaluable learning experience. Throwing my 1988 RX7 around the track and learning its strength & weakness was half the fun but also being able to ride with others much more experienced than I was a blast. Once I hooked up with an instructor who had a Honda civic hatchback and that car handled the cones as if it was on ice skates. Not once did it sway or skip a beat. Got a stomach workout too! Lol.

Anyway, thanks for posting the vids. Very, very cool. Something on my bucket list for sure.
Old 09-06-15, 05:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

very cool. Glad you guys had fun. Make sure you use the paddles and use the entire track. Car sounds great. Track layout looks cool. I dig the hills and the elevation changes
Old 09-06-15, 05:37 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Right need to learn the lines etc but even raw chased down lots of cars. Lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ISF and RCF take to the Track!