IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tire/Radial Pull

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-15, 06:06 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Tire/Radial Pull

Thought I would share my story in the event this happens to someone else.

I Recently installed h&r 15 mm spacers and continental dw's in 245/275 combo.

After leaving the tire place I noticed a slightly uneasy feeling at highway speed. Almost as if the car was being hit with the strong crosswind. Under light acceleration the car would pull right, on decell it would wander left, it would drive perfectly straight when coasting. Overall it felt less stable than before the tires and spacers.

So:

1 - I got an alignment and it got a little better but the issue persisted.

2 - I thought the alignment specs I had suggested (0 toe up front) to reduce tire wear might be the reason it was not perfect so...

3 - I got a second alignment and removed the wheel spacers. Problem again seemed better ,but not fixed

4 - I thought the squish front LCA bushing might be to blame so I got the Figs bushing and another (my 3rd) alignment. The problem remains.

5 - Finally, today I unbolted and swapped the rear wheels and now the pulling has swapped sides. It pulls left on acceleration and right on deceleration. This sounds like it is tire related, specifically something called tire pull.

Has anyone had this experience before? I purchased the tires at tire rack, I plan on giving them a call tomorrow. Not sure how to determine which rear tire is wonky..
Old 08-21-15, 09:52 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I would have to go with issues in tires. I used to have Continent ExtremeContact DW and the tires were utter garbage. They worked fine initially, but the car started to pull in one direction, developed uneven wear on the tire and also cupping issue (resulting in vibrations at 75 - 80 mph) and they were very loud and made howling noises on the freeway.

The tires were toast after just 15,000 KM (even though, the 'DW' engraved lettering that are supposed to be the wear indicator on the tread were still visible, but the tires were completely worn out in the middle and inner side).

I have had Michelin Pilot Super Sport for 2 seasons now and no issues whatsoever. No pulling, no noise and no uneven wear.
Old 08-21-15, 10:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had the PSS and all was well. Got a new set and had pulling to the right. Got an alignment , still pulls. Had them align the car with me in the car , still pulled. Went out with the tech and showed him. He came back to the shop and told me to turn the wheel all the way to the right as he adjusted something then had me turn the wheel all the way to the left and adjusted something. The car immediately felt much better but still pulls slightly to the right. What I noticed was my steering wheel was turned to the right. I felt that with the natural slop of most roads to the right was causing it. They told me they adjusted the wheel position and that helped. I just ended it adjusted just a hair more. When I let go of the wheel I can see my right paddle slightly lower than the left paddle. Its annoying.
Old 08-22-15, 05:33 AM
Vervish
Racer

The odd issue with mine is when it pulls, the steering wheel does not move. It just kinda drifts as soon as I accelerate.
Old 08-22-15, 07:31 AM
Vervish
Racer

Here is a crappy video I took yesterday.

Notice how it is coasting straight until I accelerate lightly. I have to adjust the steering wheel to keep it straight.

Old 08-22-15, 12:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I see. This stuff is annoying , especially when they keep telling you all is well. Im going to try another dealership. Its a drive, but I want people who know what they are doing.

Just had an idle and AC issue that these people insisted was normal and told me there was nothing they could do and they fixed the issue. I dont know whats worse , a mechanic who cant fix the car , or one who did and doesnt know it
Old 08-22-15, 01:17 PM
Vervish
Racer

Tire rack has been great and is sending me a replacement tire..I still need to figure out which rear tire is defective tho. That will require me swapping one of the rear wheels to the front.

I assume the rear wheels clear the front brakes right?
Old 08-23-15, 06:44 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tire/Radial Pull

Originally Posted by Vervish
Thought I would share my story in the event this happens to someone else.

I Recently installed h&r 15 mm spacers and continental dw's in 245/275 combo.

After leaving the tire place I noticed a slightly uneasy feeling at highway speed. Almost as if the car was being hit with the strong crosswind. Under light acceleration the car would pull right, on decell it would wander left, it would drive perfectly straight when coasting. Overall it felt less stable than before the tires and spacers.

So:

1 - I got an alignment and it got a little better but the issue persisted.

2 - I thought the alignment specs I had suggested (0 toe up front) to reduce tire wear might be the reason it was not perfect so...

3 - I got a second alignment and removed the wheel spacers. Problem again seemed better ,but not fixed

4 - I thought the squish front LCA bushing might be to blame so I got the Figs bushing and another (my 3rd) alignment. The problem remains.

5 - Finally, today I unbolted and swapped the rear wheels and now the pulling has swapped sides. It pulls left on acceleration and right on deceleration. This sounds like it is tire related, specifically something called tire pull.

Has anyone had this experience before? I purchased the tires at tire rack, I plan on giving them a call tomorrow. Not sure how to determine which rear tire is wonky..
I had this same issue and it was a combination of a front tire that had come loose from its belts (something you can't see) and over torqued lugs (found that out after new tires). I wouldn't think that the rear tires would cause pulling but I guess it's just as likely. Swap your fronts also and check all the torque on the lugs. If you're running stock or aftermarket wheels with the correct hub bore, get the lugs to torque (76ftlbs) back them all off and back on one at a time. If your using a hub ring make sure it's seated correctly in the wheel and on the hub on all four corners.
Old 08-23-15, 09:49 AM
Vervish
Racer

Thanks man - stock wheels and they are properly torqued.

I need to do the rear to front swap to determine which rear tire is messed up. Since it is now pulling to the left under acceleration, I plan on moving the driver's rear to the passenger front. If the pull moves to the right, I know it is the driver's side rear. If there is no change (continues to pull left) then it must be the passenger rear tire.
Old 08-23-15, 01:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
Thanks man - stock wheels and they are properly torqued.

I need to do the rear to front swap to determine which rear tire is messed up. Since it is now pulling to the left under acceleration, I plan on moving the driver's rear to the passenger front. If the pull moves to the right, I know it is the driver's side rear. If there is no change (continues to pull left) then it must be the passenger rear tire.
Run a measuring tape around both tires with proper inflation and see if one is a larger diameter than the other. What you describe sounds like something we tune for in circle track racing - a little stagger side to side does wonders for making a car turn under power.
Old 08-27-15, 05:59 PM
Vervish
Racer

Didn't get a chance to measure the tires before I had the passenger rear replaced. But the problem is gone! Tracks perfectly straight under acceleration/deceleration.

Bad news is they snapped one of my H&R extended gstuds.. I will replace it this weekend and reinstall the spacers.
Old 10-05-15, 07:38 AM
Raf99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only signed up to this form to submit this post. I just put Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on my Acura TSX and had radial pull with one tire after 2000 miles. Acura proved it was the tire and so it was replaced free of charge. Got the new tire and .............. i have the same problem but with less pull. The old tire was 11lbs of pull and this tire is 6lbs of pull. All other tires on the car have 0lbs of pull. I wrote the company but doubt I'll see much in a reply since everyone and their grandma has this issue with these tires (try googling - "radial pull" Continental ExtremeContact DWS).

Conclusion = Don't buy these tires.
Old 10-05-15, 08:22 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd come to the conclusion that one shouldn't buy a TSX. Zing! Thanks for the info
Old 10-05-15, 10:21 AM
Raf99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaxF
I'd come to the conclusion that one shouldn't buy a TSX. Zing! Thanks for the info

But I do hope this post helps others. Was the most recent post I could find of someone having issues with these tires. All other posts were from 2010-2011.
Old 10-05-15, 10:57 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Mine has been pulling since I got this new set of PSS. I waited 5k to get the alignment done. Considering they only last me 7-8 k miles I think it was too late. Its annoying as hell. Gonna get new tires soon and this time I'm not backing off until they get the car to track straight

Quick Reply: Tire/Radial Pull