IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

08 IS-F owners with sticky dash door panels chime in!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-15, 09:28 PM
otbevo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the most frustrating part is that they know it to be an issue on the standard IS250/350 and they share the same part numbers for door and dash panels as the IS-F, yet they refuse to lump them together. My guess is they are playing the numbers game here (2500ish 2008 IS-Fs) and they haven't all had issues, so they don't want to just say they'll replace the panels.

I'm absolutely blown away by the cost of these panels though... the dash is only $300ish, but my local Lexus dealership is quoting almost $1400 per front door panel and almost $1000 for each rear door panel and $450 in labor to install the door panels. In all honesty, if Lexus is willing to eat 50% of a $6000 bill, they should just let me get the damn dash and door panels re-upholstered in alcantara or leather for a fraction of the cost and cover it all. Talk about fleecing the customer with those prices...
Old 08-21-15, 09:38 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by otbevo
I guess the most frustrating part is that they know it to be an issue on the standard IS250/350 and they share the same part numbers for door and dash panels as the IS-F, yet they refuse to lump them together. My guess is they are playing the numbers game here (2500ish 2008 IS-Fs) and they haven't all had issues, so they don't want to just say they'll replace the panels.

I'm absolutely blown away by the cost of these panels though... the dash is only $300ish, but my local Lexus dealership is quoting almost $1400 per front door panel and almost $1000 for each rear door panel and $450 in labor to install the door panels. In all honesty, if Lexus is willing to eat 50% of a $6000 bill, they should just let me get the damn dash and door panels re-upholstered in alcantara or leather for a fraction of the cost and cover it all. Talk about fleecing the customer with those prices...

Contact member ct200 he said in a post yesterday he got a free dash and some other things that are part of the warranty enhancement program
Old 08-21-15, 09:59 PM
ct200
Driver

Originally Posted by Miqueaseli
Contact member ct200 he said in a post yesterday he got a free dash and some other things that are part of the warranty enhancement program
my case is a weird one because I didn't notice anything wrong with my dash or panels. I only went to the dealer for the other 2 recent recalls we had and out of the blue they call me talking about my dash board, so i told them my car was in for the 2 recalls not for a dash board and she proceed and tell me about the enhancement program and that they already order the new dash like a week before I brought my car in for the recalls to get done (basically they order the dash when I call to make the appointment for the recalls) so I ended up with a brand new dash not sure exactly why?

call them to ask tell them that know my steering wheel look a different shade of black compare to the dash to see if they could also fix that and got told if i wanted to put my old dash back!!
Old 08-21-15, 10:11 PM
otbevo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ct200
my case is a weird one because I didn't notice anything wrong with my dash or panels. I only went to the dealer for the other 2 recent recalls we had and out of the blue they call me talking about my dash board, so i told them my car was in for the 2 recalls not for a dash board and she proceed and tell me about the enhancement program and that they already order the new dash like a week before I brought my car in for the recalls to get done (basically they order the dash when I call to make the appointment for the recalls) so I ended up with a brand new dash not sure exactly why?

call them to ask tell them that know my steering wheel look a different shade of black compare to the dash to see if they could also fix that and got told if i wanted to put my old dash back!!
That's exactly the kind of service that should be taking place. Would you mind PMing me the particulars (dealership, your VIN, how long you've owned the car for, etc.)? Any ammo I can have in my pocket at this point will be useful. Glad to hear that someone was properly taken care of.
Old 09-27-15, 08:52 PM
Patrick988
Driver School Candidate

Default Dashboard & the four of doors panels sticky and melting

Now my dashboard & the four of doors panels sticky and melting, which causes a blinding glare when driving making it hard to see when driving.

Can I know how can I claim it at Malaysia. Because I bought a recon-car on 2011, IS250 year of 2006 (UK-spec). I am a second owner; can I gets to claim a new dashboard & door panels?
Old 09-27-15, 10:48 PM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my door panels get sticky on a hot day,but my dash stays dry....im sure my dash has never been recalled.
i live in philippines,im not sure if lexus can warranty this problem because its not in the recall list
Old 09-27-15, 11:28 PM
Patrick988
Driver School Candidate

Default How to chime back the dashboard & door panel

Dear sir,

But, now the is in Malaysia, how do I chime it with? Lexus Malaysia or Lexus (UK).

Because the 1st owner is in UK; I am second owner in Malaysia.

Is it using the car's chassis number to chime back the dash & panels?

Can u tell me step by step to chime it?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Patrick
Old 09-28-15, 12:57 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

I have to admit, my 08 door panels do get a little "tacky" on hot days, but my dashboard is fine. Not to a point where it bothers me, but I have noticed it.
Old 09-29-15, 08:25 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Look up IS300 melted dash. There are a ton of tutorials about fixing the dash. I have the same issue in the 300 just haven't gotten around to doing it. Its a hassel but worth it. You would do the same things for your door panels.

What I did in my VW was take a kitchen sponge that has the green pot cleaner on the backside. I ran water under the door handles (obviously off the car) and scrubbed the shizzzzz out of them. Took it right off after some elbow grease and didn't hurt the plastic. You have the option then there to paint.

http://my.is/forums/f221/diy-dashboa...h-look-374628/

- Here is the scotch bright pad idea that I used on my VW
Old 09-29-15, 09:33 AM
otbevo
Driver School Candidate

If anyone is brave enough to scotch brite pad their door panels, I'd love to see what that looks like afterwards. I have a feeling it would be less desirable than the sticky panel...
Old 04-24-16, 08:36 PM
neweyslex
Driver

Originally Posted by otbevo
My vehicle was a Florida car originally, and that's where the vast majority of these issues seem to manifest themselves. The vehicle's service records are immaculate (7 pages worth all at Lexus of Clearwater) so it's a little surprising that this issue wasn't noticed or remedied previously. I already have the paperwork for the class action lawsuit waiting and it will depend on how Lexus takes care of me as to whether or not I sign it.
Any update?
Old 04-25-16, 04:10 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pharnhyte
Well, how often does Washington get 90-100+ degree days with high humidity?
Nearly everywhere in the world the car will get to those temperature with the windows up.

You guys are talking about phase change. From solid to liquid (or that sticky goo in between).

When you're saying high humidity adds to the problem you're saying a higher total heat content. Enthalpy. So it doesn't really matter the amount of moisture. What you're looking at is the phase change points and how much heat is required to start the phase change at a given pressure (atmospheric in this case).

http://www.rses.org/assets/serviceap...ual/630-16.pdf
Old 03-15-17, 09:18 PM
BuLLdAwG
Rookie

Revival of an old thread.

Lexus covered 100% of the doors. I picked up my car today after they replaced them and did air bag recall.

long story short...
Complained to lexus corporate andtgey said have inspected at dealership.

I took to my normal SA at Lexus of Henderson. He ran it back to a tech and got his Service Director involved. They asked me about cleaning, armor all, etc. They confirmed the doors had the issue and took some pics. I hadn't had the car in the sun so it wasn't horrible. They held off a couple days until sun came out.

I took pics after 30min in 65ish deg day and uploaded to Google folder.

All was submitted to Lexus.

Corporate called asked me same cleaning questions. My argument was (besides doors really had issue), I wasn't asking for dash done, the part numbers were almost identical, i guessed that the they were produced by same manufacturer as 250/350 and that I didn't request a rental car over last 6 months waiting for airbag.

I know airbag is a separate issue, but wanted to show I wasn't trying to take advantage .

Anyway, a big thumbs up to this board and Lexus corporate.
Old 03-16-17, 08:18 PM
neweyslex
Driver

Thumbs down

Here is what I got from Lexus customer satisfaction. He also stop answering my e-mails.

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. Your inquiry is important to Lexus and we value the opportunity to address your concern.

We apologize you are displeased with the resolution of your reviewed case.

We regret to hear of your dissatisfaction in this matter and have thoroughly reviewed your situation. We note that your Lexus Case Manager reviewed all information pertinent to your case and Lexus respectfully declined your request for financial assistance with the cost of replacing the door panels.. The decision rendered by your Case Manager represents Lexus’s position.
Our review of your case indicates that all of Lexus’s guidelines have been followed and we concur with the decision. Your case is now closed.
In regards to your Takata airbag recall inquiry, your 2008 IS is in Zone B. Please be advised that per the NHTSA, the airbag propellant for Zone B vehicles may not degrade until 10-15 years after the date of first use. The date of first use of your vehicle was: 08/21/2008
Please know, your vehicle is still drivable, but we recommend not having a front seat passenger while operating the vehicle.
Old 01-09-18, 03:13 AM
Greatest
Driver

Any more updates on this problem. My rear door panels have cracks in the exact same spot. No one is ever even back there.
A year or so ago they did replace my drivers side panel which was cracked severely.

Quick Reply: 08 IS-F owners with sticky dash door panels chime in!!