ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS F (2008-2014) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014-200/)
-   -   Clunking, Rubbing on right turns and pot holes (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/794087-clunking-rubbing-on-right-turns-and-pot-holes.html)

Bakewalk 08-11-15 03:59 PM

Clunking, Rubbing on right turns and pot holes

2011 ISF with clunking and rubbing noises coming from the passenger front side, especially when making right turns or hitting a pot hole. It really does sound like something is loose and bouncing around when hitting a pot hole, and its the same noise when taking a right turn at any speed. It doesn't make any sense!!! Could be engine bay or could be in the tire well, unsure. We took the tire off today and found nothing wrong and no rubbing points around. We checked the control arm, strut, sway bar, backing plate, wheel bearing for looseness. Cant find anything wrong at all...

Anyone have any other suggestions or have had this noise before.

scsisf 08-11-15 04:01 PM

Have you done any suspension work lately? It might be a bad bushing somewhere or a bolt not torqued properly.

lexicon72 08-11-15 04:07 PM

In the past on my old IS300, noise would either be a loose lug nut or a bad sway bar endlink......

Bakewalk 08-11-15 04:15 PM

Thanks for the quick replies, i torqued the lugs to spec myself and checked the sway bar end link when i had it up on my jacks and the tire off... no suspension work done lately.

jat0223 08-11-15 04:56 PM

Have you checked whether any part of your exhaust/header is hitting something?

Bakewalk 08-11-15 05:22 PM

Yes, i havnt gone as far to take the whole thing apart again but i dont see anything rubbing, ppe are supposed to be the best for not rubbing.

Vervish 08-11-15 05:42 PM

Could it be a worn/blown strut?

SoulFreak 08-11-15 06:30 PM

I'm on my 2nd F and I get a clunking sound from the passenger rear...I learned to live with it. It's from the rear exhaust bolt hanger. Especially on a speed bump, I hear it very clearly.

ljdsong 08-13-15 12:13 AM

I got the same problem a week ago, after 3 to 5 miles drive clunking sound heard on the passenger side, for the second time around i hang up again my F and tighten the upper control arm. Its been two days now the clunking sound never came back. Hope this will help.

ljdsong 08-15-15 09:22 AM

Have your car fixed? Keep us update. Thanks...

Bakewalk 08-28-15 06:00 PM

Update!!!! I took it to Lexus and they couldn't figure out what the noise was and on my report, they wrote "the noise is considered normal road noise and found no issues"... I stopped by a Ford dealership on the way home where I know the Ford Master Tech. He took a total of 9 minutes to fix the car. It was a bracket from my ISS Forged Exhaust that started rubbing against my transmission. It only started after my header installation so it probably shifted to the rubbing position because it never did before. He was laughing so hard at how Lexus could call this normal road noise, he took a picture of the invoice... WOW...

Lexus of Calgary was the dealership, in case you guys with to avoid some weak service in Alberta...

teamcalvin 08-28-15 11:01 PM

Do you have coilovers? if so, try to tighten the bolts that hold the coilovers to the car.. My brother had a similar problem and that fixed it.

ct200 08-29-15 08:15 AM

I had the same kind of issue last couple of months on mine, like going over little speed bumps and imperfections on the road it will make a clunking sound like something is loose... took it to the dealership they said it was probably a bad strut but I know for a fact that is not because that was the first thing I change after I started hearing the noise... took it to to other mechanics outside of lexus they couldn't figure it out either!!

I know is not the exhaust on mine cause I was stock when it first started happening and installed a borla and still the same exact sound.

so hopefully I will check the upper control arm and readjust the screws... will keep you guys posted!