IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Talk me out of this guys...

Old 07-31-15, 07:23 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jum3
I am in a similar position, but my limiting factor is that it would have to be a DD.
I went through this a little while ago. Nice condition 993 turbo stick as a DD or IS-F...I picked IS-F. Porsche DD will be a mistake IMO.
Old 07-31-15, 10:12 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Take a look at 997.2 gts. It's one of the best 911s ever made.
You get wide (turbo) body, rear wheel drive and 408bhp.
You better get on this before wife changes her mind.
Old 07-31-15, 10:28 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's another option and the price is sort of reasonable. http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-9...-ca-1665776219
Old 07-31-15, 10:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by primecut
Completely agree, but that's more than 2x the price point so not sure if that's a realistic option for the OP. btw for the most part only the GT3s are going up in price, for the turbos you have to go a bit further back in time (like 993) to start seeing the appreciation.
i think it really comes down to the person. from what OP said, seems like they are in good financial shape and this is something extra, so it's about how much they want to spend and what their view on values / return is.

when i looked for nsx in the beginning, it was on early years / higher mileage. but saw the right one and the final price was doubled of my original budget. one of the reason is the rareness / future return

but it sounds like OP has a budget set there
Old 07-31-15, 12:14 PM
Whteknight
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was actually looking for a Porsche 997 S before picking up my ISF. I just couldn't find the right one around our area. But, the 911 S is still my dream car! I have a buddy who just picked up a GT3 and loves it! So if you can afford to pick up a porsche, go for it! Also, give me all your ISF parts LOL
Old 07-31-15, 12:18 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i say go for the Porsche im sure it would be a fun car!
Old 07-31-15, 02:42 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vbb
What did you think about the 981 Cayman S compared with the 997.2? The 981is supposed to be pretty fantastic from what I've heard and read.
Yea, the 981 Cayman S is sublime. It's balanced and precise, everything has a purpose and comes together perfectly. Very fun to drive. Actually a much more refined driving experience compared to the 997. I found the 997 to be very raw. I felt that the 981 had more precise handling, and the power also felt more responsive to me (Even tho the 997.2 I drove was a C4S PDK with bolt-ons). Build/features/interior wise, obviously the 981 is newer and a step ahead.

IMO if you take off the badges, the 981 is a better sports car overall. I know there is the whole 911 mystique, so I wouldn't fault anyone for still going for the 911 (The depreciation is also a factor on the 981 whereas the 997 has already taken the hit). The only thing is that both of those cars (Probably because I'm in SoCal, the Porsche capital of the world) are quite common, so the F feels more rare and special from an enthusiast standpoint.
Old 07-31-15, 04:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

i agree with primecut, in terms of the car as a whole, the 981 is a better driving car. more forgiving would be the phrase i use
Old 07-31-15, 05:42 PM
LukeRich
Driver School Candidate

Porsche everyday, the reason I have an ISF is because I don’t have a Porsche!
goodluck!
Old 07-31-15, 09:03 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

...or do what I've considered off and on...
have a really good shop (i.e. JE Import Performance) swap an all aluminum LS motor into a cheap/high mileage Cayman S.
Old 07-31-15, 09:47 PM
jdmblood
Driver School Candidate

What about a used gtr?
Old 07-31-15, 10:07 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

I was in a nearly identical situation. I've known my wife since high school as well, been married 11 years and always dreamed of owning a 911 one day.

She loved(can't stress this enough) the isf, and probably due to lack of exposure she really wasn't into Porsche'. Fast forward to her driving the p car a few times and she's in love. She literally said the other day "I can't believe how much I like this car. I didn't think I'd like it this much."

For me the only options were turbo or gt3. No way I could fulfill my dream with a Carrera. I went with a .1 turbo as it's just my personal preference. I rather the Metzger motor with 6mt.

I threw all my typical sensibility out the window and said "if I'm going to do this I'm doing it right" and held out for my exact color preference, miles/condition etc. Budget be damned I wanted what I wanted. I didn't want to settle at all. No regrets at all. I still stop and stare at it for a few min every time I go in/out of the garage. It still doesn't feel real. It's just such an unbelievable car and just feels special.

I say go for it. But I say if you can swing it, get a turbo. Depreciation on them has screeched to a halt and depending on mileage and specs I've seen some appreciation. Even 996's are coming back up. Neither to the extent of the gt3 but still enough to where you're not going to lose your ***.
Old 07-31-15, 10:23 PM
gearcase
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Primecut

What about that black AMG looks like a runner. Sorry about adding AMG black into the mix?!
Old 08-01-15, 11:14 AM
Richy21
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I say do it! Of coarse I'm bias since I want you to part it out!
Old 08-02-15, 04:05 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Gymkata
...or do what I've considered off and on...
have a really good shop (i.e. JE Import Performance) swap an all aluminum LS motor into a cheap/high mileage Cayman S.
Evil! But no, not looking for that purpose built of a race car.

Originally Posted by jdmblood
What about a used gtr?
Nope. I am a fan of the GTR for what it is and what it can do, but it is not a car that I'm personally interested in owning. It just doesn't quite do it for me even though I know it is peel your face off fast. It's always been one of those cars that I like when other people get them.

Originally Posted by Cronic
I was in a nearly identical situation. I've known my wife since high school as well, been married 11 years and always dreamed of owning a 911 one day.

She loved(can't stress this enough) the isf, and probably due to lack of exposure she really wasn't into Porsche'. Fast forward to her driving the p car a few times and she's in love. She literally said the other day "I can't believe how much I like this car. I didn't think I'd like it this much."

For me the only options were turbo or gt3. No way I could fulfill my dream with a Carrera. I went with a .1 turbo as it's just my personal preference. I rather the Metzger motor with 6mt.

I threw all my typical sensibility out the window and said "if I'm going to do this I'm doing it right" and held out for my exact color preference, miles/condition etc. Budget be damned I wanted what I wanted. I didn't want to settle at all. No regrets at all. I still stop and stare at it for a few min every time I go in/out of the garage. It still doesn't feel real. It's just such an unbelievable car and just feels special.

I say go for it. But I say if you can swing it, get a turbo. Depreciation on them has screeched to a halt and depending on mileage and specs I've seen some appreciation. Even 996's are coming back up. Neither to the extent of the gt3 but still enough to where you're not going to lose your ***.
I think I said it earlier, and I know it sounds funny, but something in me really wants to leave the turbo for another day. I could stretch my planned budget a bit and get a bit older turbo, but assuming I jump from ISF to a 911, the turbo would be a down the road vehicle after that. But like you said, I'm looking for a very specific type of car and do not want to settle on something just to get my foot in the door. If I make the jump, it has to be to a car configured just like I want. I'll look turbo if/when I feel better about spending about $20K more than I'm willing to spend right now to give myself the room to really shop.

Originally Posted by gearcase
What about that black AMG looks like a runner. Sorry about adding AMG black into the mix?!
I'd keep the ISF before dropping money on something like that. I'd be going more in the sports car direction and less in the luxury sporty sedan or big coupe direction.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Talk me out of this guys...