IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-15, 04:20 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF_GG
I agree, this should be not only embraced by smog regulations, but made standard on all cars. I'll be ordering mine asap.
After my inspection results, I placed an order.

-Mike
Old 06-20-15, 05:51 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have one on the way as well as the control arm bushings. I'm looking forward to trying this out. I've noticed that same puff of smoke from the top gear video and its somewhat concerning even if it doesn't cause problems down the road. Glad that there are some other companies dipping their toes into the isf platform.
Old 06-20-15, 06:13 PM
Lexgendboi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
I popped the hose from my intake manifold today, and here's the result.

-Mike

WOW, thats concerning
Old 06-20-15, 08:40 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

RR racing, are there any other options for that black cannister? bigger housing or at least a diff color than black? mine as well make it a form and function type of thing. im interested.
Old 06-21-15, 09:17 AM
KLexus50
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KLexus50
Rafi,

I understand it is intended that the air/oil separator be used with your racing intake to eliminate oil ingestion to the combustion cycle. Is there still an appreciable amount of oil ingestion, on race days, if a traditional style intake is used with this separator?
Any answer to this?
Old 06-21-15, 02:09 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by KLexus50
Any answer to this?

Most of the oil ingestion is coming from the PCV system and crankcase. By comparison, the amount that is coming from the valve breathers into the two intake pipes is small.

We do offer an intake that deletes the valve breather pipes as well, but this is something you can easily rig up to an existing intake if you already have one.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 06-21-15, 02:12 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
RR racing, are there any other options for that black cannister? bigger housing or at least a diff color than black? mine as well make it a form and function type of thing. im interested.
We have blue hoses if that helps? If you order and make a special request for blue hoses, I would be happy to make the change.

Rafi

Old 06-22-15, 06:12 AM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator

Have any of you guys had the smoke issue who don't track your cars.. I drive mine "spirited" on the street but will never track it. That being said, is this something that would be beneficial to me or overkill.... And is there a way to tell other than the oil in that pipe off the manifold/obvious oil consumption/white smoke.. If this is or will be an issue.

Thanks guys, I'd rather save my money for side skirts if this isn't going to make a difference for my daily driver
Old 06-22-15, 09:22 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

^ well for me side skirts will simply add weight and make you slower

I don't track my car either and never really knew my car puffs smoke when at WOT, but I've been told by friends that it does, so I'm seriously considering this
Old 06-22-15, 05:20 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

This seems like a no brainer for $160......I just placed my order yesterday
Old 06-23-15, 06:39 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Most of the oil ingestion is coming from the PCV system and crankcase. By comparison, the amount that is coming from the valve breathers into the two intake pipes is small.

We do offer an intake that deletes the valve breather pipes as well, but this is something you can easily rig up to an existing intake if you already have one.

Rafi
There's none coming from the intake tubes if the system is working correctly. Those are the filtered air source going into the engine, not crankcase air coming out of the engine. Deleting those tubes isn't exactly the simplest thing unless you are unconcerned about scavenging the vapors inside the engine.

The factory already has an oil/air separator underneath the intake plenum. Apparently it needs some help. Its also very possible there is a part for the RC F engine to replace this with a more efficient piece. I have not looked into this, but it would seem if this is a real problem, Lexus would have both discovered it (24 hours at Thunderhill would definitely make this show up), and addressed it in the newer model.

UPDATE: Meh - no change. New Car Features for the separator case shows the exact same technology in the exact same place doing the exact same thing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-23-15 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-23-15, 07:14 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There's none coming from the intake tubes if the system is working correctly. Those are the filtered air source going into the engine, not crankcase air coming out of the engine. Deleting those tubes isn't exactly the simplest thing unless you are unconcerned about scavenging the vapors inside the engine.

The factory already has an oil/air separator underneath the intake plenum. Apparently it needs some help. Its also very possible there is a part for the RC F engine to replace this with a more efficient piece. I have not looked into this, but it would seem if this is a real problem, Lexus would have both discovered it (24 hours at Thunderhill would definitely make this show up), and addressed it in the newer model.

UPDATE: Meh - no change. New Car Features for the separator case shows the exact same technology in the exact same place doing the exact same thing.

... which is why we are listing the AOS for the RCF as well.

thanks,

Rafi

Old 06-24-15, 09:03 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I installed mine earlier today. Very simple install. My pcv hose looked just like mikersoft's after he pulled his in the previous post. Only concern is some of the 90 degree bends look a little flexed afterwards but I don't think that is a problem. Drove around for a few minutes and no check engine lights or noticeable smoke coming from the exhaust.

Will report back with pics tomorrow and later on for a follow up on the amounts I accumulate.

One question for RR- is the oil safe to empty back into the engine or could it be contaminated and should be disposed of instead? I've noticed my car burns a little oil and I would love for this to help solve that.
Old 06-25-15, 02:20 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

^ care to share with us some pics of your engine bay after the install?
Old 06-25-15, 04:29 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I installed mine yesterday (along with intake). I know intakes don't add much power & the AOS is only supposed to prevent power loss, but I did notice an improvement during a spirited post-install test drive. The engine felt a bit smoother & more responsive. So far, so good. Now I need to get back to the track!

-Mike

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator