IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Avoided Collision But Went Up a Curb

Old 06-15-15, 12:34 PM
GreyISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Avoided Collision But Went Up a Curb

So last night I was heading home from a buddy's house at a little after midnight when some ****** decides to just pull out of a neighborhood right in front of me when I'm going about 40mph and caused me to swerve and the back-end kicked out. I bought this car about a month ago and the guy I bought it off had some pretty warn Michelin SS's on the car and I haven't got around to replacing them yet. The guy pulled out in front of me when I was like 10 feet away from him and I swerved pretty hard just from panicking (probably didn't need to swerve that hard but was scared since I just got this car) but the backend kicked out so now that the back ends out I start sliding towards a curb and started to brake but realized I would head into the curb sideways and possibly snap an axle and break a rim or screw the whole car up so I decided to gas it so the backend would go straight up the curb instead of sidewaysor at an angle and I'm sitting there heart pounding fast as **** and I get out in preparation to cry because I figured my dream car I just got was done for. Luckily the only damage I could see was a slightly curbed wheel but the wheels were already curbed from the previous owner and also a scrapped right side skirt but that's it. I drove it and the car was already out of alignment and pulled to the right and driving it on a flat road I didn't notice any difference in the way it drives it still pulled to the right the same amount it did before and there's no vibrations in the steering or anything. My main question is if there is possibly anything that could be busted that I don't know of? I have no idea how fast I went up the curb because this all happened so fast but if I had to guess I would say 20-25mph since I slammed on the brake and did like a 270 degree skid. I already had planned on taking the car today to get a full detail to make it look brand new again so I won't have the car until Thursday and its making me nervous that I have to wait a few days to see if there's any other damage. I'm truly shocked that was the only damage and this car must be built pretty darn tough if that's really the only damage
Old 06-15-15, 12:43 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

This thread is worthless with out a picture
Old 06-15-15, 12:55 PM
GreyISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISF4life
This thread is worthless with out a picture
Ya I'm gonna post some pics of it when I get the car back
Old 06-15-15, 03:32 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Sad to say but a lot of things could have gone wrong.. Your rims may have cracked due to impact, which will slowly leak out air, suspension components could have god damaged, exhaust dents, etc.. take it to a mechanic and get it checked!

-Josh
Old 06-15-15, 04:37 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

i'd venture to guess there's a lot more damage than just the curbed wheel. have a mechanic look at it.
Old 06-15-15, 05:12 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, priorities. It would've been a good idea to postpone the detail until you got this sorted out. Possibly your alignment and tires as well depending on how bad they currently are.

Hopefully there isn't any major damage other than what you've already seen. Good luck.
Old 06-15-15, 06:09 PM
GreyISF
Driver School Candidate

I still have the warranty on the car so if I took it into the dealer to get checked do you think they'd charge for the inspection or what?
Old 06-15-15, 07:20 PM
jw669
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How were you guys' able to read that?
Old 06-15-15, 10:23 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

wheel bearing will prob go bad very soon, upper ball joint, lower ball joint, bent steering knuckle, bent tie rods/ends, bent lower control arm, bent shock.

a lot of car's lower control arms taking the initial impact to save the rest of the suspension. but i would take it to a good alignment place and let them measure things out to see if its the same from side to side.
Old 06-15-15, 11:08 PM
GreyISF
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everybody for the help and suggestions! I went out to the place and took a pic of where the back right wheel went up the curb
Old 06-15-15, 11:19 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jack it up pull that wheel off and look for damage
Old 06-16-15, 02:51 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

Take a close look at the four corners around the sunroof for dents/bulging. There have been some reports of the ISx50's having frame damage when hitting a curb hard enough.
The following users liked this post:
sunamer (10-03-23)
Old 06-16-15, 06:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

sorry to hear about the drama. I would have a tech at the dealership look at it really closely. You need to have the suspension checked, alignment, and a host of other evals. Thankfully you weren't hurt
Old 06-18-15, 12:26 AM
GreyISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 93MSB
Take a close look at the four corners around the sunroof for dents/bulging. There have been some reports of the ISx50's having frame damage when hitting a curb hard enough.
Wow shoot I never heard about that! but I checked and all of that seems to be okay thank goodness
The following users liked this post:
sunamer (10-03-23)
Old 06-18-15, 12:28 AM
GreyISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
sorry to hear about the drama. I would have a tech at the dealership look at it really closely. You need to have the suspension checked, alignment, and a host of other evals. Thankfully you weren't hurt
Yeah ill be taking it into the dealer sometime next week when I get back in town and I'll have them check that stuff, thank you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Avoided Collision But Went Up a Curb