IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Shocking dealer recall repair damage!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-15, 04:30 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Shocking dealer recall repair damage!

So we all know about the recalls and leaking water pump on the earlier ISF. I finally made arrangements to get it all done last week dropped car off on a Friday and it was done following Thursday or so I thought. First they broke engine wire harness and tried to charge me 75.00 to replace. I took pictures of harness day I dropped it off showing it undamaged so they repaired at no charge.

So I took car to work yesterday to make sure it was 100 and it seemed fine. Last night popped hood just to check visually and see coolant sprayed everywhere. I'm like what the hell! My old water pump didn't leak like that just had signs of weeping. So after a quick visual inspection I discover this shocking damage and attempted repair. They cracked the plastic tube on the expansion tank and unbelievable super glued it back together. It held for less then a day! I'm so mad not sure what to do. Go straight to lexus corporate or dealer service Manger. Who would do something like this on a Lexus?!?!

Last edited by Gearbangin; 05-16-15 at 04:34 AM.
Old 05-16-15, 04:56 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Dayum!! Thats not acceptable, talk to the service manager then if nothing happens call corporate...
Old 05-16-15, 05:14 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

They white piece is the dried super glue.
Old 05-16-15, 05:26 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would skip the manager
Old 05-16-15, 05:49 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

WTF!!!! Completely Unacceptable! Forget the dealer. I would ave a stern conversation with corporate immediately!!! And expect swift resolution immediately. When you call, you always get someone who takes down your info and concern for call. Tell this person to notify the area supervisor immediately to get on the case! The area supervisor is the individual who tackles the dealer head on and takes both sides of the story and comes to a resolution. This is careless! Such a shame...That our cars have to go through such nonsense.

Last edited by SoulFreak; 05-16-15 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-16-15, 05:52 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What crappy Lexus dealership did this???? We all need to know, to avoid going there for anything, EVER.

Please keep us posted as to what Lexus Corp. does about this.
Old 05-16-15, 07:36 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Holy crap. That is outrageous. You're going to need some lifetime service for free in my opinion.
Old 05-16-15, 08:24 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

My concern now is if piece of plastic got into the engine block. Have a loaner and dropped car off this morning the service rep Lisa wanted the pieces I posted above but I told her I'm keeping for my records. She said they had their best tech on it and doesn't think he would do something like this. She claimed that the belt tension-er broke during repair and they replaced for free, which she claimed was a 300.00 part. I take this with a grain of salt because remember they tried to pull the crack wire harness on me but I pointed out I documented condition prior to drop off and it was perfect.

I wrote my cell number on the back of my business car (I'm an attorney) and said have the manager call me personally asap. The implication is if this isn't resolved to my satisfaction Ill bring suit for damages etc.
Old 05-17-15, 05:27 AM
Dupshaw123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
So we all know about the recalls and leaking water pump on the earlier ISF. I finally made arrangements to get it all done last week dropped car off on a Friday and it was done following Thursday or so I thought. First they broke engine wire harness and tried to charge me 75.00 to replace. I took pictures of harness day I dropped it off showing it undamaged so they repaired at no charge.

So I took car to work yesterday to make sure it was 100 and it seemed fine. Last night popped hood just to check visually and see coolant sprayed everywhere. I'm like what the hell! My old water pump didn't leak like that just had signs of weeping. So after a quick visual inspection I discover this shocking damage and attempted repair. They cracked the plastic tube on the expansion tank and unbelievable super glued it back together. It held for less then a day! I'm so mad not sure what to do. Go straight to lexus corporate or dealer service Manger. Who would do something like this on a Lexus?!?!

This doesn't surprise me. Typical Lexus service quality control right there. They hire inexperienced idiots to work in the service department, many of which do not know a single thing about the IS-F. Lol. I don't get why Lexus service has such low standards... Porsche for example extensively hires and trains their technicians, and they have EXCELLENT quality control and customer satisfaction is their top priority. You really do feel as if the people who are working on your car know what they are doing. The same thing can't be said about Lexus service quality. I really wish Lexus did a better job recruiting and training skilled technicians, especially with the advanced technology that is in cars today. This is why I don't take my car to Lexus unless I absolutely have to.
Old 05-17-15, 05:51 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Absolutely unacceptable. You are doing the right thing by documenting everything in case you actually need to bring a civil lawsuit for damages, and politely, but sternly complaining up the chain. Yes, talking to corporate is an option and maybe something you should do, but in order to resolve anything it'll have to get done on a local level, so you should also complain to management of your dealership as well. Accept nothing less than a full resolution of your problem and a compensation (either in money or freebies) for your time spent dealing with this nonsense.

As the poster above me stated, Lexus techs aren't always "all in" with respect to the product they repair. Some of them are just low(er) paid techs who don't give a crap about the cars, unlike techs at more niche high-end car service shops like Porsche. Looks like someone just tried to cut corners and sneak one by with your $65K car and good that you caught and documented everything.
Old 05-17-15, 07:37 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
My concern now is if piece of plastic got into the engine block. Have a loaner and dropped car off this morning the service rep Lisa wanted the pieces I posted above but I told her I'm keeping for my records. She said they had their best tech on it and doesn't think he would do something like this. She claimed that the belt tension-er broke during repair and they replaced for free, which she claimed was a 300.00 part. I take this with a grain of salt because remember they tried to pull the crack wire harness on me but I pointed out I documented condition prior to drop off and it was perfect.

I wrote my cell number on the back of my business car (I'm an attorney) and said have the manager call me personally asap. The implication is if this isn't resolved to my satisfaction Ill bring suit for damages etc.
Typical attorney! The idea that one can get a quality repair when someone is working "flat rate" is an oxymoron...I would contact Lexus directly and let them know where you are currently at with regards to the process, and ask them for assistance in this matter. P.S. check your PM's
Old 05-17-15, 11:56 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
Typical attorney! The idea that one can get a quality repair when someone is working "flat rate" is an oxymoron...I would contact Lexus directly and let them know where you are currently at with regards to the process, and ask them for assistance in this matter. P.S. check your PM's
Typical attorney?! Really? This would be a very appropriate move and a situation where I think many of us would wish we were attorneys.

Gearbangin flex that professional muscle bud and good luck. I think just dealing with the dealership directly will be the fastest way to resolve this. And good move on letting them know you know a thing or two about your rights and liability for damages.
Old 05-17-15, 03:32 PM
PiusGS
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Got ****ty service too

I took my 09 for the recalls and 60k service. Once I got home I decided to check and see if they actually did work on the car like they stated. I had marked the nuts on the coils and when I took the engine cover off I saw the wire harness protector cracked. I flipped! They had also scratched the engine cover and the "f" logo. I also had requested and paid extra to have them clean the throttle bottle. None of that work was done. I talked the owner and service manager and had them replace and redo the service. Till today I still don't believe if they even redid the service. Never going back there again.

Last edited by PiusGS; 05-17-15 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Picture upload
Old 05-17-15, 10:31 PM
Dupshaw123
Rookie

Originally Posted by PiusGS
I took my 09 for the recalls and 60k service. Once I got home I decided to check and see if they actually did work on the car like they stated. I had marked the nuts on the coils and when I took the engine cover off I saw the wire harness protector cracked. I flipped! They had also scratched the engine cover and the "f" logo. I also had requested and paid extra to have them clean the throttle bottle. None of that work was done. I talked the owner and service manager and had them replace and redo the service. Till today I still don't believe if they even redid the service. Never going back there again.

Hopefully someone can speak to Lexus corporate about quality control. And tell corporate to take a look at some of these threads. It's unfair the prices that they charge.

Just an FYI you can do the throttle body cleaning yourself. It takes about 15 minutes and the can of throttle body cleaner costs like 4 dollars. I am sure they charged you an hour of labor.

Call me bitter but I am just speaking about past experiences with other luxury car brands (Porsche and Mercedes) they usually just hook you up with certain things like not charging you for a simple throttle body cleaning if they are doing a recall on your engine anyways. I just get really frustrated that Lexus does not uphold the company as a luxury brand at times. Sometimes you are treated as if you walked into a Toyota dealership... Yet you have a 70k car. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 05-18-15, 02:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Dude, I got into it with a local dealership for damaging my car and telling me they could not diagnose my problem after 23 days in the shop and 692 miles of "test driving" and Lexus corporate was a joke and they booted me from the dealership for a year because I did horrendous reviews online. Lexus cant control them and they can make a problem for you if you go too high with it. The problem has been resolved and I do business with a sister dealership

Quick Reply: Shocking dealer recall repair damage!