IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

any1 have dyno numbers of BORLA axle back vs. HKS SSM axle back

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-15, 10:52 PM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default any1 have dyno numbers of BORLA axle back vs. HKS SSM axle back

i've been thinking for a couple days now on which exhaust i should go for....i did a search on both but only saw the HKS ssm axle back dyno numbers (about 8-10HP gain?) the borla on the other hand i dont know about the gains....
i read the HKS really really sounds good....but i dont want to spend that much for a great sounding exhaust....so im more inclined to $ vs. HP gains
any thoughts which 1 i should go for?
Old 03-09-15, 08:26 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've owned both systems.

I currently have the HKS SSM full system with the mid muffler removed, and replaced with an E-cutout.

I believe the Borla system consistently shows better gains (the best gains I have seen on an ISF), but I personally prefer the higher pitched note of the HKS SSM.

My GF really liked the sound of the Borla.

As far as quality goes, there is no comparison. The HKS system far exceeds the borla in every single way.
Old 03-09-15, 10:35 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

any axle back exhaust will not yield much hp. maybe 5-10 hp at best and certainly nothing your butt will be able to notice. you'll need to install a complete system, removing the 2ndary cats to see any difference. also, people on here have said the borla axle back drones even more than the full cat back. i've had the cat back and it's pretty quiet. had to remove it for smog purposes.
Old 03-09-15, 10:08 PM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cremaster
any axle back exhaust will not yield much hp. maybe 5-10 hp at best and certainly nothing your butt will be able to notice. you'll need to install a complete system, removing the 2ndary cats to see any difference. also, people on here have said the borla axle back drones even more than the full cat back. i've had the cat back and it's pretty quiet. had to remove it for smog purposes.
thanks mate,i had the 2nd cats removed last month, i was surprised how much power i got from removing it,(removed cats and reset ecu) so i wanted to go axle-back thinking i will have additional gains
Old 03-09-15, 11:59 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltaboso
thanks mate,i had the 2nd cats removed last month, i was surprised how much power i got from removing it,(removed cats and reset ecu) so i wanted to go axle-back thinking i will have additional gains
point blank if you are just looking to dyno your car and see gains on paper (some people just like the visual) you may or may not see gains from doing the Borla Axle back.
But the car will be no faster. axle back or no axle back
but if you are going for better sounding meaner sounding...then yes I think the borla is a good choice
I have the axle back on my car with PPE headers and it sounds amazing to me. Sounds like it should - mean!
Old 03-10-15, 12:09 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
point blank if you are just looking to dyno your car and see gains on paper (some people just like the visual) you may or may not see gains from doing the Borla Axle back.
but if you are going for better sounding meaner sounding...then yes I think the borla is a good choice
I have the axle back on my car with PPE headers and it sounds amazing to me. Sounds like it should - mean!
i have sikky headers with gutted 2nd cats and stock muffler,you mean if i install an axle-back i wont be seeing that big of a difference? im not after dyno numbers,i want more of butt dyno rather than paper
Old 03-10-15, 07:59 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If you are only considering an axle back exhaust, why do you care about the gains? They will be minimal.
Old 03-11-15, 12:17 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gymkata
If you are only considering an axle back exhaust, why do you care about the gains? They will be minimal.
i have a feeling gutting the 2nd cats and buying a HKS midpipe is almost the same,besides there is no stainless pipes that are 60mm inside diameter,the only available is 2",2.5" and 3" (here in the philippines) and i also feel that the stock mid-pipe has better flow rather than making a custom mid-pipe....just my 2 cents...
Old 03-11-15, 12:59 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

lol at talking about HP gains with an axleback exhaust.
Old 03-11-15, 01:24 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

if the stock Y pipe is really badly designed, we should see gains when replacing the Y pipe in an axle-back right?
Old 03-11-15, 01:31 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

if you want hp gains, you get something that gets rid of the cats.
Old 03-11-15, 06:18 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
lol at talking about HP gains with an axleback exhaust.
Exactly this and I HAVE a Borla axle back. I only got it to better hear the V8.
Old 03-11-15, 08:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Gymkata
The difference between them would be less than a couple of HP , if even.
Old 11-27-17, 08:15 PM
MTHANG
Driver School Candidate

Default headers and axle back

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
hi

does the axle back have any drone with the ppe headers? Heard Borla axle back by itself has a lot of drone.

thanks
Old 11-29-17, 09:38 AM
zojirushi
Driver

Originally Posted by MTHANG
hi

does the axle back have any drone with the ppe headers? Heard Borla axle back by itself has a lot of drone.

thanks
I had the HKS SSM with PPE headers and stock mid-pipe. I didn't experience any noticeable droning. Best setup imo if you're looking for something more aggressive without being obnoxious.

Quick Reply: any1 have dyno numbers of BORLA axle back vs. HKS SSM axle back