IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Some guys just don't get the "F"

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-14, 08:43 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Some guys just don't get the "F"

So I pulled up at the gas station to fill up tonight and as I was finishing up this guy pulls in with his IS350 F-sport. He looks at my car and asks "Is that a 250 or a 350?" I told him to just look at the trunk lid, thinking he'll see the prominent "F" emblem. Well he never bothered looking and just started ranting about how he's had both a 250 and a 350 and that his new 350 F-sport is the best of them all. Then he goes on about how great his F-sport seats are and the suspension and all kinds of stuff about his car. I acknowledged that his was a really good car and that I had seriously considered buying one but settled on my F instead. He looked at my car again and said oh yeah that's the one with the 400HP motor, it's got a really stiff suspension and hard ride. I quickly mentioned that mine being a 2012 has a very nice suspension and a really good ride. Wished him a good day and went on my way.

Not sure if he really knows what an "F" is about. I think to appreciate the F you need to know cars and you need to drive one. It's really a very select few that ever get to experience cars like this.
Old 11-25-14, 08:49 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha I get the is it a "250 or 350" all the time when I told my coworkers that I drive an IS F. It is all good.
Old 11-26-14, 03:32 AM
mcgivern
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tell them it's a "500".
Old 11-26-14, 04:25 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I normally just grin, crank the car up and watch their face of bewilderment as I drive away knowing that they are thinking 'what the hell does that thing have in it?'
Old 11-26-14, 05:15 AM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

Jajaja

One day im at the local track , racing in an event , hit my pass And decided to park the car . An old guy is next to my car looking at it , he ask me what have you done to this? Is fast!

And i started explaining h,i,e, nos , but then I stoped look at him and asked :why you ask?... He told me " because I have one of this and I would love mine to be this fast!" Then I realized and asked him : you have an F? He goes "whats that? " To make story short he had a is250 and he thought mine was one modded is 250 !!! Lol
Old 11-26-14, 06:47 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

My co-worker was telling me he is looking at getting wife a Lexus. He said he was at the dealership and they had a whole bunch of my car on the lot in every color and his wife just has to decide. I told him they are prob IS 250s they have and he said yea they are, just like urs. I told him all about the different IS models but the F-Sport thing was the issue with him understanding. Not his fault at all, F-Sport line is the reason everybody thinks the F is just a badged up regular IS. I solved the problem, took him for a ride after work and he was amazed. Told me "Yea this is def not like the IS 250 we drove, this thing is unreal!"
Old 11-26-14, 07:49 AM
LO 21
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgivern
Lol. Amazing response. I'm going to have to use that.

My favorite is from guests/passengers (a.k.a. females):
"Oh I love your blue. I have the same one in white!"

No you don't, honey. No you don't..
Old 11-26-14, 08:56 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LO 21
My favorite is from guests/passengers (a.k.a. females):
"Oh I love your blue. I have the same one in white!"

No you don't, honey. No you don't..
Leon, I like that. Lol!

Ran into this a lot in the states. I just smiled and let the exhaust note hit them.

In Germany all the American enthusiast seem to know about the F but the Germans not so much. Lexus is fairly rare and the Germans look puzzled when they see the car and hear the exhaust note.
Old 11-26-14, 09:01 AM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my in laws mom tell me she had a car just like mine for a loaner.... And her husband went on about how he figured his 250c was better than my car. Just smile and nod.
Old 11-26-14, 09:06 AM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mcgivern
hmm good idea, i think i will have to start answering with 450, or 850... kinda suits it though dont ya think? lol
Old 11-26-14, 09:10 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Seven years, and still the public doesn't know what this car is or what it's capable of. But those who are able to own one or even get some behind-the-wheel time with one knows exactly what it is. Lexus didn't create the F performance line to mimic the more mass-produced siblings of the 250/350, and that's what I appreciate more about this car. The low volume allows me to enjoy each sighting when I do get to see them, and it's not as often as it is living in Southern California, where there is large number of owners compared to the rest of the nation.

My biggest gripe is asking the parts counter for a water pump quote, and they ask me if it's for a 250 or 350-F....
Old 11-26-14, 09:37 AM
thatnewguy
Driver

I almost hate telling people. It makes me feel like a jerk sometimes… it usually goes like this:

"Oh is that one of the x50 F Sports?"
"No, it's the IS-F."
Look of confusion
"The one with 416 hp, a V8…?"

They usually ask a few more questions, but just feel a little pretentious when I try to explain.
Old 11-26-14, 10:00 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Lolz just let them hear it lolz "rev it up rev it up , and ask does yours 250 or 350 or the f sport sound like this lolz " If they r not convince then let it line up lolz . I have not had anything like that oh they know my car its the real F
Old 11-26-14, 10:24 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Mustang came up to me at a red light the other day, he revved his car to like 3k, we both took off and I was a good 5-6 cars ahead of him by the time I hit 100. He pulled up and said wtf just happened LOL. he had the v6 btw..hahah

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 11-26-14, 11:00 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I do like when people don't assume, like in this story. I backed my IS-F in a spot next to the restaurant where there are all windows and people eating would definitely hear me backing in. I didn't do it on purpose but it was the only spot left. I saw a really good looking blonde lady checking out the car as I got out but I didn't think anything of it. So I'm sitting down talking with my co workers and she actually got up and came up to me to ask about the car. She said she was looking for an IS350 but she had never seen an IS-F before. I explained it to her and she gave me a big smile and said, "I need to get one of those"

Last edited by PatrickISF; 11-26-14 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Some guys just don't get the "F"