Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-14, 08:54 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button

Hey pals,
Wanting to change this button in my 08 from "source" radio control to Sport controller (sport on /sport off).

I'm good with electronics and know my way around vanilla Techstream, however this, to me, seems a tall order.

Any thoughts from elec. gurus?
Old 10-21-14, 02:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Possible, but very challenging to do cleanly. You'll be moving pins in connectors and putting extensions in place. I would not bother. I have thought about it though. Biggest issue is we have a three pole switch for sport - snow is in the other direction. So you can't ditch the sport switch without losing the snow mode.
Old 10-22-14, 02:37 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So you can't ditch the sport switch without losing the snow mode.
Thanks for the reply Lobux. I totally figured this, but it'd be cool by me. Anyway, if I dig any deeper, I'll post pics and a procedure. Stay cool.
Old 10-22-14, 08:49 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd be interested in this as well.... It's unfortunate wiring has never been my forte. Hope you can come up with a solution. I could care less about the snow mode button. It's just very inconvenient having to reach down on the dash to flick the sport button when it should've been on the steering wheel in the first place.

Assuming the wiring from the mode button is going towards the radio area? Could intercept that with the sport button wiring?
Old 02-11-15, 07:18 PM
Golfer2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
I'd be interested in this as well.... It's unfortunate wiring has never been my forte. Hope you can come up with a solution. I could care less about the snow mode button. It's just very inconvenient having to reach down on the dash to flick the sport button when it should've been on the steering wheel in the first place.

Assuming the wiring from the mode button is going towards the radio area? Could intercept that with the sport button wiring?
Has anyone tried this yet?
Old 02-11-15, 07:35 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

if i understand correctly you wanna put your sports button on the steering wheel like the My11+?
Old 02-12-15, 09:10 AM
T4kAttack1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Golfer2000
Has anyone tried this yet?
I doubt it, but good luck to whoever does. This will be a big task at hand and would take a very long time to do. I'm in the car wiring field and would not want to do this lol.
Old 02-12-15, 10:03 AM
fearnight
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

It's definitely possible, but not an easy task. You would need to identify the mode button coming from the steering wheel and wire it to send the signal instead of the Sport/Snow switch. Bonus points if you can retain both switches.
Old 02-12-15, 01:19 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually this does not seem all that complicated. Both are just momentary switches. So likely you can just swap wires. The Sport/Snow Mode switch would be tricky; that is if you want to retain Snow mode or move the radio mode button to operate at the Sport Mode switch.

Diagrams posted for reference.
Attached Thumbnails Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button-sport_snow_mode_switch.jpg   Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button-steering.jpg   Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button-steering_harness.jpg  
Old 02-17-15, 06:44 PM
Golfer2000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
Actually this does not seem all that complicated. Both are just momentary switches. So likely you can just swap wires. The Sport/Snow Mode switch would be tricky; that is if you want to retain Snow mode or move the radio mode button to operate at the Sport Mode switch.

Diagrams posted for reference.
I also have a few diagrams I can post if someone can read them and figure it out.
Old 02-18-15, 09:34 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Please post any diagrams & thanks to Fsport2UR who did.
My biggest concern is throwing one or two of the ECUs into a conniption even after a successful re-wire...
Old 02-18-15, 05:11 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
Please post any diagrams & thanks to Fsport2UR who did.
My biggest concern is throwing one or two of the ECUs into a conniption even after a successful re-wire...
No problemo.
I wouldn't think you could throw any ECU in to some error state with a mod to these switches(unless you are shorting them out in some way). Considering, both the Sport Mode switch and Mode switch are both the same type, momentarily held open and closed when you hold down the button. Look at the troubleshooting state of both...they are either on or off. They are not sensors of any sort being checked by the ECU. Just a simple switch that are left in an open state. I've wired more complicated switches on my other vehicles. The ISF I see as no different. While the ECUs on the Lexus are complex and complicated, the user control switches themselves are not.

This is an 'idea' of how I would wire it up. Maybe others here can also comment if it may work or not. Cut the two wires on the Mode Switch and cap off these live wires(the ones coming from harness) so they cannot come in contact with anything. Leave the Sport/Snow Mode switch alone; but splice two wires on pins 1 and 6 from wiring harness of the Sport/Snow Mode switch...run these two wires to the Mode Switch on the steering wheel controls.
All you are doing is running the Mode Switch in parallel with the Sport Mode pin wires.
To have an active relocated Mode Switch, I would suggest getting any momentary switch and placing it on the left side where the blank option switch panels are on the left side of the dash. Run two wires from that switch to the pin wires of 8 and 9 of the Steering Mounted Control harness. I would call out the wire colors to splice and cut to make it easier, but I am not sure if the ISF color codes change from year to year(I know they did on the Supra MKIV)...so I just mentioned the pin numbers on the harness(and you can refer back to the diagrams I posted).
In a nutshell, Sport/Snow Mode Switches will still work.
Mode Switch will now act as a Sport Mode switch because it is wired in parallel. An added momentary switch will now act as your steering wheel Mode Switch.

Last edited by Fsport2UR; 02-18-15 at 05:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Quadrphnia (12-24-19)
Old 02-19-15, 04:16 PM
Kyle4207
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've successfully done the button swap and it's pretty easy after studying the wiring diagrams. I just haven't had time to do the write up. I've put in the 2013 steering wheel buttons into my 2010, using the factory wire harness I tapped into the factory wire harness after the spiral wiire connector in the steering column. Essentially you use the circuit that is there for the radar cruise control. If you have that option you shouldn't rewire it.

I tapped into the harness where the radar cruise control ECU would have been plugged into, then ran a wire over to the Sport button and tapped in there. This maintains the functionality of the stock button as well.

I don't have much time but will try to write something up in the next couple of months and post it.
The following users liked this post:
Rickna (12-14-18)
Old 02-21-15, 01:19 AM
Golfer2000
Driver School Candidate

Kyle,
I think you may have done something a little different than what we are looking to do here. Instead of putting the updated buttons we are looking to reassign the function of the mode button to change into sport mode rather than change from FM,AM, AUX etc. I don't really care about the snow option. I'd assume the way to do it would be to take the J24-5 (AU2) wire, cut it so that it isn't changing the inputs and then tap it into the J36-6 wire. Again this may be all wrong but that's what I came up. Let me know what you guys think.

Originally Posted by Kyle4207
I've successfully done the button swap and it's pretty easy after studying the wiring diagrams. I just haven't had time to do the write up. I've put in the 2013 steering wheel buttons into my 2010, using the factory wire harness I tapped into the factory wire harness after the spiral wiire connector in the steering column. Essentially you use the circuit that is there for the radar cruise control. If you have that option you shouldn't rewire it.

I tapped into the harness where the radar cruise control ECU would have been plugged into, then ran a wire over to the Sport button and tapped in there. This maintains the functionality of the stock button as well.

I don't have much time but will try to write something up in the next couple of months and post it.
Attached Thumbnails Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button-01-mode-button-steering-wheel-connections.gif   Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button-02-mode-spiral-cable-connectors.gif   Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button-03-mode-connector-going-into-radio-receiver.gif   Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button-04-radio-receiver-connections.gif   Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button-05-sport-switch.gif  

Old 02-21-15, 01:20 AM
Golfer2000
Driver School Candidate

Here are the last two I came up with
Attached Thumbnails Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button-06-sport-switch-wire-harness.gif   Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button-07-main-body-connector-of-sport-switch.gif  

Quick Reply: Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button