IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Help - Issues after JoeZ Exhaust Install

Old 07-27-14, 05:59 AM
robher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Issues after JoeZ Exhaust Install

Hey guys, yesterday I installed my JoeZ exhaust. Everything went super smooth, fired it up, no codes. Drove it home, fine. Drove it around last night, and on the way home the check engine light and traction control light came on. It came on around 80ish miles after install

Nothing seemed to change, so I am assuming it has something to do with the O2 sensors, but everything went so smooth with the install, I am hard pressed to assume something broke.

Any ideas before I start to flip out and take it to Autozone for a diagnostic?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-27-14, 06:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

did the wires get twisted when you installed the O2 sensors? They arent suppose to be twisted. When I do O2 sensors I have to twist in in the opposite direction before threading it in, then after the O2 sensor is screwed in it evens out
Old 07-27-14, 06:08 AM
robher
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
did the wires get twisted when you installed the O2 sensors? They arent suppose to be twisted. When I do O2 sensors I have to twist in in the opposite direction before threading it in, then after the O2 sensor is screwed in it evens out

That's what I did too. I can check to see if I can untwist them some. If they are twisted and I can straighten them out, would that potentially fix them, or would that ruin the sensor?
Old 07-27-14, 06:22 AM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

About 3k on mines no codes....make sure all the gasket are in place n everything is bolted tight.
Old 07-27-14, 07:07 AM
robher
Driver School Candidate

"I got P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency below threshold bank 1

no possible causes available."

From a gasket perspective perspective, there were only 4. We used them on the two midpipe flanges and the muffler flanges. We did not put them on the header to joez connection.
Old 07-27-14, 07:46 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robher
"I got P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency below threshold bank 1

no possible causes available."

From a gasket perspective perspective, there were only 4. We used them on the two midpipe flanges and the muffler flanges. We did not put them on the header to joez connection.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is where Id check for an exhaust leak, after a few heat cycles the exhaust bolts can loosen up some, re torque them all( I bet there is some loose) and see if ur codes go away after a couple of drives or reset the ECM
Old 07-27-14, 09:24 AM
robher
Driver School Candidate

cool. I'll do that. do you know if I should have put gaskets where the new pipes connect to the headers? There were only 4, so I assumed they went on the new sections since they were flat, and the header connection was a little tapered.
Old 07-27-14, 09:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

the header to midpipe doesnt need gaskets. It has this metallic bushing thing built into the piping. I would recheck your O2 sensors again

header gasket is similar to this

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 07-27-14 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-27-14, 09:37 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the header to midpipe doesnt need gaskets. It has this metallic bushing thing built into the piping
+1
Old 07-27-14, 11:07 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

only two things that cause that from the install. that ring gasket (shown above) having a leak or the o2 sensor being twisted. easy fix
Old 07-27-14, 12:46 PM
robher
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rselby
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is where Id check for an exhaust leak, after a few heat cycles the exhaust bolts can loosen up some, re torque them all( I bet there is some loose) and see if ur codes go away after a couple of drives or reset the ECM
The O2 sensor wires looked OK, but I smoothed them out a little. I also found the bolts on the header connection had loosened after the drives yesterday. I tightened them up and reset the ECU. Light is gone, drove it about 10 miles and it's still off for now. Hopefully it'll stay off.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-27-14, 01:37 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

cool glad it was an easy fix
Old 07-27-14, 04:13 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Wonderful advice from all our CL members..

In case you need replace the front 2 - OEM crush gaskets at the OEM manifold & X-pipe connection..

... here is what they look like & part number.

Enjoy !!!

Joe Z
Attached Thumbnails Help - Issues after JoeZ Exhaust Install-image.jpg  
Old 02-18-15, 11:09 AM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Not to bump an old thread, but after installing my Joe Z exhaust on Saturday, I got a check engine light today on the way into work. I don't believe it's anything to do with the Joe Z exhaust itself, but rather the silly way you have to unscrew the O2 sensors and wind them back in to re-install them. You can't just unclip the connector and remove like most cars unless you pull back the carpet.

I used an O2 sensor socket to remove the sensors, but when I threaded them back in, the socket would no longer clear the frame so I don't think I got them tight enough. I suspect I have a leak near one of my O2 sensors or one just became loose.

The code that came up today was: P0157 - Oxygen sensor circuit low voltage, Bank 2 Sensor 2.

Bought a different O2 sensor tool today and I'm going to try to tighten both sensors a little more as well as make sure the wiring isn't bound up.

Which side is bank 2? Passenger side? Thanks
Old 02-18-15, 12:48 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The sensors can be unplugged but you have to do it from the inside of the car

if you pull back the carpet along the transmission tunnel you can get to the plugs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help - Issues after JoeZ Exhaust Install