IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone put clear bra over repaired rock chips ?

Old 02-21-14, 09:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Unhappy Anyone put clear bra over repaired rock chips ?

I just picked up my ISF after being at the dealer for 2 days. I had my clear bra installed over the existing chips and I have bubbles over the chipped spots.It looks like the bra is not sitting on the hood where the chip is. It almost accentuates the appearance of the chips, whereas before I only noticed them at certain angles. I did this to protect my car and it looks worse now. I called the SA and he said the bubbles will get better over a week and to leave the car in the warm sun to let it dry. I do have some smaller random bubbles here and there but my main concern is the appearance of the area over the chips. Does anyone know if those bubbles over the chips will get better ??I have had clear bra on a red G35 before but it was done when new and my LS was done with some chips but it was white so it was much harder to notice scratches or light colored blemishes. They promised that the smaller bubbles will go away and that things will get better . Anyone have any info?

Thanks guys !!
Old 02-22-14, 06:44 AM
08stockisf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

......sorry to be a bummer. The bubbles contain o2. The clear bra will make the repair separate from the untouched paint/ finish. I had some pics of my former LS460. The body shop removed the bra, sanded down to bare metal, repainted then reapplied the bra. I'll look around for the pics, post if successful.
Old 02-22-14, 02:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I did a lot of research online last night and it seem like they should get better. I ended up looking at the car this morning and the bubbles seem about 25% better. I was told to park in the sun. I will and I will keep an eye on it. The service advisor and service manager both said they will make it right matter what. They said to give it a week and then go from there. They were even cool enough to promise me they would get me a good price at their body shop and would even give me a free loaner while the work was being done , although its not the policy to do so,

FINGERS CROSSED !!
Old 02-23-14, 06:48 AM
ISFalex
Driver

I have a problem with scratches in my clear bra. Any idea how I could fix this?
Old 02-23-14, 10:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I have been told that you can use polish on it to get rid of the scratches. I was told the film they used on my car is "self healing". Scratches come out with hot water
Old 02-24-14, 03:54 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

I have the Xpel brand clear bra on the Optima. I was told to use performance polish by 3M and Mcquires spray wax for in between washes. stay away from any products that contain dye. It will discolor the clear bra and eventually turn yellow.

Last edited by tmf2004; 02-24-14 at 03:59 AM.
Old 02-24-14, 03:55 AM
ISFalex
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have been told that you can use polish on it to get rid of the scratches. I was told the film they used on my car is "self healing". Scratches come out with hot water
Thanks. I will try it. Hope it works
Old 02-24-14, 03:55 AM
ISFalex
Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I have the Xpel brand clear bra. I was told to use performance polish by 3M and Mcquires spray wax for in between washes. stay away from any products that contain dye. It will discolor the clear bra and eventually turn yellow.
Mine came with the car. it was from Lexus
Old 02-24-14, 07:20 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had mine applied over rock chips, give it about a week or so in heat and they should go away, if it doesent, poke the spot with a needle and get the air out. The clear bras are generally self healing. check and make sure yours is a self healing before doing that though.
Old 02-24-14, 10:16 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Biggu
I had mine applied over rock chips, give it about a week or so in heat and they should go away, if it doesent, poke the spot with a needle and get the air out. The clear bras are generally self healing. check and make sure yours is a self healing before doing that though.
Thanks buddy. I was told it was in fact self healing. I am in AZ and its in the high 70s , low 80s . I will watch it over the next week and see what I need to do from there. I do have lance needles used for diabetics in my office. I will try to pop one in an inconspicuous place in a week and see how it looks.
Old 02-24-14, 12:02 PM
lindsayISF
Driver School Candidate

I had mine over rock chips it got better but never completely went away. Also have some random bubbles n stuff around too and some other weird mark on the top that I could not get off..going to take it in today to see what they can do mine was from lexus as well
Old 02-24-14, 03:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

in the end thats why we pay the dealer premium. They are always going to make sure you are happy. The SA and manager have been really cool about explaining everything to me. In the end I think the installers should hand out customer info sheets explaining what to expect and how to maintain the film.
Old 02-24-14, 04:26 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Tammer, I'm a bit late, but congratulations!

A couple of thoughts... Unless the chips are very deep, I would expect you to continue to see improvement as the film settles into them. Having said this, I have had a clear bra installed over repaired chips (on another car many moons ago).

The trick is allowing the paint to cure properly, and even then, I would expect the touch-up job to come off with the film were you to remove it. That was my experience when I had to replace the film after a rock cracked it (and the paint underneath was intact!). The film pulled the touch-up paint (and a bit of the surrounding area for one of the bigger chips). It was not pretty.

As for the rest of the discussion, most film manufacturers advise against the use of any abrasive polishes. Even though they say to "wax like paint", that's where the similarities end. Xpel Ultimate is the only self-healing film I am aware of, though I don't know if anything else in the Xpel line is also self-healing. They have a pretty cool video either on their website or on Youtube.

All the best with your new car!
Old 02-25-14, 12:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caha14
Tammer, I'm a bit late, but congratulations!

A couple of thoughts... Unless the chips are very deep, I would expect you to continue to see improvement as the film settles into them. Having said this, I have had a clear bra installed over repaired chips (on another car many moons ago).

The trick is allowing the paint to cure properly, and even then, I would expect the touch-up job to come off with the film were you to remove it. That was my experience when I had to replace the film after a rock cracked it (and the paint underneath was intact!). The film pulled the touch-up paint (and a bit of the surrounding area for one of the bigger chips). It was not pretty.

As for the rest of the discussion, most film manufacturers advise against the use of any abrasive polishes. Even though they say to "wax like paint", that's where the similarities end. Xpel Ultimate is the only self-healing film I am aware of, though I don't know if anything else in the Xpel line is also self-healing. They have a pretty cool video either on their website or on Youtube.

All the best with your new car!

Thank you so much buddy. It does look like its getting better, but I am OCD. Little by little I guess. It already looks decent but when I go back for service next time I want the tech to try to pop some of the bubbles ....or I may give it a try
Old 02-26-14, 05:40 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISFalex
Mine came with the car. it was from Lexus
Lexus uses 3M. You can lightly buff them out but they will not self heal. The only two self healing films out now are Suntek and Xpel Ultimate.

As far as the bubbles getting better it all depends on the chip touch ups. If they are large... as in the paint was dabbed on there and it made a hump then all the air will not go away. The issue is the film will not lay in a small gap like the one that is created around the paint. That's why it is important to use as little of paint as possible so that it is as smooth as possible.

Last edited by PTmobile; 02-26-14 at 05:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sc3dreamin (02-21-18)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone put clear bra over repaired rock chips ?