IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Painting calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-14, 06:27 PM
robher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting calipers

Have many of you guys done this? I really want to match the trim in my car. It's black exterior with orange interior accents. Currently I have stock black calipers.

I've seen a lot of various pics but I'm afraid of it looking DIY, so I'm considering trying to find someone to do it professionally.
Attached Thumbnails Painting calipers-image.jpg  
Old 06-23-14, 06:51 PM
SoCal_450h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this what I did.....

Old 06-23-14, 07:01 PM
robher
Driver School Candidate

That looks sweet. . Did you use the H2 orange system? Curious if you have orange trim like me and if it matches pretty close?

Also, did you paint it with calipers on or off?
Old 06-23-14, 08:44 PM
SoCal_450h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by robher
That looks sweet. . Did you use the H2 orange system? Curious if you have orange trim like me and if it matches pretty close?

Also, did you paint it with calipers on or off?
No, I didn't used H2 orange, that is FRS Hot Lava orange.
I did with the calipers off, because I had to sand blasted the previous color (silver with red lettering)
Old 06-23-14, 09:23 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

LFA Orange...

On my "to do" list..

Joe Z
Old 06-23-14, 09:34 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
LFA Orange...

On my "to do" list..

Joe Z
That's an awesome color! I too am curious about who can do it professionally with a quick turnaround time. I was under the impression that the piston seals have to be rebuilt if you power coat them or sand blast them
Old 06-24-14, 05:10 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

If you're going to the trouble to remove, media blast and paint, why not powder coat? Much more durable and and lasts longer.
Old 06-24-14, 06:18 AM
robher
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
That's an awesome color! I too am curious about who can do it professionally with a quick turnaround time. I was under the impression that the piston seals have to be rebuilt if you power coat them or sand blast them
This is my understanding. The heat in the powder coating process kills the seals, so they have to be rebuilt. But painting them should be fine.

I'm just curious on what the wallet damage would look like if they were powder coated and rebuilt.

I guess I could call a body shop to see what they would charge. I don't know that I want to go to that length though and kill the warranty on the brake system. I just got a free brake job (pads, reworking, etc) because of a TSB since they were squealing a bit.

I think if I just paint them (or have them painted), I'd be OK on the warranty piece.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
LFA Orange...

On my "to do" list..

Joe Z
hot damn.. that's the pic I saw that got me thinking of doing it!!
Old 06-24-14, 07:08 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm not sure if you understand how powdercoating brake calipers works:
The rubber dust boots (some refer to them as seals--you might be) are removed prior to powdercoating. The pistons, dust boots, and bleeder all stay out of the oven.
Make sure your powdercoater does not get paint into any threads or into the piston enclosures.
Old 06-24-14, 12:47 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the exact color I've been wanting for months now! Just haven't taken the leap to commit to not having my car for two days...plus, I don't really know any reputable shops that specialize in painting calipers in LA as I just moved here.
Old 06-24-14, 02:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

looks good with a silver, black or white car. Other than that it will look a little silly imho
Old 06-24-14, 02:50 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy to do I did mine in about 5 hours

I left my calipers on cleaned them really good taped and plastic everything off nicely. Purchased my paint through automotivetouchup.com they have every car color imaginable and in an aerosol can that sprays awesome. I took some 400 grit sand paper roughed up the calipers. Sprayed about 6-8 light coats of paint on letting dry for about 5 minutes between each coat (it was a warm day) then applied the Brembo sticker I got online and then did about 6-8 coats of there high gloss clear coat. Came out great and was an easy DIY.
Old 06-24-14, 04:21 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

I did mine while doing a full brake job (replaced pads and rotors and full flush) and actually painted them off the car.

My process was pretty much the same except I placed the decals AFTER spraying all layers of the clear. That way the decals can be replaced down the road incase I wanted to change it for whatever reason without having to strip off the paint. After a few months the calipers still look great and the decals are still glossy and intact. I did mine in VHT burnt copper.
Old 06-24-14, 04:50 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been wanting to do this for a while now, but I'm hesitant because I'm awful with spray painting. Really awful. I'm leaning toward the G2 kit but I feel using a brush will leave the paint with brush strokes in it. Anybody use the G2 kit with top notch results?
Old 06-24-14, 05:03 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaper21
I've been wanting to do this for a while now, but I'm hesitant because I'm awful with spray painting. Really awful. I'm leaning toward the G2 kit but I feel using a brush will leave the paint with brush strokes in it. Anybody use the G2 kit with top notch results?
I 've used the G2 kit on previous cars. If you take your time with some patience, the results are very good.

Painting calipers-caliper_l-resize.jpg

Quick Reply: Painting calipers