IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

HPS Intake Elbow + aFe Oiled Filter Dyno Results

Old 09-06-17, 04:27 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Arrow HPS Intake Elbow + aFe Oiled Filter Dyno Results

I wanted to do this since information is scattered and seemingly inconsistent on the forum, from "I gained 10 whp" to "I lost 10 whp", I had to find out for myself on my car.

Huge thanks to Josh at Meraki Autoworks for the aFE Filter!

I was able to add 13 whp and 13 tq. with the HPS Intake Elbow and aFe Oiled Filter.
HPS Intake Elbow gained 9 whp and 7 wtq
aFe Oiled Filter gained 4 whp and 6 wtq
370 whp and 354 wtq to 383 whp and 367 wtq!
Red is the baseline.
Blue is just the HPS Elbow
Green is the HPS + aFe.
Dyno'd at EAS on their Dynojet. Same wheels, same gas. Baseline was done around 85 degrees F. Intake dyno was done between 88-90 degrees F. Most variables are out of the way so these numbers are as accurate as they can be.

STD

SAE

EAS was kind enough to show me other IS-F dyno runs to look at and compare to my own. I'm putting up the SAE for those who are saying that's the standard. Supposedly with BMW STD is what everyone seems to use on the forums according to Steve. Either way the gains are there!

Last edited by JohnMorgan; 09-07-17 at 08:30 AM. Reason: More specific numbers
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnMorgan:
2URGSE (06-13-19), imp0rted1 (09-07-17)
Old 09-06-17, 04:42 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks.. And nice OG M3. You've got the best color combos of both cars.
Old 09-06-17, 05:02 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Less filtration than stock = more power
Old 09-06-17, 05:54 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Thanks man, cars lose value so I figure I can at least mitigate some of that loss by having rarer combos.

Originally Posted by jum3
Thanks.. And nice OG M3. You've got the best color combos of both cars.
I was surprised to see the intake elbow make such large gains compared to the filter, but in retrospect it makes sense since there would be that much less turbulence after the filter.

Originally Posted by JDMV8
Less filtration than stock = more power
Old 09-06-17, 06:18 PM
threefiveo
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for posting your results! How many miles did you have on the stock filter? I tend to stay away from the oil filters, mostly because I don't trust myself to clean and re-oil them correctly and its far easier to throw in a clean stock filter. I was considering the HPS intake pipe and this may sway me into picking one up.
Old 09-06-17, 09:15 PM
veee8
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the post! Great results as well. Btw how often do you have to clean an oiled filter?
Old 09-06-17, 10:14 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 666 Likes on 589 Posts

Where'd you get that filter?! :P

EAS is the best place to get a dyno.. Steve is the man.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 09-07-17, 04:03 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

AFE has a non oiled version which is what I have. I've had too many sticky throttle body issues (even with super light oiling of the filter) over the years to deal with oiled filters anymore.
Old 09-07-17, 01:50 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

My pleasure! Just wanted to provide others with some clearcut info. I don't know how many miles were on the stock filter when I did my baseline, the second dyno with just the HPS sleeve had a stock filter with about 5k miles on it i believe.

Originally Posted by threefiveo
Thanks for posting your results! How many miles did you have on the stock filter? I tend to stay away from the oil filters, mostly because I don't trust myself to clean and re-oil them correctly and its far easier to throw in a clean stock filter. I was considering the HPS intake pipe and this may sway me into picking one up.
Definitely! I'll have to check, anywhere from 10-20k miles is how often I'll clean mine on my M3. A google search on when to clean your oiled filter will yield some good info.

Originally Posted by veee8
Thanks for the post! Great results as well. Btw how often do you have to clean an oiled filter?
Target

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Where'd you get that filter?! :P

EAS is the best place to get a dyno.. Steve is the man.

-Josh
I'm not planning on oiling it after it's first cleaning. My friend who services my M3 (he's a MasterTech) told me to just wash out the filter, let it dry and then put it back in. I've had no issues with my M3 and I'm going on 20k + miles doing that.

Originally Posted by Jz39
AFE has a non oiled version which is what I have. I've had too many sticky throttle body issues (even with super light oiling of the filter) over the years to deal with oiled filters anymore.
The following users liked this post:
Meraki Autoworks (09-07-17)
Old 09-07-17, 02:47 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

https://www.mishimoto.com/engineerin...d-air-filters/

I never bothered to look up why there are two types, but here is the link if anyone is curious to know why you would need oiled vs. dry type filters.
Old 09-07-17, 08:45 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

The key will be to see if you still see these gains after a couple of thousand miles. I believe the stock ECU tends to adjust for to any changes in airflow that is sensed by the MAF, that ultimately negates any gains.
Old 09-07-17, 09:07 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

I've put about 4000 miles on the HPS elbow so those gains are solidified. It will be interesting to see if the filter remains after the fact which i believe it will.

Originally Posted by Supraman16
The key will be to see if you still see these gains after a couple of thousand miles. I believe the stock ECU tends to adjust for to any changes in airflow that is sensed by the MAF, that ultimately negates any gains.
Old 06-11-19, 04:26 PM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Reviving an old thread. Did it still stay the same? I'm picking up an ISF at the end of the week and was actually thinking about this combo but with the dry filter.
Old 06-11-19, 08:45 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xdejablu3x
Reviving an old thread. Did it still stay the same? I'm picking up an ISF at the end of the week and was actually thinking about this combo but with the dry filter.
Ive only dyno’d after with my exhaust setup so I can’t comment on if the filter gain is solidified but like I said in the thread, the elbows gains were locked in.
Old 06-13-19, 02:55 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I have that same filter and the HPS. Good to know about the numbers.