IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF and RCF 5.0 whats the difference

Old 05-09-14, 02:44 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ISF and RCF 5.0 whats the difference

Does anyone know what is different between the 2 motors, or if anything is interchangeable( like upgrades to ISF to get more HP) from the 5.0 that's in the RCF!
Old 05-09-14, 02:47 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh sweet, yes lets talk about our engine and the engine in a car that isn't even out yet.

Even if anything is interchangable (engine wise) it can't be anything major or else you would require a tune.. something that isn't possible in any USDM Lexus cars.
Old 05-09-14, 02:53 PM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe we'll get lucky and be able to adapt the tune to our cars. That's what I'm hoping for anyway...
Old 05-09-14, 03:48 PM
Oreo
Rookie

The CCS-R has been running the new motor for some time now, anythings possible
Old 05-09-14, 04:07 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Oreo

The new 5.0 motor came with an RC F ECU as well...

I will just upset you all now... Nothing off the RC F motor will just plug & play / work with our set up.

You have to contend with new motor parts, new software, new hardware, new harness.. etc. etc..

I am certain the engine will have a new designation too..

I will be looking at the Engine Cover, thats about it..

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 05-09-14 at 04:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-09-14, 04:08 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by torxuvin
Maybe we'll get lucky and be able to adapt the tune to our cars. That's what I'm hoping for anyway...
lol adapt the tune what.. the ECU for our cars does more than engine work BTW.. it controls everything wired in our cars.. means their ECU is not compatible if thats what you were hoping for.

Originally Posted by Oreo
Yeah its also a race car, not a production car.. difference being Lexus is able to tune the car (whereas we can't) and the other controls of the ECU can be disabled if there are complications, not necessarily needed in a race car.

You guys think these cars are like Hondas? Where we can take a bottom end from one engine or the head from another and then slap on a custom sized header (k20 head/k24 bottom) then create a Frankenstein with more power? Well if thats the case it still requires a custom ECU to tune, can't slap them together and force the ECU to compensate for the output difference.

Even changing the intake manifold from the RC-F may complicate things a whole lot.. Anyways, lots of ignorance in this thread and a whole lot of wishing. These cars are not to be tampered with, Lexus made it clear from the beginning.
Old 05-09-14, 04:13 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

geeez .....was only looking for some knowlage on this, figured id ask on here since most have had their cars longer than I have( and nothing really came up in search)
Old 05-09-14, 07:01 PM
H60Driver
Driver

^^^Ya there's a few dudes here that will bash anything you say if your not a mechanical engineer or haven't read every single thread about everything. We're not all like that. Keep the questions coming.
Old 05-09-14, 07:16 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by H60Driver
^^^Ya there's a few dudes here that will bash anything you say if your not a mechanical engineer or haven't read every single thread about everything. We're not all like that. Keep the questions coming.

It is sad some owners need to be spoon fed everything but thats how these forums are.

Can you help me answer some questions please?

So what exhaust should I get for my car?

Will 19x9 and 19x10 wheels fit my car?

What intake do you recommend?

Sikky Vs PPE which is better?

What seating position should I use for optimal racing position?

Last edited by ISFpat; 05-09-14 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-09-14, 07:24 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they said most of the engine parts were redesigned, all different internals for the higher redline, engine block is one of the few pieces that remains. Had to redesign the engine to have the Atkinson cycle which lowers its displacement to 4.2 during cruising.
Old 05-09-14, 08:39 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ISF Pat u forgot 2 other threads that always surface like a 2Pac song 10 yrs after his death: GTR vs ISF and Should I Plasti-Dip?
Old 05-09-14, 08:43 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mrd916
ISF Pat u forgot 2 other threads that always surface like a 2Pac song 10 yrs after his death: GTR vs ISF and Should I Plasti-Dip?
HAHA
Old 05-09-14, 09:24 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What is this?

Oil Cooler?

Digger08
Old 05-09-14, 09:48 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Oh man... I had faith in you ...

That's the thermostat... Same in our current motor

~ Joe Z

Originally Posted by digger08
What is this?

Oil Cooler?

Digger08
Old 05-10-14, 12:29 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rselby
geeez .....was only looking for some knowlage on this, figured id ask on here since most have had their cars longer than I have( and nothing really came up in search)

Originally Posted by H60Driver
Yes keep them coming . This is a community of enthusiasts to come together, share info, answer questions, etc. . Nobody needs to make anyone else feel like their questions aren't important. If you do not want to add to the discussion then don't . Pretty simple

Here is some info I found :

Of course, everyone really wants to know what’s under the hood. You’ll find the same cast-aluminum block that’s now doing business in the IS-F, but everything else about this DOHC 5.0-liter V-8 engine has been revised. Lightweight titanium valves are again matched with strong, forged connecting rods, but there are new cylinder heads that still incorporate variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust cams. The polished crankshaft is smaller in diameter to reduce friction, while the pistons reduce friction as well. Naturally the intake manifold and exhaust headers are new, and the exhaust barks with a sharper, louder note. The dynamometer numbers aren’t yet final, but we’re told that this engine spins faster than before to deliver at least 450 hp and 384 lb-ft of torque.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...-f-first-look/

Hope this helps

Last edited by I8ABMR; 05-10-14 at 12:36 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ISF and RCF 5.0 whats the difference