IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF and RCF 5.0 whats the difference

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-14, 01:03 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

i think you answered my question but are the current 08 to 14 IS-F's all have forged internals?

If yes than this just means these engines are even more bullet proof than i thought
Old 05-10-14, 05:33 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Joe...guess it just looks different, when the engine is not in the car!

Digger08
Old 05-10-14, 07:48 AM
Oreo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
lol adapt the tune what.. the ECU for our cars does more than engine work BTW.. it controls everything wired in our cars.. means their ECU is not compatible if thats what you were hoping for.

Yeah its also a race car, not a production car.. difference being Lexus is able to tune the car (whereas we can't) and the other controls of the ECU can be disabled if there are complications, not necessarily needed in a race car.

You guys think these cars are like Hondas? Where we can take a bottom end from one engine or the head from another and then slap on a custom sized header (k20 head/k24 bottom) then create a Frankenstein with more power? Well if thats the case it still requires a custom ECU to tune, can't slap them together and force the ECU to compensate for the output difference.

Even changing the intake manifold from the RC-F may complicate things a whole lot.. Anyways, lots of ignorance in this thread and a whole lot of wishing. These cars are not to be tampered with, Lexus made it clear from the beginning.
Race car or not it can still be done! I swapped an ISF motor into my buddies IS250 2 years ago and it runs fine. Anything is possible, its not easy but its possible. Nothing from the IS350 swap matched up but after many hours everything came together. even got all the ECU's to communicate with each other.
Old 05-10-14, 08:00 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Oh man... I had faith in you ...

That's the thermostat... Same in our current motor

~ Joe Z
ha, called out!

man that is such a sweet pic though, had to make it my wallpaper.

Old 05-10-14, 11:04 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

another sweet picture

Old 05-10-14, 11:37 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
lol adapt the tune what.. the ECU for our cars does more than engine work BTW.. it controls everything wired in our cars.. means their ECU is not compatible if thats what you were hoping for.

Yeah its also a race car, not a production car.. difference being Lexus is able to tune the car (whereas we can't) and the other controls of the ECU can be disabled if there are complications, not necessarily needed in a race car.

You guys think these cars are like Hondas? Where we can take a bottom end from one engine or the head from another and then slap on a custom sized header (k20 head/k24 bottom) then create a Frankenstein with more power? Well if thats the case it still requires a custom ECU to tune, can't slap them together and force the ECU to compensate for the output difference.

Even changing the intake manifold from the RC-F may complicate things a whole lot.. Anyways, lots of ignorance in this thread and a whole lot of wishing. These cars are not to be tampered with, Lexus made it clear from the beginning.
I bet you get mad a children for being inquisitive don't you.
Old 05-10-14, 11:53 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
another sweet picture
Here are some more of the FULL SIZE photos

Enjoy,

~ Joe Z
Old 05-10-14, 12:44 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Oreo
Race car or not it can still be done! I swapped an ISF motor into my buddies IS250 2 years ago and it runs fine. Anything is possible, its not easy but its possible. Nothing from the IS350 swap matched up but after many hours everything came together. even got all the ECU's to communicate with each other.
...but is that realistic for Lexus IS-F owners to do to make things work? Nope. You really missed my point completely..

Originally Posted by chris6878
I bet you get mad a children for being inquisitive don't you.
Hey if you consider yourself 5 years old then I suppose you have a good reason to be spoon fed information
Old 05-10-14, 03:31 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Here are some more of the FULL SIZE photos

Enjoy,

~ Joe Z
Sweet, thanks guys!
Old 05-11-14, 05:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Yes the 2UR-GSE has all forged internals and titanium intake valves. It's not entirely clear what demons Lexus exorcised with the new engine, but suffice it to say, if it's like any other Toyota, there is almost zero hope of grafting bits from the 2UR-GSE to the RCF's engine and vice versa. Anyone who ever tried to play mix n' match with USDM 2JZ-GTE turbos and JDM 2JZ-GTE turbos will tell you just how far they go to ensure it won't work without creating a new hybrid casting and machining it.

With the advent of 3D printing, this might become more practical. I sincerely hope so. There are certain processes in the engine part manufacturing trade I'd like to see improved by digital printing instead of sand casting or reshaping with the part at high temperature. If you're familiar with how crankshafts are made, you'll know exactly what I'm thinking about, especially if I could "print" a titanium crank.
Old 05-11-14, 07:16 PM
LexFather

Yeah according to Lexus the engine is 80% new.....
Old 05-11-14, 07:48 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Any engine can be tuned for more power with a standalone ECU system. AEM has quite a few and im surprised no one has use any of them yet. Just find a way to control everything else in the car if you want it on the road lol
Old 05-11-14, 08:10 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
Any engine can be tuned for more power with a standalone ECU system. AEM has quite a few and im surprised no one has use any of them yet. Just find a way to control everything else in the car if you want it on the road lol
not a realistic approach unfortunately.
Old 05-11-14, 08:42 PM
G9N
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yes the 2UR-GSE has all forged internals and titanium intake valves. It's not entirely clear what demons Lexus exorcised with the new engine, but suffice it to say, if it's like any other Toyota, there is almost zero hope of grafting bits from the 2UR-GSE to the RCF's engine and vice versa. Anyone who ever tried to play mix n' match with USDM 2JZ-GTE turbos and JDM 2JZ-GTE turbos will tell you just how far they go to ensure it won't work without creating a new hybrid casting and machining it.

With the advent of 3D printing, this might become more practical. I sincerely hope so. There are certain processes in the engine part manufacturing trade I'd like to see improved by digital printing instead of sand casting or reshaping with the part at high temperature. If you're familiar with how crankshafts are made, you'll know exactly what I'm thinking about, especially if I could "print" a titanium crank.
Have you seen the /DRIVE episode for the Koenigsegg One:1 where they 3D print a titanium exhaust shield. 3D printing is really going to shape the way things are made once it becomes more mainstream. They also are using it for their compressor housing to give their turbo's unrivaled spool up due to the factor they aren't limited to a cast tooling process. You should give the video's a watch if you haven't.
Old 05-11-14, 09:30 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Official Product Guide:

470hp / 391tq

Quick Reply: ISF and RCF 5.0 whats the difference