IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-13, 12:52 PM
V8TKY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problem

Hi guys this is my first post, i hope you will be able to help me out.

I have a 2011 Lexus ISF, my car was damaged at the front, which i had to replace all of the radiators etc. the problem i have with the car is, it doesn't drive. so the first thing i did, was send the cars to the dealers, they assumed that the oil in the transmission wasn't installed correctly. So i received a call from the dealers they told me that the oil didn't cure the problem. the symptoms:

the mechanic put oil into the transmission, he found black/burnt oil with bits of the clutches as it didn't drive in D, but did in R. next the car stop driving at all it seemed like if the clutches were slipping.

so i spoke to my dad, he got one of the mechanic to take the transmission out and investigate. the outcome was my clutches were burnt all the way down to the metal plate and also the friction plates were bent. so i ordered the clutches alongside with friction plates, he put the transmission together, we followed the step by step guide to put ATF oil. i was really happy that my F will be ready for the roads, but i guess i was wrong i got into the car put it in R, not much power in R, it seemed like it was slipping and a winding noise. i finally put the car in D, the car moved but then it lost drive train and started to roll back. however, i drove the car around the block (small block) as i was coming back i noticed a smoke coming from the hood, so i stopped i seen a fire coming from the exhaust headers but luckily i got the fire out. no damage to the car.

we all thought the torque converter has leaked but i read somewhere that the transmission is a sealed box. after doing research i found out that it has a breather on top of the box. so i tried the procedure of putting oil in the transmission box again. the outcome was same the car drives but the car didnt go into any higher gears as it only stayed in first gear, manual mode. when i drive the car in D it will loose drive train and then i have to shut the engine off, start up and continue this procedure.

however i have engine management light, with psc light. i have plugged the diagnostic machine, it came up with solenoid A, B, D performance or stuck.

it would be greatful if you guys could help me because i have spent thousands on the car, i just need it on the road

Ateek
Old 12-24-13, 01:35 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Wow, so sad to hear.
It seems that the front collision was quite severe. It sounds like you totaled the car.
Where does you car insurance stand? How come you are spending thousands?
I think you might be better replacing the entire transmission, make sure everything is
properly aligned, especially after a major crash.
Good luck.
Old 12-24-13, 01:41 PM
V8TKY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rossi
Wow, so sad to hear.
It seems that the front collision was quite severe. It sounds like you totaled the car.
Where does you car insurance stand? How come you are spending thousands?
I think you might be better replacing the entire transmission, make sure everything is
properly aligned, especially after a major crash.
Good luck.
I bought the car damaged, but I wasn't aware of the gearbox problem. I didn't want to put a new transmission box due to I can't locate any in the UK. Even though I have replaced clutches still doesn't solve the problem. I was thinking that the solenoid might need to be replaced.
Old 12-24-13, 02:13 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

trans problems are rare so far and your in a 2011, should be under warranty anyway. if your out by milage call corp, they will work something out with you.
Old 12-24-13, 02:14 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by V8TKY
I bought the car damaged, but I wasn't aware of the gearbox problem. I didn't want to put a new transmission box due to I can't locate any in the UK. Even though I have replaced clutches still doesn't solve the problem. I was thinking that the solenoid might need to be replaced.
A frontal impact would have to be quite sever to damage a transmission. A competent technician needs to inspect the vehicle before you do further damage to the transmission. The first thing that needs to happen is you need to find someone with a quality scanner to hook up to the vehicle and read the information contained in the computer. Did your rebuilder flush the transmission and the lines before refilling the transmission? If not he may have reintroduced contaminates into the system, this would explain why your have 4 solenoids stuck. If the transmission was damaged badly enough that it had burnt clutches there is NO WAY I would even consider reusing that torque converter! Hind sight being 20/20 I would have found a used transmission even if it had taken a bit more searching. I sincerely feel that there is an important part of this story missing. What is the mileage on this vehicle? Has it ever driven for you? Did it look as if someone melted the rear tires off of it doing burnouts? If this vehicle has this type of transmission damage something major took place in it.
Old 12-24-13, 02:29 PM
V8TKY
Driver School Candidate

Ming15237 I didn't flush the lines but we did flush the transmission. Although the mechanic did put 6 litres into the torque converter. I took the car to lexus, they didn't find any major codes then I found which was the solenoid. I just dont know what to do, do I take the gearbox apart and investigate or do I replace the solenoids ��
Old 12-24-13, 02:30 PM
V8TKY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by darbs242
trans problems are rare so far and your in a 2011, should be under warranty anyway. if your out by milage call corp, they will work something out with you.
I spoke to lexus, due to the car having an accident they will not replace the gearbox
Old 12-24-13, 08:17 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you completely repaired the car yet? What caused the fire? What kind of accident was the car in? How long did it sit before you purchased it and was anything exposed? Sounds like you re-contaminated the trans. For one but there is a lot more to this story.
Old 12-24-13, 08:36 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Ming15237 I didn't flush the lines but we did flush the transmission. Although the mechanic did put 6 litres into the torque converter. I took the car to lexus, they didn't find any major codes then I found which was the solenoid. I just dont know what to do, do I take the gearbox apart and investigate or do I replace the solenoids ��
It is highly unlikely that 3 solenoids failed at the same time. I could however see them being clogged with debris from the clutches and or from the torque converter. Before I went any further I would remove BOTH transmission cooler lines from the transmission itself and flush the cooler lines catching the fluid that comes out to examine it for debris. If debris is found you now know that you MUST remover and disassemble the complete transmission again and clean it from top to bottom. Any particles can clog the valve body or anyone of the many solenoids present on the transmission causing a multitude of different issues to arise. I for one would be looking for a new transmission rebuilder because flushing the lines is "transmission 101" in the rebuild handbook, not to mention reusing a torque converter from a transmission which had burnt clutches and friction plates is also a big no no! Finding a used trans on eBay is an option, or finding a salvage yard with a vehicle locator is another option. In the US we use a program called car-parts.com to find harder to find items, but doing some research on your area may yield different programs available to you.
Old 12-24-13, 08:37 PM
V8TKY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kauaian
Have you completely repaired the car yet? What caused the fire? What kind of accident was the car in? How long did it sit before you purchased it and was anything exposed? Sounds like you re-contaminated the trans. For one but there is a lot more to this story.
I dont I know how long it was sat before I purchased it but I've had the car for about several of months due to lack of availability for parts. Yes the car is completed, I only have this problem, exposed wise, I would only say the radiators, no engine damage at all. Thats all for the story, I only can presume that at the time of the accident, the was left in gear for such long time that its burnt clutches?
Old 12-24-13, 08:48 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Did you disclose to the dealer that car was in an accident and you purchased damaged? I assume the car has a salvage title. If not, take it to another dealer and see if they will replace it under warranty.

If that does not work I guess you are looking for a replacement trans.

I hope you got an amazing deal on this car!!
Old 12-24-13, 08:48 PM
V8TKY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ming15237
It is highly unlikely that 3 solenoids failed at the same time. I could however see them being clogged with debris from the clutches and or from the torque converter. Before I went any further I would remove BOTH transmission cooler lines from the transmission itself and flush the cooler lines catching the fluid that comes out to examine it for debris. If debris is found you now know that you MUST remover and disassemble the complete transmission again and clean it from top to bottom. Any particles can clog the valve body or anyone of the many solenoids present on the transmission causing a multitude of different issues to arise. I for one would be looking for a new transmission rebuilder because flushing the lines is "transmission 101" in the rebuild handbook, not to mention reusing a torque converter from a transmission which had burnt clutches and friction plates is also a big no no! Finding a used trans on eBay is an option, or finding a salvage yard with a vehicle locator is another option. In the US we use a program called car-parts.com to find harder to find items, but doing some research on your area may yield different programs available to you.
I'll definitely go down this route as I have a bit more knowledge from yourselves, I think I went wrong by installing the used torque converter. Because I have used the same torque converter, and not flushed the lines could this cause the car not reverse in the reverse gear and not to pick up speed or change gear in Drive. Or even lose drive train I.e. roll back?
Old 12-24-13, 08:52 PM
V8TKY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kauaian
Did you disclose to the dealer that car was in an accident and you purchased damaged? I assume the car has a salvage title. If not, take it to another dealer and see if they will replace it under warranty.

If that does not work I guess you are looking for a replacement trans.

I hope you got an amazing deal on this car!!
When you give your registration to the dealers it comes up with a title, which shows it was involved in a accident. So they decline any warranty, Yes I got the car cheap, but I've spent the same amount on parts 😭
Old 12-25-13, 12:44 PM
V8TKY
Driver School Candidate

does anyone know if the transmission in the ls460 is same as the isf? I've just found a gearbox thats all.
Old 12-25-13, 04:33 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

does anyone know if the transmission in the ls460 is same as the isf? I've just found a gearbox thats all.
nope. not even close

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem