IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Oil change - synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-14, 05:07 PM
soupyb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change - synthetic oil

I just called up my nearest Lexus dealership, wanting an oil change with synthetic oil and was told "it is not recommended for this vehicle". Wtf?? Is this normal?!
Old 03-06-14, 05:23 PM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Ppl say is not necessary...I would guess it comes to owners choice
Old 03-06-14, 07:11 PM
soupyb
Driver School Candidate

This particular dealership said they refuse to do it. I found that odd.
Old 03-06-14, 08:43 PM
9aristo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

synthetic oil is known to cause the is-f to enter a state similar to another is-f with dino oil. If you do a search, it might also cause other side effects, such as lack of performance increase.
Old 03-07-14, 12:20 AM
PIONEER
Driver

Originally Posted by 9aristo
synthetic oil is known to cause the is-f to enter a state similar to another is-f with dino oil. If you do a search, it might also cause other side effects, such as lack of performance increase.
are you saying the lower viscosity leads to a drop in oil pressure?
Old 03-07-14, 04:24 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 9aristo
I cannot find a reference to this claim, if you have one please link it.

What I do find is the oil that probably is best for the F - Mobil One Racing OW50 - is fully synthetic
Old 03-07-14, 05:29 AM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

I remember joeZ claiming that the F does not need synthetic oil per one of the main lexus engineers who build the motor. Although using synthetic shouldn't hurt either, as I stated above it comes to owner preference.
Old 03-07-14, 05:54 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTSISF
I remember joeZ claiming that the F does not need synthetic oil per one of the main lexus engineers who build the motor. Although using synthetic shouldn't hurt either, as I stated above it comes to owner preference.
So if what JoeZ said is accurate, is it then safe to say that it really doesn't matter what oil we use in the ISF?
Old 03-07-14, 05:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

synthetic has about double the life of dino and has achieves lubrication faster at start up

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-103/

Synthetic oils are derived in the laboratory. They are pure, usually nearly clear. I describe mineral based motor oils as a distilled, concentrated product. The impurities need to be removed from the raw petroleum. These oils are therefore less clean and contain many impurities. Again, the problem is really more of theory than practice but the difference does exist.

People repeatedly say that synthetic oils are more stable in a hot engine. I hear that they lubricate better. The answer is yes and no. Oil molecules do not break down, just the additives. Generally, the synthetic oils do not have VI improvers so have less to lose.

There are some properties of synthetic oils that actually result is less wear than with mineral oils. These help increase your gas mileage as well. Due to a reduction of internal friction of the synthetic oil your engine will run a bit cooler. Wear increases as temperature increases, all other things being constant.

A main advantage that the synthetic has over the mineral based oil is the ability to lubricate at startup. Both types of oil have the same specifications at 104°F, 212°F and 302°F. It is the startup viscosity characteristics that separate these oils. Synthetic oils do not thicken as much on cooling. They have better fluidity as the temperature drops.

A synthetic oil that is labeled as 10W-30 is less honey like as a mineral based 10W-30 motor oil at startup. They both have a thickness of 10 at normal operating temperatures. At 75°F the synthetic is not as thick. At 32°F the difference between the two is even greater. At 0°F the mineral oil is useless yet the synthetic works fairly well. Just keep the RPM to a minimum.

At temperatures below zero you will not be able to start your car with mineral oils while the synthetic oils may be used to -40° or -50°F. Oils are so thick that the normal method of viscosity measurement is not possible. Instead we measure if the oil can even be pumped or poured. Again, we are only discussing a single category of oil, the multi-grade 10W-30 API / SAE grade.
Old 03-07-14, 06:24 AM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by melbitoast
So if what JoeZ said is accurate, is it then safe to say that it really doesn't matter what oil we use in the ISF?
I use synthetic with no issues...
Old 03-07-14, 07:03 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTSISF
I use synthetic with no issues...
It's not about having issues with synthetic. The question is: is synthetic oil better to use in the ISF that typical motor oil? Are there distinct advantages to using synthetic over regular (i.e. better mpg, longer lasting, etc.)?
Old 03-07-14, 07:35 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by melbitoast
The question is: is synthetic oil better to use in the ISF that typical motor oil? Are there distinct advantages to using synthetic over regular (i.e. better mpg, longer lasting, etc.)?
As someone said above, it comes down to personal preference. I more recently finished a UOA on my F at around 45k +/- miles, using the oil supplied by the dealer thanks to free maintenance, and the results came back perfect, with a recommendation to extend intervals (as I switched brands).

In the previous IS350 and so far with the F, a synthetic like Amsoil hasn't been responsible for really changing anything (much that I'd notice, anyway), as my MPG has largely remained the same. Historically, I've only really noticed changes from right-foot behavior or a change in seasons, where I'll gain/lose a digit or two.

And according to the lab, the oil won't dramatically affect engine life, either. Much of that comes from other contributing factors, and unless you're being careless and actively doing things to hurt the motor, it should last about as long as the next, give or take.

That's just my experience, so far.
Old 03-07-14, 10:30 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm not running synthetic and I haven't had any issues (105k miles)... i daily drive my F sitting in stop in go traffic M-F... I just stay ontop of my oil changes at 5k miles.
Old 03-07-14, 10:41 AM
9aristo
Pole Position

inb4 another thread about brake fluid or differential fluid.
Old 03-07-14, 12:38 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Its funny you say the dealer doesn't recommend synthetic because I went to lexus of cerritos. And they said you need synthetic on the 2012 they end up being able to get my car on the ramp and I just chased myself with mobile 1 synthetic they were going to use Pennzoil synthetic

Quick Reply: Oil change - synthetic oil