IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Front Brake change: New Shim kit? New Hardware Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 06:35 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

When I did mine, back when I started the thread, I bought shims. All it does is save you time. The old ones were in fine condition, could have been cleaned, re-greased and reused with no problem. I took the easy route and just put on new ones. Next time I probably won't. I can not imagine a reason to use an exotic material like titanium for a shim. If you want to reduce weight, just leave the shims out, they only reduce noise, nothing for performance. Also the spring and pin were fine for reuse. I was in California and so no harsh winters or road salts so everything was in fine condition.
Old 08-23-17, 08:57 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

yeah I did brand new rotors and pads about 2 months ago and I reused the factory hardware and everything is fine
Old 08-23-17, 09:19 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

When I did the fronts I left the OEM shims out. Just straight pads and grease. No issues here. I did save the shims just in case though.
Old 08-24-17, 05:10 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I can not imagine a reason to use an exotic material like titanium for a shim. If you want to reduce weight, just leave the shims out, they only reduce noise, nothing for performance.
For the track, I use titanium shims on the front to help mitigate heat transfer from the pads to the calipers/fluid. I get my pads pretty hot, so I figure every little bit helps. Other than that, I see no other benefit. The weight difference is so miniscule, it's irrelevant. For street use, they're a waste of money.

-Mike
Old 08-24-17, 08:44 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Resurrecting this old thread from the dead:

I picked this one out of about 3-4 threads on shims/brake hardware that had the most responses......

I'm getting ready to do my brake job (new rotors front and rear along with new front pads) this weekend and just realized that I didn't buy any shims?

What are some opinions of members here when doing their brakes? Did you reuse the old shims or buy new ones? I've replaced the pads once on the ISF since I've owned the car about 2 years ago and at the time I reused the old shims without re-greasing them. I was thinking about buying the titanium shims from RR-Racing, or just getting the OEM shims from the dealership?

Opinions....
I've done many brake jobs on the ISF already and never had an issue, besides the excessive wear on the pads due to my way of driving so now testing a new compound, here is what I usually do:
1) Pins, I just get them cleaned with brake cleaner and them wipe them
2) Same with the tension back plate and the middle screw
3) I clean the whole rottor(new) and calipers with brake cleaner and wipe off old brake silicone based grease from the pistons

4) Shims I've been reusing and rarely buy a new set and I believe I have RR Racing Titanium ones, I try to get them spot cleaned so they look like new, I should have taken a picture.
5) I use silicone based brake grease and apply it on the shim side that touches the pistons

I've done this probably 10 times already on the ISF and never had an issue, and my ISF sees track time more often than casual drives or DD.

Also while you're at it, I always try and bleed out brake fluid that's in the calipers, usually do 5 full pumps per side and below is a comparison of how it usually looks like new vs heavy track use.
Old 08-24-17, 10:15 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Thanks for the write up and suggestions will probably just reuse the shims and clean everything up!

Thx guys
Old 08-24-17, 12:57 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I've seen a couple of memebers post that they put grease between the caliper pistons and pad. It was my uderstanding that it should only be placed between the shim and pad, NOT between the pistons and pads?
Old 08-24-17, 03:57 PM
5280ISF
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I re-used my original shims/pins hardware etc. on my recent brake service. I believe my brakes were still all the OEM original pieces/hardware. There was no evidence of any prior brake anti-sieze lube between the piston and shim. Piston seals were in great shape and weren't cooked or eroded yet...like some of the frequent track guys see.

I used Molyslip/Copaslip copper anti-sieze lube. I applied it between the new pad and inner shim face on the front Brembos. I did not install any shims on the new rear Wilwood calipers, no anti-sieze either. For the brake pin lube, I used Sil-Glyde. Will see if they remain quiet....so far so good.