IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF - Driver seat - SKIN replacement LEATHER

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 11:42 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts
Default ISF - Driver seat - SKIN replacement LEATHER

I was detailing my car today, noticing some major wear on my driver seat.
The bolster closer to the door is turning blue. Is seems to be riping.
I am sure, it is from getting in and out of car.

I am sure there is many of you othere, some with high mileage cars. I am wondering if anyone addressed this issue before. I have 2010, therefore need black leather.

Is there a replacement skin for our car?
If yes, can you get only the driver seat skin?
Cost?
Reference link are always appritiated

Thank you!
Old 01-22-14, 12:20 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I broke 70,000 a few months back and noticed my drivers side booster is starting to show some wear as well. However, I am not witnessing any fading.

Do you have perforated leather or alcantra? If it's perforated the actual perforations are blue. I would imagine this will be hard to match. Everything else should not be that hard. Maybe you could get a custom set made and get the headrests embossed with the "F" logo?!

I know a bunch of people on supra forums went with leather seats dot com. Based on the posts it looked like they were all please with fitment and quality. They also offer fully customizable leathers but of course the ISF is not listed as an option on their website. I tried a cheaper Chinese manufacture (on my supra) from the big electronic auction site and the leather was great quality but fitness with eh. It's pretty easy to install but time consuming.

Try calling Sewell and see if purchasing leathers are also an option.
Old 01-22-14, 01:07 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is something to also think about with Alpine Interior... i am having the same issue with my front driver side. The dealer i go too says they can replace the skin if need be... but never got a quote on pricing. They also have someone (3rd party) that goes and does their leather repairs for customers. I have personally seen the work and its flawless.
Old 01-22-14, 01:30 PM
Maxxam
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2012 has 5k miles on it and the leather (or maybe it is vinyl) side bolster on the driver side seat has small areas where to top portion of the material is missing. Almost like it peeled off.

The service writer at the dealer said kit is "normal wear and he has seen it before". He says blue jeans are hard on the seat material (i'm assuming he meant on other other Lexus models as well and not specifically on the F). After I stopped laughing I told him straight in the face that is a BS response.

I wear dress slacks or jogging shorts way more than jeans. Also, my Acura TL-S with 70k miles had ZERO issues with material missing due to 'wear'. Same with my Z06 Corvette. And those were both cheaper quality leather interiors compared to what a Lexus is supposed to be. Gee, lets take a look at some Benzes or Beemers with 5,000 miles on their seats.
Worn material due to constant abrasion over 70k+ miles is a lot different than my senario.

He then states that Lexus will replace it one time only. The fact that he stated he has seen it before is not a good sign as i'm sure it will happen again. I am going to wait until very close to the warranty period is over and then have the skin replaced.

Not happy with the cost-cutting done in the interior in general. It is a LEXUS. The grade of the interior materials should MEET or EXCEED that of other luxury brands including Audi, M-B & BMW.

Last edited by Maxxam; 01-22-14 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 02:21 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The seat quality is just terrible in these cars. My 08 I had with black interior was in great shape when I bought it but I wear jeans almost all the time and after 20k miles of driving it my driver's seat just looked terrible. My current 11 F has alpine interior and I have to be extremely careful getting in and out to not scratch up the seat. So far it is in great shape but only cause I am so careful with it.
Old 01-22-14, 02:39 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another member on this forum that had a literal tear in his seat cushion (bottom) looked into replacing it. You can get a new bottom seat cushion from sewell for around 700 bucks. other than that he came up with very little options as the perforated leather is actually a dark blue with blue details that was impossible to match from other suppliers.
Old 01-22-14, 03:05 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like the leather composition is just to soft. I am sure Lexus did not cheap out on the leather. Well, I would like to think so any way. I love the alpine white interior but I don't think I could keep it clean.
Old 01-23-14, 10:02 PM
Maxxam
Rookie

Originally Posted by kauaian
Sounds like the leather composition is just to soft. I am sure Lexus did not cheap out on the leather. Well, I would like to think so any way. I love the alpine white interior but I don't think I could keep it clean.
I'm pretty sure the side panels (on either side of the alcantra) are vinyl or imitation leather. Want to see some serious leather? Look in a late model S-class benz.

I like my F a lot, but for the money Lexus needs to up the ante in a few areas.
Old 01-24-14, 12:47 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

The leather quality on the IS-F is terrible, there is definately a problem.
On my 08, Y had the seat back cover replaced under warranty at 10k miles and on my 10 the seat cushion cover has been replaced under warranty by the previous owner, he did not get the seat back cover replaced at the same time and it was already ripping when I bought it. The back cost over $2k and the cushion just under $2k so to change all expect close to $4K ....
Old 01-24-14, 03:55 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yemgi
The leather quality on the IS-F is terrible, there is definately a problem.
On my 08, Y had the seat back cover replaced under warranty at 10k miles and on my 10 the seat cushion cover has been replaced under warranty by the previous owner, he did not get the seat back cover replaced at the same time and it was already ripping when I bought it. The back cost over $2k and the cushion just under $2k so to change all expect close to $4K ....
I am curious as to what caused the damage? That is an insane price for replacements! It sounds like they don't sell just the leather but it is already installed over a cushion.

I have 2 children's chairs on my rear seat and have not had any incidents...yet. I do cover the leather with a towel to protect it. I also purchased an 250/350 lower cushion when I had the infant chair back there. Definetly worth the couple hundred dollars IMO.
Old 01-24-14, 12:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

It's about $860 for the bottom replacement piece and $800 for the top replacement piece. You'll want to be sure to have hog ring pliers for the install, it makes it a lot easier. Sewell may have lower prices, but they don't list anything for the seat cover part numbers. Not sure why.

Cheapest prices I've seen on the 'net are $824 and $758.30, so it's still about $1600 for parts. Install isn't exactly quick so add about $400 for the install by a competent tech.

My seats are also worn on the bolster. They look similar to my Supra's wear pattern, but the Supra took a lot longer to get there.

Too bad the market is so small, or a sharp interior shop could make recovers for us at affordable prices with likely better leather.
Old 01-31-14, 07:30 AM
ricky350is
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Just took my car in because of this. The black color on the drivers seat is discolored and coming off. I hope they dont try to play mind games with me.
Old 01-31-14, 08:46 AM
phm14
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leather on the drivers outsider seat bottom bolster is showing fade/creasing in my 2011 with 28K miles. My guess is the extended CPO warranty will exclude this as a "wear item", so we will have a look at it on my 1st trip to Northside Lexus in Houston.
Old 01-31-14, 10:39 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

2012, 6300 miles and my drivers side is showing the same wear. Outside of the drivers side seat, closest to the door.

Alpine white interior.
Old 01-31-14, 12:00 PM
vietzboi87
Driver

My passenger side is seat is turning blue in the creases as well and mine is an 08 with 40k miles.

Quick Reply: ISF - Driver seat - SKIN replacement LEATHER