IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Pathetic conversation with Lexus sales yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 01:13 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pathetic conversation with Lexus sales yesterday...

Went in for an oil change yesterday and had a fantastic conversation with one of the sales guys...

Me: Do you guys have any IS-F's in stock? Either a 13 or 14?
Sales: Sure we do, we have quite a few actually. Were you looking for the 250 or 350?
Me: No, not the F-Sport IS, the IS-F.
Sales: ...Right, but the car is offered in a 250 and 350. The difference is (and I cut him off here).
Me: I know what the difference is between the two; but again, I'm not talking about the F-SPORT IS, I'm asking you if you have any IS-F's.
Sales: I think you're mistaken sir, that isn't getting released until 2015, but it will still have this body style tho (pointing to a picture of the new F-Sport).

Now at this point I was really starting to get annoyed mainly because this guy was talking to me like I had no idea what the hell I was talking about.

Me: No it won't look like that and no it won't be coming out in 2015 because it is no longer being produced.
Sales: Let me go ask my manager. Comes back.... Yeah, 2015 is going to be the first year for the IS-F.

So not only does this dumbass salesman not know anything, but neither does the "manager".

Me: Really? Because I own a 2008, and it's in your service area right now. Then I take out my phone and show him a picture of the new F.

The salesman just stares at me with a blank face. I tell him it's pathetic that a "Certified Lexus Sales Consultant" has no idea of a car's existence and he should probably learn about the brand he is selling. Plus the fact that you can't even sell one of the most expensive cars Lexus has because you don't even know it exists.

Such a joke.
Old 01-12-14, 01:46 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar conversation about a year ago. Was so annoyed I just left. Quite sad but unfortunately pretty common.
Old 01-12-14, 04:36 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He never sold an F. I will state the obvious: folks think twice before spending around $70k for an F. No matter how great the RCF is in its own right--and the ISF earned its reputation--they will not be selling like hot cakes.

I expect the "beast" with the V8 will be north of $70k.

Again, he never sold an F--and with that level of knowledge never will.
Old 01-12-14, 04:40 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Similar to my posting in this thread. Seems these sales personnel's working in dealers need to take some classes and learn about each car. How can you sell a car you dont know nothing about

When i bought the F (pre-owned ) from a BMW dealer the guys didnt know nothing about it. I felt like i was the sales guy lol. I told them everything they needed to know about the car. I even got 7k off the price lol.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-the-isf.html
Old 01-12-14, 09:57 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

Spread the the good "F" Gospel..
Old 01-13-14, 09:21 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I bet he could tell you everything about an ES. It is this that gives me pause about the RC-F...only enthusiasts will know about it, and only hard core Lexus enthusiasts will buy them.
Old 01-13-14, 10:15 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Talking IS F knowledge

I have some observations and experience (a little anyway) with the IS F.

Let me say:

1. I first noticed and read about the IS F in 2009. I was immediately taken by the looks and mechanics. I already owned a Lexus and knew they did not break. I wanted an F.
2. In 2010 I visited a Lexus dealer in Palm Desert, CA. He looked at my wife and told her he'd sold one six months earlier to a guy who was dead in a week. He said he'd been a racer and the car was "too fast". Suggested we get something else.
3. I visited the Lexus dealer in Portland, OR, near our home, in 2012. Because I hadn't been able to find a used one, I thought I may as well step up and buy new. I drove my old (89 Ford 4X4) and parked up front. The two they had were the wrong colors. They refused to look for a better color and I was only allowed to sit in the car for a moment. My wife is quite attractive. She was able to sit in the front seat.
4. Six months later they still had the same two cars. I brought my wife again. They almost laughed when I told them we'd stopped after we'd been at the Goodwill store.
5. In July 2013, I finally pulled the trigger on a 2011 SFP in Frederick, MD, at a Toyota dealer. Car was NEW. Wrote a check and had the car shipped to the west coast. (By the way, great people)
6. No one knows what an IS F is. None of my friends in the car business have ever heard of it. They think it is a rebadged IS 250.
7. Most believe the F Sport and IS F are the same car and may be why insurance is cheap. That is good. I really love "sleepers" and will not alter the cars appearance.
8. Before I retired, I used to "jerk bad peoples chains" for a living. I will not forget my experiences with Lexus.

Old 01-13-14, 11:18 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess I've been lucky with the dealer experiences regarding the IS F. Interacting with four local dealers, most staff I've spoken to are aware of the IS F and know they are rare (if what my dealer said is true, they maybe sold a handful in 2013).

Unfortunately, this also means it's just as difficult to view and try the newer revisions in person.
Old 01-13-14, 12:36 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I bet he could tell you everything about an ES. It is this that gives me pause about the RC-F...only enthusiasts will know about it, and only hard core Lexus enthusiasts will buy them.
Yep, I agree. The ISF was a niche car for all 7 years of production, and I still get car enthusiasts who know nothing about this car. Just this weekend I was walking out to my car after lunch and a guy who may have been in his late 20s asked me about it. It was obvious that he knew cars during our 10 minute chat, but he knew nothing about the ISF other than that it was supposedly fast. He even said to me "Lexus means luxury" further reiterating that even among the enthusiast set there are many people who don't understand this car. I think I can count on one hand the number of people who have approached me about my car and actually knew something about it. I would venture a guess that well over 75% of the self-titled car enthusiasts out there know all about the M3 however.

The "F" brand has a long way to go if it is going to attract new people to the fold, because if a 4-door sports/luxury sedan had a small following, I would expect the RCF to cater to an even smaller niche.

Originally Posted by lorenr
I have some observations and experience (a little anyway) with the IS F.

Let me say:

1. I first noticed and read about the IS F in 2009. I was immediately taken by the looks and mechanics. I already owned a Lexus and knew they did not break. I wanted an F.
2. In 2010 I visited a Lexus dealer in Palm Desert, CA. He looked at my wife and told her he'd sold one six months earlier to a guy who was dead in a week. He said he'd been a racer and the car was "too fast". Suggested we get something else.
3. I visited the Lexus dealer in Portland, OR, near our home, in 2012. Because I hadn't been able to find a used one, I thought I may as well step up and buy new. I drove my old (89 Ford 4X4) and parked up front. The two they had were the wrong colors. They refused to look for a better color and I was only allowed to sit in the car for a moment. My wife is quite attractive. She was able to sit in the front seat.
4. Six months later they still had the same two cars. I brought my wife again. They almost laughed when I told them we'd stopped after we'd been at the Goodwill store.
5. In July 2013, I finally pulled the trigger on a 2011 SFP in Frederick, MD, at a Toyota dealer. Car was NEW. Wrote a check and had the car shipped to the west coast. (By the way, great people)
6. No one knows what an IS F is. None of my friends in the car business have ever heard of it. They think it is a rebadged IS 250.
7. Most believe the F Sport and IS F are the same car and may be why insurance is cheap. That is good. I really love "sleepers" and will not alter the cars appearance.
8. Before I retired, I used to "jerk bad peoples chains" for a living. I will not forget my experiences with Lexus.

So I read from all of that that most Lexus salesmen are ignorant, you have a hot wife and you have the financial health to plop down $60K in cash for a car. Sounds good to me!
Old 01-13-14, 02:41 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up Love the car

I should set things straight.

"So I read from all of that that most Lexus salesmen are ignorant, you have a hot wife and you have the financial health to plop down $60K in cash for a car. Sounds good to me!"

Part my cash, but mostly the banks cash that they trusted me with.

My wife normally gets the nice cars. My old car was a 1989 Ford SHO, that I bought in 1990. I put a larger 3.2 liter Yamaha motor in it. Because the 89's weighed just less than 3000 lbs, the car was very fast, just not as fast as the IS F. Loved that old car and it was a true sleeper.

F is also in another world technically.

Old 01-13-14, 02:58 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by lorenr
I should set things straight.

"So I read from all of that that most Lexus salesmen are ignorant, you have a hot wife and you have the financial health to plop down $60K in cash for a car. Sounds good to me!"

Part my cash, but mostly the banks cash that they trusted me with.

My wife normally gets the nice cars. My old car was a 1989 Ford SHO, that I bought in 1990. I put a larger 3.2 liter Yamaha motor in it. Because the 89's weighed just less than 3000 lbs, the car was very fast, just not as fast as the IS F. Loved that old car and it was a true sleeper.

F is also in another world technically.

I was just giving you a hard time man! You didn't need to clarify... nothing you said came off poorly. I'm lucky, because while my wife might be the one to get the newer car (we usually lease hers because she changes every 2-3 years), she's fully supportive of me getting the "cooler" car, and at least pretends to care and typically agrees when I tell her I have to spend more because this car is better than that car (me getting the ISF vs. the IS350 for example).
Old 01-13-14, 04:00 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Reminds me when I had debadged my B5 S4. Everyone thought it was an A4 until they got a ride in it. How can people not know anything about the IS-F wth the hideous exhaust tips? At the time, I still remember reading the reviews and comparisons with the M3. Didn't really care for Lexus. Fast forward to late last year. As the years passed, the IS-F grew on me (love the tips now) and was looking for a used one. Then I picked up a 2014 IS350 F sport, my first Lexus. While I love the car, I hope they make an IS-F version which I will gladly trade the IS350 for. I don't like the coupe.
Old 01-13-14, 04:23 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What's even more lame is people who think they have an isf lol
Everyone and their moms that have a 3rd gen is f sport calls it an isf
Old 01-13-14, 04:44 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thekhmer
What's even more lame is people who think they have an isf lol
Everyone and their moms that have a 3rd gen is f sport calls it an isf
So true!

But there are always people that de-badge their car and get bigger/wider rims and tires and wear a shirt that says 'M/AMG/RS4/etc' and assume everybody thinks (or cares) they have the performance version...and they do this intentionally. We've all seen them...you can just tell. These people are truly pathetic...
Old 01-13-14, 06:16 PM
Mydogbella
Pole Position

They really don't train sales people the right way. There are no tests involved or anything like that.

Most...not all sales people are only in it for a paycheck they don't care about learning about what they are selling.

Quick Reply: Pathetic conversation with Lexus sales yesterday...