IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF Clear BRA. Which parts to cover?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 11:56 AM
kdm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISF Clear BRA. Which parts to cover?

For those who have clear bra installed, which parts did you get your F covered? I was thinking of doing the bumper only (since that's pretty much the only part of the car that has rock chips).

And from what I've heard, CB is pretty expensive. How much should I be looking to pay for bumper only? I'd like to hear your opinions before I start researching for shops.

Thank you
Old 01-12-14, 12:05 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't just do the bumper, you will regret it. Do all the parts that road debris will hit! It's the only protection for your car while you are on the go! I did the bumper, full hood, fenders, the backs of the mirrors, fog lights, headlights. Get it done before you get any rock chips!!! I regret not doing the top lip of the rear bumper, it has two scratches now from me always loading and unloading my gear. That's another location you may want to consider.
Old 01-12-14, 01:24 PM
H60Driver
Driver

Also behind each door handle. Very important!!
Old 01-12-14, 03:10 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I just did front bumper and about a third of the way up the hood. I have a couple random chips higher than the edge of my clear bra, but nothing bad. The only con I would mention is the fact that the clear bra scratches much easier than the paint, so you have to be very careful washing it or you'll get swirls. Ask me how I know. And I have the expensive 3M stuff too. Still, it's way better than damaged paint, especially for a black car.
Old 01-12-14, 03:23 PM
KaShiDC
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
Don't just do the bumper, you will regret it. Do all the parts that road debris will hit! It's the only protection for your car while you are on the go! I did the bumper, full hood, fenders, the backs of the mirrors, fog lights, headlights. Get it done before you get any rock chips!!! I regret not doing the top lip of the rear bumper, it has two scratches now from me always loading and unloading my gear. That's another location you may want to consider.
Exactly! Do not try to save money with the partial hood, chips can and will happen on all sections of the hood.
Old 01-12-14, 05:49 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

My car came with the clear bra kit on it from lexus.

It covered the bumper, front of the hood, front of fenders, and mirrors and door guards.

I removed the mirrors, bumper and door guards, to me they look unsightly.

The bumper, after driving 90+ mph on the highway everyday was all pock marked up from small rocks.

it is necessary for the hood and fenders as the way the hood it shaped, it will catch every rock possible.
Old 01-12-14, 06:33 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by H60Driver
Also behind each door handle. Very important!!
+1 for the door handle guards, I have mine done too but forgot to mention it.
Old 01-12-14, 08:46 PM
shahir18
Instructor

I got my whole hood, bumper, full fenders, headlamps, fog lamps, rocker panels (side skirt), door cups (inside door handles), door edges, and side mirrors with Premium Shield Elite
Old 01-12-14, 09:43 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I had my IS250 done with 3M ventureshield by "valley clear bra" out of northridge. I did the bikini bra which is the whole front bumper, headlights, fog lights, half hood half fenders mirror caps, and all four door handle buckets for $650.00. He even comes to you so you don't have to go to him. I have not experienced the swirl mark as one person mentioned, at least I haven't noticed them, but then again my car is silver and not black. Over all in the past 2 and a half years it still looks great and the best investment I've done. A full bra will cost you upwards of a grand or more. I've heard and seen some people's clear bras yellow and literally look like crap but haven't seen any sign of that on mine. The film also cones with a 5 year warranty against that stuff.
Old 01-13-14, 03:23 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the Clear Bra pretty much everywhere:

Front Bumper,
Front Lights,
Side mirrors,
Half of the front hood,
Wheel arches,
Bottom side skirts
Full rear bumper
a small portion of the front roof.
Old 01-13-14, 04:49 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a minimum you should at least do the leading 18" of the hood/fenders, full bumper, lights, (the film prevents oxidation), mirrors, door cups, and the top of the rear bumper. Go with a good film such as Suntek or Xpel Ultimate. Both are self healing and are very smooth... so they are the last noticeable of the films out there. The self healing aspect is the best quality of the film though, light scratches, swirl marks, and bug etchings heal themselves when the car is parked in the sun or heat is applied.
Old 01-13-14, 06:43 AM
ObsidianF
Driver School Candidate

I have an Obsidian F and had full hood, full fenders, full front bumper, side view mirrors, fog lights, headlights. All film rolled around body and bumper edges. These areas (edges) become especially visible on a black car as wax and dirt can potentially highlight the cut-off areas so having them roll around the edge is aesthetically desirable. I too failed to cover the rear bumper trunk area and have quite a few marks from loading/unloading articles.

Had it on vehicle since 2008. No issues thus far. Work was completed by Premier Protective Films in Fremont, CA. Pricey but good work.
Old 01-14-14, 10:02 PM
allst4risf
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

full hood full fenders. fog lights and headlights. side mirrors and inside the front door handle this is a must i have so many scratches within the first year.
Old 02-17-14, 07:48 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Anyone have recommended clear bra products/installers in Northern Virginia? Thanks.

-Mike
Old 02-20-14, 01:20 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I did the full hood, partial fenders, headlights, dog lights, side mirrors. Cost was around $1600, very durable material, but does require to apply a special sealant to keep it in good shape.

I also don't recommend taking the car to the car wash, but that's just me.

Quick Reply: ISF Clear BRA. Which parts to cover?