IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

HELP! Car won't start.. need feedback ASAP!

Old 11-13-13, 08:23 PM
revolut1on
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Video showing Steve Meade changing out the alternator:

Old 11-15-13, 11:53 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys.. some of you ARE right and it was the starter.. Lexus is trying to find out why it went out so early. It'll cost $2,500 to replace due to the location of the unit and the labor involved. I'm trying to see if Lexus can help foot the bill on this one although I do have my doubts.

In the future this is an expensive maintenance item for all of us and something we all should keep in mind if you're planning to hold onto this vehicle for a long time.
Old 11-15-13, 11:54 AM
HellaInc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Thanks for the advice guys.. some of you ARE right and it was the starter.. Lexus is trying to find out why it went out so early. It'll cost $2,500 to replace due to the location of the unit and the labor involved. I'm trying to see if Lexus can help foot the bill on this one although I do have my doubts.

In the future this is an expensive maintenance item for all of us and something we all should keep in mind if you're planning to hold onto this vehicle for a long time.
You're not under warranty anymore ?
Old 11-15-13, 11:56 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HellaInc
You're not under warranty anymore ?
Nope.. 2008 71k miles
Old 11-15-13, 12:01 PM
HellaInc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope.. 2008 71k miles
Yeah what service dept are you going to. Wow that sucks dude, that is too early for something to go out on a car like ours, reliability was one of the main reasons why I hopped into a lexus at least. They should def cover half out give you a discount !
Old 11-15-13, 12:07 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

$2500 is insane! Find one on the secondary market if you can (off a wrecked car) and have an independent install it.
Old 11-15-13, 12:38 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HellaInc
Yeah what service dept are you going to. Wow that sucks dude, that is too early for something to go out on a car like ours, reliability was one of the main reasons why I hopped into a lexus at least. They should def cover half out give you a discount !
Lexus Westminster.

I know, hopefully they do help cover it

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
$2500 is insane! Find one on the secondary market if you can (off a wrecked car) and have an independent install it.
It would be very difficult to find a wrecked car, nonetheless the job is labor intensive (most likely first time for many mechanics diving into an IS-F for a starter change) so I would rather have Lexus tech's do it.
Old 11-15-13, 04:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Are they replacing the whole starter, or just the failed piece? That's a big price difference right out of the gate. The labor for this is obscene. Sure they have to drop one of the exhaust manifolds (if they do it by the book), but there's no way this is a $2000 labor job. Looks like two hours tops with the right tools and that's working slowly and carefully.

It is disappointing this happened at such a low mileage. Given the number of cars over 100k miles just on this forum, I'd say this isn't going to be common. It's also pretty likely a little time with a fine file and some red Scotchbrite pad would solve this without spending anything for parts. The contacts typically last at least 120k miles of average use. If you make only short trips, the service life will be fewer miles because mileage really has nothing to do with it. Switches are rated by number of cycles and current capacity, not time or mileage.

FWIW, I did a starter on a GS400 and that was a serious PITA. The intake manifold had to come off to get to it. It could not have been more buried.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-15-13 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-15-13, 04:22 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Are they replacing the whole starter, or just the failed piece? That's a big price difference right out of the gate. The labor for this is obscene. Sure they have to drop one of the exhaust manifolds (if they do it by the book), but there's no way this is a $2000 labor job. Looks like two hours tops with the right tools and that's working slowly and carefully.

It is disappointing this happened at such a low mileage. Given the number of cars over 100k miles just on this forum, I'd say this isn't going to be common. It's also pretty likely a little time with a fine file and some red Scotchbrite pad would solve this without spending anything for parts. The contacts typically last at least 120k miles of average use. If you make only short trips, the service life will be fewer miles because mileage really has nothing to do with it. Switches are rated by number of cycles and current capacity, not time or mileage.

FWIW, I did a starter on a GS400 and that was a serious PITA. The intake manifold had to come off to get to it. It could not have been more buried.
According to the service advisor, this is a 9-10 hour job due to dropping the exhaust manifold. I wish you lived closer, I'd happily pay you a 10th of the cost to fix it for me lol.

They are replacing the whole starter unfortunately.
Old 11-15-13, 04:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Are they buying the parts or are you? I'm really curious if the contacts and plunger set from the Supra would fit this unit and make this a super cheap repair from a parts cost perspective.

If I didn't have a life, I'd probably be under my car right now figuring out how to get the starter out and back in under an hour. I'd bet a lot there's a way to do it quickly if you ignore the book's process.

FWIW, I did a few clutch & flywheel replacements on Scion tCs some years back. The book tells you to drop the engine cradle. After doing two of them, it was a three hour job and only needed an engine support bar - I never ever considered dropping the engine cradle, what a nightmare!
Old 11-15-13, 04:37 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Are they buying the parts or are you? I'm really curious if the contacts and plunger set from the Supra would fit this unit and make this a super cheap repair from a parts cost perspective.

If I didn't have a life, I'd probably be under my car right now figuring out how to get the starter out and back in under an hour. I'd bet a lot there's a way to do it quickly if you ignore the book's process.

FWIW, I did a few clutch & flywheel replacements on Scion tCs some years back. The book tells you to drop the engine cradle. After doing two of them, it was a three hour job and only needed an engine support bar - I never ever considered dropping the engine cradle, what a nightmare!
The dealership does not allow for owners to buy their own parts because of the (chance) that it may not work after install. To hold the dealership liable for the full fix of the vehicle they need to buy the unit themselves.

Once the old one is out (if it is not goodwilled) I can request to keep the old starter and send it to you for analysis.. I would love to help others find a cheaper solution than having to worry about a "possible" $2,000 fix from the dealership in the future.
Old 11-15-13, 09:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I didn't mean buy the parts outside, just whether it is warranty or if you are paying out of pocket. Sounds like they haven't decided yet who is picking up the tab. If you do get to keep it, I'd definitely like to get a look at it to see what can be done. If it does happen that way, I'll post a write up on it with pics so we can have it on the forum for all to see.
Old 11-15-13, 09:48 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

I didn't mean buy the parts outside, just whether it is warranty or if you are paying out of pocket. Sounds like they haven't decided yet who is picking up the tab. If you do get to keep it, I'd definitely like to get a look at it to see what can be done. If it does happen that way, I'll post a write up on it with pics so we can have it on the forum for all to see.
Currently the dealership negotiated a price of $1,400 to install a new starter. It's unfortunately friday but I will contact Lexus Corporate Monday morning to see if they can help me with a "goodwill" on the starter. Will keep you all updated.
Old 11-16-13, 11:55 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've just checked a new starter around $733 at Sewell and it takes 9 to 10 hours of labor doesn't seem right.
Old 11-17-13, 11:53 PM
James7
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The dealership does not allow for owners to buy their own parts because of the (chance) that it may not work after install. To hold the dealership liable for the full fix of the vehicle they need to buy the unit themselves.

Once the old one is out (if it is not goodwilled) I can request to keep the old starter and send it to you for analysis.. I would love to help others find a cheaper solution than having to worry about a "possible" $2,000 fix from the dealership in the future.

Such bull****, this dealership is inconsistent. They're giving customers the run around on leaking water pumps too. They have installed aftermarket parts for some, plugs from Sewell and brake components from tire rack for me, I know a starter is different in terms of overall function but where is the documented policy that lists these exceptions? This dealership is getting worse, might be time to find another ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! Car won't start.. need feedback ASAP!