bnizzle87's IS F Through the Years

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-17, 01:22 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by veee8
Steering wheels looks great! Looking forward to getting one down the road
Much appreciated! It's one of those items that isn't needed to enhance the driving experience, but it certainly adds another level of detail. Those who were going through a different route and have yet to see a refund or the product delivered- I just hope there is a resolution to their situation soon.

Originally Posted by F Monster
Looks good Brian, clean as always!
Thanks, John! It was your pulling up an old install thread and Don's quick guidance on installing his wheel were what made me want to pull the trigger now. Get one ASAP! Apparently, Tony is waiting lol.
The following users liked this post:
F Monster (06-26-17)
Old 06-26-17, 11:53 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

you keep adding small touches to the car that really makes it an amazing work of art, the steering wheel looks fire and love the black carbon fiber, i wish lexus would have done a black carbon fiber interior but oh well lol. your car will always keep being an inspiration for me, keep up the good work bro.
Old 06-27-17, 10:56 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackisF08
you keep adding small touches to the car that really makes it an amazing work of art, the steering wheel looks fire and love the black carbon fiber, i wish lexus would have done a black carbon fiber interior but oh well lol. your car will always keep being an inspiration for me, keep up the good work bro.
Thanks, Gerardo! I would've thought that after nearly 10 years, there wouldn't be anything else I wanted for the car. It's the little things that separate our own individual car from everyone else's, even as unique the car is already. I was more on the fence with this particular mod until recently because pricing for it was just way too much compared to other brands. And even scouring vendor sites didn't have full options to customize the wheel the way I wanted. But I know I opened a can of worms with this one, as I know the carbon fiber and Texalium clash, so the next logical step would be to work on sourcing the interior pieces. Some owners here have DIY'd their own carbon fiber interior and I think that looks really good.

Again, thanks for the kind words. Aiming for a meetup once the weather cools. I want to hear that new mod of yours!
Old 06-28-17, 09:48 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Thanks, Gerardo! I would've thought that after nearly 10 years, there wouldn't be anything else I wanted for the car. It's the little things that separate our own individual car from everyone else's, even as unique the car is already. I was more on the fence with this particular mod until recently because pricing for it was just way too much compared to other brands. And even scouring vendor sites didn't have full options to customize the wheel the way I wanted. But I know I opened a can of worms with this one, as I know the carbon fiber and Texalium clash, so the next logical step would be to work on sourcing the interior pieces. Some owners here have DIY'd their own carbon fiber interior and I think that looks really good.

Again, thanks for the kind words. Aiming for a meetup once the weather cools. I want to hear that new mod of yours!
it is probably the most beautiful steering wheel i have ever seen, i am sure it feels amazing. for sure bro whenever you want just let me know. i am in need of a longer drive than my work commute lol
Old 07-29-17, 09:03 PM
bakalag
Intermediate

Received 403 Likes on 118 Posts

Some picture contributions of this car....

Old 07-30-17, 10:53 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks Good! I still love that molded spoiler....
Old 07-31-17, 10:23 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bakalag
Some picture contributions of this car....
Never a bad shot from this guy. Hands down, one of the chillest photogs I've ever had the opportunity to hang with. Thanks, Eric!
Old 07-31-17, 10:25 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
Looks Good! I still love that molded spoiler....
Thanks, Steve! After a good five years now, I thought the molding would start to need attention, as others who've gone this route have cautioned prior, but it's still uniform and very much just like how it was when it was freshly painted years ago.

Are you planning to attend the all F meet coming up?
Old 02-28-18, 07:36 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

The only stickers I put on my cars are registration stickers. Ten of these, to be exact.

Ten years of ownership. Zero regrets. No car is perfect, but that special bond one has with his car- that’s what makes it perfection. You worry about door dings at a random parking lot, even though you ****-retentively park her so far away that initially you think no one would come even close to parking near or right beside…only to find her in the company of another vehicle, often a ratchet looking, run down POS. You struggle to figure out which mods to purchase because 1) there aren’t too many to begin with, and 2) you want to find something that suits your tastes, even if it means waiting months on end for imported goods. You read up on what others are doing to their cars, and it gets you majorly pumped to want to keep modding your ride, even though it becomes more of a money pit than investment. But at the end of the day, you realize that the car you bought as a youngster opened up an entirely new world to explore; experiences to enjoy, friendships fostered from the likeness of a vehicle because of its unknowing presence among car enthusiasts and common car owners alike, and thus an appreciation for this platform both for what it is and for what it can become. You religiously clean and detail her because- let’s face it- high performance cars plus huge multi-piston brakes equate to constant brake dust and dirt around the car at any given time. But you don’t stop there. You enjoy her for the over-engineering that went into producing her and how potent she was presented upon taking delivery, yearning to maximize her full potential. No car is perfect, but as long as you love what you drive, nothing else matters.

I’ve looked back at this past decade of ownership and, after seeing all I’ve chronicled here on Club Lexus thus far, there is more to do with this car. The great friends who I often talk to on a daily basis were once strangers prior to having a likeness of the IS F and gradually linking up on the forums. New things are in store for not only myself but those who want to gather and showcase what Lexus’ first performance model is really all about. Over the years, countless members and people off the forums contact me for suggestions or input on certain mods, and without hesitation, I offer it freely. I’m not one of those guys who keeps his offsets a secret or not reveal where I bought a part in fear someone else will get it for cheaper. I’m one of those guys who, if you ever needed help, I’m there. Many members have helped me out greatly, from mechanical and functional parts to referrals to a shop that can meet my demands when working on my car. Sure, there will always be some opinions that might not be too well received, but at least it’s an opinion. Not everyone needs to hear everything or remotely modify for others’ content, but I often like to hear the positive and negatives of a certain mod or approach to doing anything to this platform because others have probably come across the same issue and it helps to hear how they proceeded with things. There are way too many crooked people out there looking solely after themselves and getting that buck any way they can. Knowing who to trust, though hard, is a great start and I’m glad there are numerous owners whom I’ve befriended that I can trust to help me at any given time.

Looking forward, I see nothing but solid production vehicles for the F heritage to continue growing. Seeing how Lexus consistently improved the IS F from its second year onto its last production year in 2014 shows how committed the brand was to not only being very competitive with its rivals but also taking great strides into changing the public perception that the M or AMG is not all that is available when it comes to luxury brands creating powerful, performance-driven vehicles. Of course, ten years into F, and sadly my worries regarding the marquee still remain:

-confusion: Owners refer to their F-sport as, for example, “IS350 F” or “ISF350”; terrific…not only have I needed to explain what F means to the random inquirer but now I have to deal with those who genuinely believe all F-sport vehicles are indeed F-performance vehicles. It should not irk me as much as it did a decade ago, but it still does- greatly. And especially here on the forums when there are separate subforums to discuss things, stuff like this should not even have to happen a decade into Lexus F. There needs to be a more distinct way that distinguishes F-sport freely from the F-performance brand.

-performance dilution: While I appreciate all builds and the owners who spend time modifying their vehicles, I simply do not understand some of the “builds” that are being created. And in an attempt to keep things civil, as I care not to start a keyboard war, FUNCTION OVER FORM, all day EVERYDAY!

-factory upgrades availability: I love the GS F. If I didn’t own my IS F, the GS F would definitely be on my purchase order currently. But in my humble opinion, creating a 10th anniversary edition of the RC F and GS F, while they both look spectacular and the details are entirely superb all around, was a bit shocking to see come to development. What I thought would have been nice was to see those parts created for the IS F and make those items available or at least special order for those of us who want to continue modifying our Fs. The black on blue carbon is a beautiful look all around the car, and would be a welcomed addition for many who want something to be a part of the commemoration. The seating- blue leather looks fantastic. And the blue F calipers are something I’ve personally been looking into since normally the blue calipers are often synonymous with the F-sport caliper look. And of course, there's my long shot hope of the TRD parts off the IS F CCS-P...a very long shot.

There have been faster cars produced, some of which I would really like a crack at owning first hand. But never have I wanted to trade her in for something newer or faster. There’s a beautiful connection with this car. I can care less if mine appreciates in value, becomes a collector’s item, or becomes sought after by those looking to get into an IS F. I’ve had some really generous offers to sell my F (aftermarket and stock parts included), some that would jumpstart other ventures I’ve been looking to get into. But as I’ve maintained over the years, this one was mine from the get go. I earned her. She was not handed to me or bought by mommy or daddy. She was not a gift of any sorts. Earn. Save. Repeat. Do it enough times, and the things you want are not only realistic but now within your grasp. If I can offer one piece of advice to anyone buying an F-performance vehicle- buy with an intent to learn. Many think they know what they have in their garage, yet few understand what it means to own something this special. The F is beyond just four tips, reliability, and powerful. Its heritage shall continue to grow, hopefully in the right direction, but it all starts with us owners. LFA is the halo car and RC F/ GS F are the torch bearers currently, but never forget which model put Lexus on the map when it comes to performance. Ten years is small in the grand scheme of things, but this first ten years was essential to see how great the F brand can be in years to come.

Congratulations Lexus!
The following 6 users liked this post by bnizzle87:
Brad3275 (02-28-18), graphX250 (02-28-18), isfvss (02-28-18), mikersoft (03-01-18), MileHIFcar (03-01-18), s2kimport (03-01-18) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-28-18, 07:51 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

In commemorating ten years with my IS F, here are some of the best shots I have in the archives...

Most know that with the purchase of the Neiman Marcus build IS F back in 2008 when new, it would include a track day at select motorsports parks around the United States. My choice- Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Of course, that name will be much different later on this year, but as it remains, it was my introductory crash course on not only learning about the IS F's potential but also how to be a better driver both on the streets and at the track. Much love to Lexus for the hospitality and sorry about the front seat, especially at the famed "Corkscrew".

Cars shouldn't be rivalries among brands. What I have greatly appreciated with any other car on the road, fast or not, is what it offers in comparison. Case in point when my buddy Eric, who also owns a Lexus IS, wanted to show off his vintage Datsun 280Z. The heritage Datsun/NIssan have with the Z production vehicles is vastly impressive, making select examples all the more sought after to this day.

Who would've thunk it that my best friend, my best man, and my biggest critic would be right here on the forums. TrackMonky and I met at one of Longo Lexus' events, and have been close ever since. Here is a shot of us at, yes....Pursuit 4. Kids, this was the grand ish of Lexus meets! Great cars, great vibes, and honestly, everyone up and down the West Coast was looking forward to it when sign-ups were made available. Good things don't have to come to an end though. Sadly, this one did, and it left many in the Lexus community wanting more.

More to come...
The following users liked this post:
s2kimport (03-01-18)
Old 02-28-18, 08:15 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

More than just a typical cruise on Mulholland Drive. Getting guys and gals and families alike to convene in their IS Fs and enjoy each other's company....can't beat this at all. Many guys have since moved on to other platforms, but remain in touch with me. Friends supporting friends and having fun doing so is what it's all about.

Perhaps one of my biggest headaches with this car came with the constant indecisiveness of whether to keep the WALD International trunk spoiler as is- that is simply double-sided tape on the trunk itself- or mold it and the quarter panel to create a uniform, seamless flow from the rear angles. I obviously went with the latter. The guys who were more knowledgeable with custom shop work and molding were the ones I inquired heavily about taking on such a project myself. Mariano and Clark- you guys have a great eye for these things, and I also want to thank Diamond Hills Collision Center for their outstanding work in making sure this look was on point.

How does one get a brand new car when they've driven it off the lots years ago? Simple- headers! PPE to be exact, and i am so glad that it unlocked the power on this car greatly. A simple mod, though very intricate in installation, transforms the car from being ordinary at times to unleashing that devil every time you mash the pedal with SPORT mode activated. Combine this with a less restrictive exhaust and a tune (yes, Lexus can be unlocked, too), and you are looking at nearly 430RWHP/400RWTQ. For those wanting more, a supercharger is available, but if I'm not going for TRD parts, I'm certainly not going for forced induction.

Shot by one of the kindest guys I know, one of my groomsmen, and the biggest Toyota/Lexus encyclopedia with arms and legs I know....Flipside909. Throughout the years, we've gotten together, often times to shoot and chat about our Lexus rides, but other times to just hang out. The guy is all work, but for the closest of friends, he'll drop everything to chill and grab a bite. Don't see too many of those types these days. A brother from another mother, a great friend, and great asset to Lexus.

Old 02-28-18, 08:28 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

quarius- my nemesis friend. He beat me to the punch when it came to the LSD (sorry we never got to put them to the test when you were here), the tune (he's got smaller hands, so of course he got to install his then physical tuned ECU first), and those times we were lined up waiting for the light to go green (let's just say he cheated ). A friend who also moved away recently but a friend who stays in touch. If Club Lexus has taught me anything, it's to enjoy the friendships we make here. Some are just owners, while a select few are actually great friends hiding behind a screenname. He shot this at Auto Club Speedway, on a day he wasn't tracking or working. Just came by to visit, chat, get a little sunburnt, and enjoy the smell of burnt rubber.

Very few opportunities are presented when you get the Lexus F heritage in one shot. 467 HP flanked on either side of me, and an old, highly modified 500+ HP IS F sitting pretty dead center. Who says the eldest sibling doesn't get the spotlight at times?

Old 02-28-18, 08:45 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

As many of you know, Lexus North America Headquarters is no longer in this great state. Some heavy hitters came and went through the sliding glass doors, that's for sure. So me, Jenn and the Batmobile, sharp shooter Eric, and LA Livin Cesar decided to protest the move, with the hopes that the suits would choose not to leave and maintain their position here. OK, in actuality, we were just getting bored and wanted to get one final shot at HQ. Suddenly you wanna play Musical Chairs, dont'cha?

I took delivery of my IS F on the 29th of February 2008, so I rarely get to celebrate that day specifically. For now I'll end with one final shot- taken by my friend Jeff (quarius).

Lexus, your F heritage started here. I'm proud to be one of the first owners of this platform and help promote the F performance name. #LexusF10

Old 02-28-18, 10:30 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I think you have a great attitude towards the car community, I love my ISF 2011 it gets driven 4 to 5 times a week and every time it puts a big grin on my dial and I have owned a LOT of cars being a mechanic 58 years young. Keep on enjoying life all the best. PS this is one of the best forums out there.
Old 03-01-18, 04:19 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Nice write up, Brian.

Quick Reply: bnizzle87's IS F Through the Years