IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DIY Plastic Dipped some parts on F

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-13, 08:04 AM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice job man... quick question... When u used the pin-stripe tape, not sure if that's what it's called, but did u have to remove it after a coat, let it dry, then re-apply the tape for another coat? i would think if u left it there and did a couple of coats, the tape would lift the plastidip up when removing the tape when the plastidip would dry.
Old 10-19-13, 08:21 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by CUTigers
Cant say iv ever seen stripes done like that with the clear.. interesting.

I wanted to something different subtle not in your face, back in 96' I had ghost flames air brushed onto my 5.0 stang came out very kool had to be within 10ft to see them. Was trying for something similar.

I cant say iv ventured on using it for more than emblems and window trim(but i liked it and lasted over a year just fine) on my 335. Have not used it on the F
So far been on for over 6 weeks no issue.

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Interesting look. Subtle but adds a little extra detail to the fender area. The front looks completely transformed. Lines were definitely well executed when spraying. It's a unique look, and still pretty fierce for the F.
Thanks bnizzle I normally get looks and question when I drive F but now even more than before.

[QUOTE=kdm;8195151]Nice blue calipers. How do you like them painted?
Thinking of doing yellow calipers in my Obsidian but no clue how'd that look (as long as it doesn't look silly..)

Love them, Have DIY on them it was my first mod, there are tons DIY on this several different methods you can use from high quality spray paints like VHT one of best out there, to brush on epoxy based paints that route I took.

There was Obsidian F here on CL with that combo and it looked great, It's great color combo for black sporty cars.
Old 10-19-13, 08:33 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure there are at least a couple of community members who are going to hate this lol

I think it looks pretty good. I can't get it to dry so smoothly - yours is pretty much perfect. I only did the rear emblems but I might try redoing it whenever another good, dry day comes around. Did you use the glossifier over the black plastidip?
Old 10-19-13, 08:45 AM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by JKweezy
Nice job man... quick question... When u used the pin-stripe tape, not sure if that's what it's called, but did u have to remove it after a coat, let it dry, then re-apply the tape for another coat? i would think if u left it there and did a couple of coats, the tape would lift the plastidip up when removing the tape when the plastidip would dry.
Hey JKweezy thanks, and yes it's called pinstriping to ans your question, no left it on for all coats but here is the trick you must remove pinstriping or tape while paint is relatively wet when doing anything with hard line so you have to work fast waiting only minute or so between coats ensuring you have wet coat applied but not too wet or it will run this takes some practices. Your right if you let it dry too long it will lift plastic dip off when removing tape one or two minutes to long and you're screwed. Only good thing so what you won't hurt anything just let it dry remove it and start again.

This what happen when I wait about two minutes to long.
DIY Plastic Dipped some parts on F-2013-09-08-19.29.56.jpg

DIY Plastic Dipped some parts on F-2013-09-08-19.31.18.jpg
Old 10-19-13, 09:02 AM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by snea
I'm sure there are at least a couple of community members who are going to hate this lol

I think it looks pretty good. I can't get it to dry so smoothly - yours is pretty much perfect. I only did the rear emblems but I might try redoing it whenever another good, dry day comes around. Did you use the glossifier over the black plastidip?
Hey Snea thanks and you're 100% right there will be those how will absolutely hate it but that ok everyone is entitled to there own opinion, I know this is not for everyone but I'm fine with that.

It sound like when you're applying plastic dip you're too far away, ideally you should be 5in to 6in away get it closer and remember nice wet coat applied in even strokes start spraying two inches to left of emblem continue across emblem not release spray nozzle until you have complete swept across face of emblem. Practical on anything then try again.
Old 10-19-13, 09:42 AM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

i've done my emblems... then decided to do the front lip since it was getting tore up by my daily commute... i used the big painter's tape and had to rip it in little pieces to contour the line... after the fact, i wondered why i didn't buy pinstripe tape but it was because i had the big tape from the plastidipping of the emblems... but yeah i had to remove the tape after each coat and was wondering if u did the same or if there was a shortcut...

Here's a pic of my front lip... subtle but helped conceal all the road rash my lip was taking from my daily commute... i only did 2 coats as i wasn't sure of the outcome but i like it... i will need to do the normal 4-5 coats when i get a chance to redo it...
Attached Thumbnails DIY Plastic Dipped some parts on F-ffront.jpg  
Old 10-19-13, 03:44 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow I love the dip, never seen the clear stripes. Great idea!!