IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Do not buy Project Mu for track time!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-13, 12:33 PM
ckrueger4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .......................................

Last edited by ckrueger4; 09-30-13 at 05:12 AM. Reason: I am done
Old 09-28-13, 12:55 PM
yemgi
Pole Position

If your husband is such a phenomenal track driver I don't see how a set of performance brake pads could put his life in danger more than OEM pads. He should be able to realize if the breaking performance is decreased and adapt his driving to it
Old 09-28-13, 02:49 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Those are great STREET PADS. Carbotech xp12 front & xp10 rear for serious track use. Also i would put good money on the fact hes leaving VSC (traction control) on when hes on the track if hes going through pads like that.
Old 09-28-13, 03:06 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

are you talking about the Project Mu NS pads?

according to Project Mu's website (and I quote):

"TYPE NS pads offer a well-balanced improvement over the performance of genuine brake pads while reducing dust and noise."

"The NS-ZERO is an environmentally considerate model of dedicated street-driving brake pads, producing even less dust and noise than TYPE NS."

I don't see them saying anything about track performance, though they should be able to last a track day (doesn't mean they will, mind you).

I think there's more than we're led to believe from your posts, so maybe your husband can come in and explain in detail how he trashed two sets of Project Mu brake pads in as many track days.
Old 09-28-13, 05:36 PM
revolut1on
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased type NS pads on the recommendations from others and under the impression they were suited for street use. I remember specifically reading that they 'could' possibly do some light track work.

I think you either read wrong or didn't read all of the posts in regards to the street pads.
Old 09-28-13, 07:49 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

"promoted from beginner to intermediate with a solo sticker from his driving instructor so he is a phenomenal driver"
LOL. I have been solo on many tracks for many years and I still feel that I have a long way to go. You should be more wary of making us weary about your husband not researching something that would "put his life in danger"
Old 09-28-13, 07:56 PM
QQQ
Rookie

Mrs. Andretti ain't happy.
Old 09-29-13, 10:50 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ckrueger4
We purchased these brake pads based on recommendations from many members on this forum. Unfortunately, my husband had a horrible experience with them. He took is 2008 ISF to Road America this morning and went through 2 sets of pads in as many times on the track. He is not a novice to the track. He does high performance driving schools through a BMW club. This is his second time at this particular track - the first time he was promoted from beginner to intermediate with a solo sticker from his driving instructor so he is a phenomenal driver.
Please take care when you post that something is high quality and meant for track use as there are those of us out there that take it as an endorsement. You put peoples lives in danger and should be more weary of this.
You both were obviously not doing your research. Unless you buy pads specifically made for track use which are made to withstand higher temps then you can't really come on here and make accusations. We didn't put your husbands life in danger, only your own selves. Nobody has ever claimed Project Mu pads were designed for track day, only street! Some people may use them for a track day and get away with it but we don't know the kind of driving or how long. Please do your research before coming on here and throwing accusations.
Old 09-29-13, 11:33 AM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
You both were obviously not doing your research. Unless you buy pads specifically made for track use which are made to withstand higher temps then you can't really come on here and make accusations. We didn't put your husbands life in danger, only your own selves. Nobody has ever claimed Project Mu pads were designed for track day, only street! Some people may use them for a track day and get away with it but we don't know the kind of driving or how long. Please do your research before coming on here and throwing accusations.
Patrick. You are wasting your breath. Check out this post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...sc-italia.html
Old 09-29-13, 11:43 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Why are you posting on behalf of your husband
2. Do your research, this forum has a TON of threads on track setups for the ISF
3. You still haven't provided which pads he used, there are different models of Project Mu
4. You still haven't given us proof that people used the same exact setup and had trouble on the track
5. Next time inform the forums of what kind of driving is being done so experienced track drivers can give the right recommendations
Old 09-29-13, 12:15 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I think there is some major confusion here. Project Mu is a brand that makes many different compounds. They make street pads designed for street use only (NS / NS400), track pads designed for track use only (Racing 999) and just about everything in between.

It is important to understand how to choose a pad that suits your situation best. Diver experience, vehicle weight, vehicle power, tires used, and the track driven on are all factors that must be considered when choosing the correct pads for track use. Road America is especially brutal on brakes compared to many other tracks and the ISF is a heavy and powerful car that is hard on brakes. Combine the two with an inappropriate pad selection and you will heat the pad way beyond it's MOT (maximum operating temperature) resulting in pad fade, extremely fast pad wear and ultimately a scary and frustrating situation.

Here is a chart from Project Mu that shows how some of their different compounds compare:

I believe the Club Racers are a derivative of the Racing 777 and H16-03 from their racing compounds. They are not listed on that chart but they are indeed a track specific pad that can be driven on the street (I daily drive mine in between track events) if you can handle a little noise from time to time.

Since The NS400, HC+800 and Club Racer are the only relevant compounds for the ISF community we can focus on those. As I mentioned in the other thread The Club Racer is the only pad specifically designed for track use and will last for several track days even on a heavy high power car like the ISF. It is in a completely different league compared to the HC+800 and in a completely different world compared to the NS400. The HC+800 is an aggressive street pad that can take some track abuse from newer drivers on street tires (or lighter cars) but can be overheated if you have an experienced driver really pushing them on a heavier car. NS400 is a high end street pad that should not be used on a track in an ISF.

NS400 description:
Project Mu NS400 compounds are developed specifically for street use. The NS400 pads are reliable and guaranteed to outperform OEM pads for a reasonable cost. NS400 pads provide outstanding initial stopping power which is of prime importance on the street. Made from asbestos-free brake compounds, NS400 street pads have excellent low dust and squeal properties. Use this pad to get the most out of your street car.

HC+800 description:
Project Mu HC+800 Brake Pads are a premium performance street, race, and rally brake pad. HC800 Brake Pads have more bite than both NS400 and B-Spec and has excellent fade resistance. Capable of operating at temperatures up to 800° (1,472°f), this pad will handle almost all serious braking conditions. Along with temperature capabilities, HC+800 is characterized as a “drivers pad” with unmatched driver feel and control. HC800 is a genuine ‘crossover’ pad suitable for both road and race. It is extremely capable in competition environments, so use this pad if you are involved in serious track day, rally, etc.

Name:  pmu_hc800.jpg
Views: 2896
Size:  155.2 KB

Club Racer description:
Club Racer is the new pad from Project-Mu for club racing and rally enthusiasts with seriously fast cars. It is a brake pad that offers the very best in performance, feel and release. This pad really punches above it's weight and will push aside many other over-priced race pads in many race and rally applications. It is based on the DNA of Project-Mu's ultra successful H16-03 motorsport pad which is one of the world's best race pads today. Club Racer is the pad to use of your car spends a majority of it's time on the track or in a rally at anything up to full professional motorsport.

I should also mention that although Project Mu claims the HC+800 is capable of track use, they work alright but they will wear much faster when they get that hot. It is a great pad for newer track drivers only doing a few events per year but drivers who go to the track more often will want something more appropriate (Club Racer, XP12, PFC 11, etc.)

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 09-29-13 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-29-13, 03:13 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 09-29-13, 04:58 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Great post Matt..!!

I am very much enjoying my Project Mu NS pads for "Street Driving" only..

~ Joe Z

Originally Posted by Speed-Freaks.net
I think there is some major confusion here. Project Mu is a brand that makes many different compounds. They make street pads designed for street use only (NS / NS400), track pads designed for track use only (Racing 999) and just about everything in between.

It is important to understand how to choose a pad that suits your situation best. Diver experience, vehicle weight, vehicle power, tires used, and the track driven on are all factors that must be considered when choosing the correct pads for track use. Road America is especially brutal on brakes compared to many other tracks and the ISF is a heavy and powerful car that is hard on brakes. Combine the two with an inappropriate pad selection and you will heat the pad way beyond it's MOT (maximum operating temperature) resulting in pad fade, extremely fast pad wear and ultimately a scary and frustrating situation.

Here is a chart from Project Mu that shows how some of their different compounds compare:

I believe the Club Racers are a derivative of the Racing 777 and H16-03 from their racing compounds. They are not listed on that chart but they are indeed a track specific pad that can be driven on the street (I daily drive mine in between track events) if you can handle a little noise from time to time.

Since The NS400, HC+800 and Club Racer are the only relevant compounds for the ISF community we can focus on those. As I mentioned in the other thread The Club Racer is the only pad specifically designed for track use and will last for several track days even on a heavy high power car like the ISF. It is in a completely different league compared to the HC+800 and in a completely different world compared to the NS400. The HC+800 is an aggressive street pad that can take some track abuse from newer drivers on street tires (or lighter cars) but can be overheated if you have an experienced driver really pushing them on a heavier car. NS400 is a high end street pad that should not be used on a track in an ISF.

NS400 description:
Project Mu NS400 compounds are developed specifically for street use. The NS400 pads are reliable and guaranteed to outperform OEM pads for a reasonable cost. NS400 pads provide outstanding initial stopping power which is of prime importance on the street. Made from asbestos-free brake compounds, NS400 street pads have excellent low dust and squeal properties. Use this pad to get the most out of your street car.

HC+800 description:
Project Mu HC+800 Brake Pads are a premium performance street, race, and rally brake pad. HC800 Brake Pads have more bite than both NS400 and B-Spec and has excellent fade resistance. Capable of operating at temperatures up to 800° (1,472°f), this pad will handle almost all serious braking conditions. Along with temperature capabilities, HC+800 is characterized as a “drivers pad” with unmatched driver feel and control. HC800 is a genuine ‘crossover’ pad suitable for both road and race. It is extremely capable in competition environments, so use this pad if you are involved in serious track day, rally, etc.

Club Racer description:
Club Racer is the new pad from Project-Mu for club racing and rally enthusiasts with seriously fast cars. It is a brake pad that offers the very best in performance, feel and release. This pad really punches above it's weight and will push aside many other over-priced race pads in many race and rally applications. It is based on the DNA of Project-Mu's ultra successful H16-03 motorsport pad which is one of the world's best race pads today. Club Racer is the pad to use of your car spends a majority of it's time on the track or in a rally at anything up to full professional motorsport.

I should also mention that although Project Mu claims the HC+800 is capable of track use, they work alright but they will wear much faster when they get that hot. It is a great pad for newer track drivers only doing a few events per year but drivers who go to the track more often will want something more appropriate (Club Racer, XP12, PFC 11, etc.)

-Matt M.
Old 09-29-13, 09:52 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Isfast
Patrick. You are wasting your breath. Check out this post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...sc-italia.html
That link is pretty telling.......
Old 09-30-13, 08:09 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm glad she edited her original post. She used pads that were clearly rated for street only use (even after she was told that in the prior thread) and then came in here to post a negative review for Project Mu despite her misuse of the product.

I, like so many other people on this board, have had nothing but positive experiences with Project Mu as OEM replacement pads for my ISF, and I will continue to use them for STREET USE the time I own this car. And Speed Freaks are great vendors to order your pads from.

Quick Reply: Do not buy Project Mu for track time!