IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What Would U Guys Do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-13, 01:46 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What Would U Guys Do?

I was supposed to take delivery of a 2011 CPO F today, salesman was driving it down to me in St.Pete from Jacksonville. He arrived with the car and before I took possession of car I gave it a good walk thru cause I hadn't seen it in person yet. I immediately noticed headlight casings were really cloudy and appeared scratched up, both sides. Also several rock chips on hood and bumper that were not previously disclosed, possibly happened on 4 hour drive down. I told sales guy to call his boss and let him know that I need to know why these issues are on a CPO car. Of course his dealer is closed today so he only could get new car manager on phone who had no idea what was going on and got really rude with me telling me it's a used car and to basically deal with it. I told sales guy I needed this resolved before I would take car and he says "Thanks for wasting my day off with an 8 hour round trip drive, just give me the damn keys back so I can leave and thanks again for wasting my time". I'm sure pre-owned manager will be calling me tomorrow when dealer opens to find out what happened to the deal. I don't know if I should have him fix car to my liking if he offers or just walk away from the whole thing. If car wasn't the perfect color combo I wouldn't really care but it's a SFP with Alpine interior and it's what I have been looking for. Thanks for any input on this, I trust u guys
Old 09-01-13, 01:55 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rock chips and hazed headlights dont really have anything to do with CPO. You would never see any cars with CPO if they had to be rock chip free to be certified.
Old 09-01-13, 02:25 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

My 08 I had shipped to me a year and a half ago was a CPO from dealer in Indiana and it was completely free of rock chips and other defects just like dealer described so I guess I got spolied by my first F being so perfect. I specifically asked if car had any blemishes like wheel rash or rock chips and was told absolutely not.
Old 09-01-13, 02:33 PM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick to your guns. You are in the driver seat for the deal.
Old 09-01-13, 03:15 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea it's really your preference if you want to accept a car with rock chips and hazed headlights

The F gets rock chips very easy I wish I would have done a clear bra when I got mine but now my bumper and hood look bad with rock chips everywhere
Old 09-01-13, 03:52 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They shoulda covered the front of the car since they knew they were going to be making sucha drive to you. Trust your gut, if you feel you are getting shafted on the deal, decline it or asked what else they could do to even out the situation.
Old 09-01-13, 04:03 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

I guess I fail to see the value in spending more for a CPO if it looks like anybody's daily driver. Sure it has a 3 yr warranty but doubtful I will ever use that warranty being that it's a Lexus. My search will continue for another car I guess, will see what sales manager says tomorrow.
Old 09-01-13, 04:29 PM
fasttexasz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Let them know how rude there employees are and that the condition was never disclosed. Rocks chips I could get over but headlights in that bad of shape on a 2011 is unacceptable. I honestly would buy from a differant dealer those guys are highly unprofessional and would notify the dealerships owner if I didn't like what the General Manger had to say.
Old 09-01-13, 04:33 PM
GriMan
Pole Position

You did the the right thing imo. CPO should be mint condition especially if it's only 2 yrs old Isf. You're not obligated to buy it and Its your money after all.
Old 09-01-13, 04:38 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Hmm, that's a tough one. On one hand, you specifically asked the guy if there were any rock chips and he said no, so that's a reason to be upset. On the other hand, CPO doesn't mean perfect/mint/new... no matter how meticulous the previous owner was, 30k miles and almost 3 years will have minor wear. I personally would not have killed the deal when you got a good price and the perfect color combo unless the car looked like *****. I have a clear bra on my car and keep it garaged, and yet I still have an annoying chip here and scratch there, and I even have a spot where some bird poop etched into my clearcoat on a hot day when my car was outside. It's a car and it happens. If you were going to be that particular, you probably should have flown up to check out the car yourself.

Oh, and forget the salesman whining about wasting his day off and blah blah... I'm sure he had fun driving your car down and certainly got paid to do so.
Old 09-01-13, 05:30 PM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats exactly why you never buy a car site unseen. When you buy have them take a paint depth tool while your standing there. Never take there word for it. I bought an 09 isf from land rover from gwinnet ga. The sales men stated it had no accident damage. He stated it was great shape. I drove the 13 hrs and picked it up. Some rock chips but to be expected. It wasn't till 6 months after my detail guy said it was hit in the right rear. Learned my lesson.. Salesman have one goal, to sell cars and they have a tendency not to give accurate descriptions.... if ur not happy walk away.. cars are a dime a dozen.. rare combo though.. good luck...
Old 09-01-13, 05:31 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow Walk away...

^^ Agreed...

On my first hunt for an ISF back in the beginning of 09'... I wasted large amounts of time physically looking at CPO's.. They were all imperfect in my eyes..

I settled on a leftover brand new 2008 for less then some of those used prices in that time period...

Never looked back on my choice for new

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-01-13 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-01-13, 05:31 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

I was planning on going up next week to pick up car in person but sales manager said he needed car sold before the 1st of the month to meet his quota and he said free delivery and assured me car was showroom condition, said he fine tooth combed the car himself so there would be no issues. My main concern was why the headlights looked so bad for a car that is under 3 yrs old and got nowhere, new car manager said why don't I just buff them out. I'm not buffing out worn out headlight coverings on a $50k car.
Old 09-01-13, 06:41 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with everyone stating its a used car BUT if you asked the sales person AND the manager about specific things like rock chips, dents, scratches, etc. and they clearly stated the car was free of such you have the upper hand. IMO, I would just ask them to replace both headlights and take the car. What probably happened was the previous owner swapped the headlights out for a few extra dollars. My 08 with 62,xxx does not have hazy headlights but is covered in rock chips and the front bumper and windshield are pitted.
Old 09-01-13, 10:50 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

There is a TSB on 2011 headlights due to bubbling paint. You may have been able to get them replaced at your local dealership free of charge.

Quick Reply: What Would U Guys Do?