2012 led stripped headlights from Sewell questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-13, 02:41 AM
jchen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2012 led stripped headlights from Sewell questions

Hi all,

I recently purchased a set of 2012 stripped headlights from Sewell. I've been reading a bunch of posts the whole day and am still confused about the following:

1. Since the headlights come pre-wired from Sewell, are these just plug and play? No wires need to be rewired or spliced to make the leds work properly?

2. How do I wire the headlights to turn on automatically when I start the car?

3. Is there a way for the leds to power up at 100% during the daytime and 50% when the low beams are on? I usually leave my lights on AUTO and find it bothersome if I had to change to the parking lights and then low beams all the time.

Is there a shop where I can get these installed or would someone locally like to help me out with these? I'm located in Laguna Niguel, CA. We can work on them together and I will buy lunch/dinner too!

Thanks guys,

Jon

Last edited by jchen; 08-10-13 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-10-13, 08:30 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jchen
Hi all,

I recently purchased a set of 2012 stripped headlights from Sewell. I've been reading a bunch of posts the whole day and am still confused about the following:

1. Since the headlights come pre-wired from Sewell, are these just plug and play? No wires need to be rewired or spliced to make the leds work properly?

2. How do I wire the headlights to turn on automatically when I start the car?

3. Is there a way for the leds to power up at 100% during the daytime and 50% when the low beams are on? I usually leave my lights on AUTO and find it bothersome if I had to change to the parking lights and then low beams all the time.

Is there a shop where I can get these installed or would someone locally like to help me out with these? I'm located in Laguna Niguel, CA. We can work on them together and I will buy lunch/dinner too!

Thanks guys,

Jon
1. yes they are plug and play, only thing u have to do is remove and reuse your old ballast and bulbs. you have to cut the tabs to make it fit the front bumper.

2. you don't have to wire it up but if you want to use the auto function and have them turn on automatically then u have to wire them up. you might want to go to the dealer to turn off your drl as this will turn on.

3. the led powers up to 100% from sewell i believe. if you buy the ones from ebay you will need to wire them to 100% and those are not plug and play i believe. if you leave it on auto then wiring them would be the way to go.

good luck on the install and finding help. im sure someone local to you can do it.
Old 08-10-13, 08:30 AM
jjpb5
Driver School Candidate

I just cut my ballast out of my old headlights and crimped the wires back together. Not the best way to do it, but it worked for me. One of the ballasts burnt out when the wires touched. It was my fault and I was in too much of a hurry to get them working. I should have soldered and insulated better. As far as all the other bulbs, it was just plug and play. My LEDs don't turn on in the auto setting. I have to switch back and forth.
Old 08-10-13, 11:02 AM
jchen
Driver School Candidate

Interesting, I'm hearing that you somehow have to splice the wires to make the leds work.
Old 08-10-13, 11:08 AM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are DIY threads on this you have to remove and replace certain pins (wires) in both harnesses to make the lights work and you have to change a fuse that's under the drivers side dash. When I did Charles headlights they only come on 100% but do look good
Old 08-10-13, 02:34 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...dont-work.html

here is the thread i was referring to
Old 08-10-13, 06:46 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea there isn't really anything hard you have to do. Swapping the ballast correctly was easy and takes about 5 min. I think you still have to switch one pin if you want the LEDs at 100% all the time.
Old 08-11-13, 12:22 AM
Petshark
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's where the pins should be when it's done. That's 100% LED. If you want 50% switch the solid green and solid black. Now some say you don't need to solder the solid red to the white, black stripe wire, I tried without it and couldn't get the LED to turn on. The fuse under the drivers side dash is for the turn signals since the new headlights only have 1 bulb instead of 2. It will just flash rapidly until you get to it, but it won't affect anything, if that clears it up. Pretty simple install.
2012 led stripped headlights from Sewell questions-image.jpg

Last edited by Petshark; 08-11-13 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-12-13, 05:55 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I love the new 2012 lights as well but worried about losing the auto leveling and AFS which swivels the lights around turns. Do the 2012 lights have an option to keep these functions?
Old 08-12-13, 06:26 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
I love the new 2012 lights as well but worried about losing the auto leveling and AFS which swivels the lights around turns. Do the 2012 lights have an option to keep these functions?
The auto leveling will stay, but the AFS motors were removed, so that feature won't be available.
Old 08-12-13, 06:27 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^AFS no option just gone. but for the auto leveling, you should still have it unless you unplug the AFS harness. I heard of OP unplugging it because of the blinking AFS light on the gauge. I left mind alone and just stick a peice of black tape over the light.
Old 08-12-13, 07:58 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the info guys and I'm glad to hear the auto leveling will remain, but from what I'm reading I will get an AFS light in the cluster no matter what?
Old 08-12-13, 08:11 AM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Thanks for the info guys and I'm glad to hear the auto leveling will remain, but from what I'm reading I will get an AFS light in the cluster no matter what?
Yes, unless you pull the AFS fuse which will disable the auto leveling, or put black tape over the AFS bulb which will require you to pull the cluster.
Old 08-15-13, 12:55 PM
Endgame
Driver

Hmm. I was considering doing the headlight swap, but it sounds like there is no way to avoid a warning light on the cluster if I do. Am I understanding this correctly?
Old 08-15-13, 01:24 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Endgame
Hmm. I was considering doing the headlight swap, but it sounds like there is no way to avoid a warning light on the cluster if I do. Am I understanding this correctly?
there is a way either remove the cluster and put tape over it or remove the fuse which will also disable ur auto leveling for you head lights.

Quick Reply: 2012 led stripped headlights from Sewell questions