IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

C63 owner about to convert

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-13, 05:50 PM
jordanaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So,

I showed up for my test drive today and guess what I was shown after several conversations with the salesman? It was a 350 with the F package. When I first called I specifically asked for an ISF. He said I need to check the inventory and I'll call you back. He called back in about 30min and said, "Come on in on Tuesday and we'll take it out and discuss." I am not sure if he was just dumb and did not know his products or he was just trying to get me in. Either way I was disgusted and thoroughly upset and let down. I kind of let him have it and it got so heated that I got the manager involved. We finally settled down, I sat down with the manager and before we talked cars, and let him know what the salesman did and how it went down. I let him know that the salesman does not know his products. Anyway, we got down to discussing the ISF and he told me that there were none and he could not get one. I asked about trading or pulling one from another dealership and he said there were none and that he couldn't do it. Couldn't do it?? What the Fu@k? They tried to start selling me a 2014 that wasn't even in production yet. They told me I could get any features i wanted. No kidding. I know what to do with a car that I am ordering new. They told me it would hit the states in Dec/Jan. I did not politely decline. I was animated and aggravated. Then he directed me back to the 350 "F"......

Can you believe it? I asked for an ISF and I got a 350 "F" package. He said I'll give you a great deal on it. I looked at him and said, "Are you kidding?" Got up and walked out. When I first joined this forum, I had many comments about some people mistaking the "F" package instead of the REAL ISF.

Can anyone help? I know that there is a really small production run, but there has to be one somewhere. I have started scavenging the internet. But I'm afraid that I might be out of luck. I might have to go back to Germany, but.........
Old 08-06-13, 06:43 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

First off, definitely go to another dealership. Secondly, are you only willing to consider a brand new 2013? There are cars out there with less than 10k miles that will be cheaper and practically new. If you'd be willing to look into that, you may find plenty of cars you like. Or you could wait to see what Lexus does for 2014.

Or you could go back to German cars. You owe it to yourself to test drive an ISF before making adecision though.
Old 08-07-13, 12:53 AM
jordanaf

Originally Posted by vbb
First off, definitely go to another dealership. Secondly, are you only willing to consider a brand new 2013? There are cars out there with less than 10k miles that will be cheaper and practically new. If you'd be willing to look into that, you may find plenty of cars you like. Or you could wait to see what Lexus does for 2014.

Or you could go back to German cars. You owe it to yourself to test drive an ISF before making adecision though.

I would. Problem is, I cannot even find one.
Old 08-07-13, 04:07 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Wow unbelievable. Don't let this incident let you down!

Try your local Carmax. Even if they don't have an ISF in stock they can have one transferred from another store for you.

Definitely call other Lexus dealerships and see their inventory. Many people here have travelled great distances to find the perfect ISF for them.
Old 08-07-13, 05:56 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanaf
Thank you very much for that clarification. I'll own up. I thought I did my research, but somehow I missed that. I did in fact think that it was a "factory tuned" 350. How are you guys getting such great gas milage? What is the displacement?

And what are the real number's of MPG that most of you are seeing? I use only 93 octane. You guys?
Gas mileage is largely determined by my right foot. I tend to get 21 mpg city and 27 highway during the summer months (in winter, mpg drops about 1-2). I remember when the car first came out, and skeptics questioned the 8 gears, claiming it was too many. Interesting how it's partially responsible for translating into real-world fuel returns, while a few other cars have now followed suit.

Originally Posted by jordanaf
Can you believe it? I asked for an ISF and I got a 350 "F" package. He said I'll give you a great deal on it. I looked at him and said, "Are you kidding?" Got up and walked out. When I first joined this forum, I had many comments about some people mistaking the "F" package instead of the REAL ISF.

Can anyone help? I know that there is a really small production run, but there has to be one somewhere. I have started scavenging the internet. But I'm afraid that I might be out of luck. I might have to go back to Germany, but.........
The sad part is, Lexus really does confuse the consumer with the F and F-Sport branding. Heck, people I've spoken to wonder how the IS F is a higher performing car than the F-Sport-- it has sport in the name, so while they try to understand intuitively, it happens to be misleading.

Though you're 100% right in that the salesman doesn't know his product, I'm not at all surprised that they didn't have the actual F car. In my experience, finding one is difficult for dealers, as my local dealer said they sold less than 10 in a previous year, while all I've checked in the area have none new (at least 3-4 dealerships).

In the short term, you may have a better chance at getting together with a local member for some car talk and a drive, to get a feel for the car.
Old 08-07-13, 07:55 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not much out there...I just did a 300 mile search of 2012-21013's from Dallas and found one locally:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=1&Log=0
Old 08-07-13, 08:21 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

If the OP was local to me, I'd offer him a test ride... and a test drive if he didn't come across too crazy. Like someone just said, that might be the best way for him to really get to see one and make some decisions. If he decides he wants one, he'll probably have to travel a bit to find one. It's the con of looking for such a rare car.
Old 08-07-13, 08:21 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

All in All I must admit that the rarity was not a deciding factor for me - I have been in a Toyota driving family...Dad owns 2, mom owns one, brother , etc, etc.
I defected once and bought a new G35 Coupe when it first came out in 2003 and I must say what a POS!....Nissan products after the almost bankruptcy of the company ...have gone to the crapper.
Yeah, blah blah blah about the first year production run of the car -whatever, I had a club with over 60 g35 members and ALL had the same kinds of complaints. from window regulators to shot trannies.

But at the time I wanted some power & luxury at that price range and Toyota had NOTHING to offer me. So I must say I waited for Toyota to build something like this for years and when they did I started with the IS350 in 2006 then went to the F in 2010. I dont regret any of it.
I know many people with BMW and MB's and they just dont hold up the way Lexus/Toyota does. and that is the most important thing for me.

I must give credit where its do...BMW is the benchmark for all this...and I have driven them and I see why they are the benchmark...I also have ridden in AMG's (never drove one) ...all in all the Germans have this performance sedan thing down packed...especially BMW.

But Lexus will get there I believe...and they are nipping at BMW's coat tails with the new 2014 stuff...and once Lexus does get there...they will also last longer & be built better and hopefully wont make every damn feature you want some silly priced "extra option" like BMW & MB do now.

The rarity of the F for me was just a "just so happened to be" extra cool thing about it!
Yes we would all like more aftermarket to make our F's into MONSTERS, but for me the intake and headers..gave me significant bump in power. if thats all i get I'm cool with it, cus at no time do I EVER feel "slow" and i can rest assured that 10 years from now, my F will run like a dream.
when all those BMW & MB are on their 4th owners and 2nd trannies, etc

Last edited by NYC ES3; 08-07-13 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-07-13, 09:12 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
If the OP was local to me, I'd offer him a test ride... and a test drive if he didn't come across too crazy. Like someone just said, that might be the best way for him to really get to see one and make some decisions. If he decides he wants one, he'll probably have to travel a bit to find one. It's the con of looking for such a rare car.
I agree with the travel part, I had to travel to get mine.

One was local, but not even close to what I wanted and I passed on it. The other three that I looked at were 1300-2500 miles away.

I ended up getting exactly what I was looking for in the F and it was the 1300 mile away vehicle. It only had 600 miles on it and was still considered new by Lexus with full warranty.

I will have to agree with everyone else, you really need to drive it to know if you want it.

I can tell you that the 1300 mile drive back home was nothing short of awesome. The car is comfy, sporty, looks great and handles very nicely.

Is it 600 HP like your C63? No and it probably never will be. Even stock the car has a decent set of nuts to it and all things considered (and even more so considering Lexus' reliability) it's a great car.
Old 08-07-13, 10:10 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Come to CA... there's a bunch of them for sale all over the state, even on a couple on craigslist! Test drive all of them and find the one you really want and drive or ship it back to TX. You wont have to worry about rust as well...

Here's two 2012's for sale in the SF bay area on craigslist:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/3955432895.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3978067088.html
Old 08-07-13, 11:35 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

jordanaf you gotta be willing to travel guy! Just make a weekend trip out of it if the dealer is far. Even for a few minutes to test drive the F, it will be worth it. The only downside is the distance you have to travel, as many other owners have done to purchase their F's. I guarantee you every single one of them will say it was worth it.

Personally, I paid a little more than I should have years ago for my 08 F, because not only was it close to home, it only had 1 previous owner and 16K miles on it.

We won't let you give up. Welcome to the F family
Old 08-07-13, 11:55 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Hey Jordanaf when I purchased my F in Nov of 2010 there were only 3 2011 ISF in USA that was it I was like WTF ended getting my F from Lexus of Plano TX and I live in Westchester County in New York state. I've sent emails to sales staff from Lexus of Plano TX, Lexus of Greenwich CT, and Lexus of Larchmont NY. I have purchased vehicle from all three dealership hopefully they can locate one for you. Will update you when I here back from them.
Old 08-07-13, 04:04 PM
jordanaf

Originally Posted by ShawnD
Not much out there...I just did a 300 mile search of 2012-21013's from Dallas and found one locally:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=1&Log=0
Thanks that was very nice. I have done that search as well. I did see it. I actually really like that car. I wasn't thinking about traveling, as I have many things going on in my career and personal life. It is becoming apparent that I need to look beyond my current radius.

Originally Posted by vbb
That is a nice gesture. I assure you that if I was close to VA, I'd take you up on it!!! And, no I'm not too crazy. I am very respectful. That is exactly it, though. I do need to get some seat time, regardless of options. That way I could tell whether I wanted one anyway. Then, I could broaden my search and try to come up with one. It is a big con I'm finding out.

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
Come to CA... there's a bunch of them for sale all over the state, even on a couple on craigslist! Test drive all of them and find the one you really want and drive or ship it back to TX. You wont have to worry about rust as well...

Here's two 2012's for sale in the SF bay area on craigslist:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/3955432895.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3978067088.html
I am very ready for a trip to CA!!! I just cannot right now. As stated above, my life does not have room for a major trip right now. Even if I flew in and out. I am in the middle of construction on a new restaurant. But, if I could get some seat time in one close, I would have no problem negotiating over the phone.

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
jordanaf you gotta be willing to travel guy! Just make a weekend trip out of it if the dealer is far. Even for a few minutes to test drive the F, it will be worth it. The only downside is the distance you have to travel, as many other owners have done to purchase their F's. I guarantee you every single one of them will say it was worth it.

Personally, I paid a little more than I should have years ago for my 08 F, because not only was it close to home, it only had 1 previous owner and 16K miles on it.

We won't let you give up. Welcome to the F family
Man, I really appreciate it!!! And thanks for the welcome. Thanks for keeping the spirit going and not letting me give up. I wouldn't mind "paying" a little more and I have no doubt it is worth it, provided the car is suitable and you enjoy it. Honestly, I would never pay $55k-$60k+ for a car that I have never driven. My family is deep in the Lexus/Toyota family and I am very familiar with the reliability. As I have claimed before, I am also in the family. I have a 1997 Toyota Land Crusier and it is still lovely and bulletproof. I am NEVER giving it up. Or at least until parts are unavailable, which should be years and years.

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Hey Jordanaf when I purchased my F in Nov of 2010 there were only 3 2011 ISF in USA that was it I was like WTF ended getting my F from Lexus of Plano TX and I live in Westchester County in New York state. I've sent emails to sales staff from Lexus of Plano TX, Lexus of Greenwich CT, and Lexus of Larchmont NY. I have purchased vehicle from all three dealership hopefully they can locate one for you. Will update you when I here back from them.

I could make the trip to Dallas/Ft. Worth or Plano. I live in Austin which is about 3+ hours from here. The one that Shawn found is a beautiful color and at a respectable dealership. I am looking in Houston and San Antonio too. As I have said, I need to find one closeish first, drive it, then worry about options and packages. I would negotiate over the phone once I found the right one after getting seat time.

You guys are great and have developed a very loyal following to this rare car. You guys are also unselfish and generous. I think it's a wonderful community. And I don't even know what to say about the effort you have extended to me. The advice has been enlightening and inspiring. Okay, blah, blah, blah. I've said enough.

THANKS!!!!
Old 08-08-13, 05:08 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

As said by someone else, drive to that one thats "local" in grapevine and test drive it and all of that good stuff and if you decide to get one and want new, you can just have one shipped if you want. There arent many options out there for it, most come with the navi/ml. Can just look for the color/interior combo you want and pay a couple hundred for shipping. Or me to drive it to you personally
Old 08-08-13, 06:10 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a couple bad *** ones in Austin. LiLs ( I believe that is his name on CL) has an AMAZING example.

Maybe hit him up?

Quick Reply: C63 owner about to convert