IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Screwed Again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-13, 12:54 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Screwed Again?

I just love it when local contractors drive around the area, letting uncovered stuff bounce out of their pickups onto the road.

I left the office this morning, just after arriving, to run a errand. I noticed that my left rear low profile tire was super low--15 pounds light on air!

It ends up I picked up one of the screws in the tire. Fortunately, it was dead center, so Lexus was able to put a plug and a patch.

I have 10,000 miles on the Bridgestone RE050s--shooting for 14,000 before I make the replacement.

What's your tire story?
Old 07-24-13, 01:15 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had something similar a few weeks back happen but the bolt was huge and I dontnt trust patches plus was more to the side of the tire. Tires had a little left but I replaced both and kept the good one for a spare if needed.

Last night while going home I was behind a semi a few car lengths in traffic and one of his wheels blew I couldnt swerve to avoid it so tried to center over it but it slapped my front bumper. As soon as I could got off the highway to inspect my car anx all it did was knock my parking sensor out, was able to just pop it back in, and a tiny almost unnoticeable scratch between left fog and the air duct on the painted paet of bumper. Have to get up very close to notice it.
Old 07-24-13, 01:22 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lately, it's like driving through an obstacle course in my area.

A few weeks ago, a pickup stacked with furniture was speeding along with pieces literally bouncing out onto the highway! Car were weaving in and out of the debris.

Amazing...

Last edited by ISF001; 07-24-13 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-24-13, 01:48 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

man, w/ my previous car, my slammed g35, i got nails and screws in my rear tires like every other month. i don't know if it was all the construction that was going on the freeway or what, i had the worst luck. to take time off work, get the repairs, the constant removal and mount of the tires on the aftermarket wheels i had, my rims started to get a little scuffed up, too. only issues w/ my F have been running over debris on the freeway and not being able to avoid it. like a hightop sneaker in the middle of the lane, which actually knocked loose the little plastic trim piece that is attached right in front of the rear wheels/wheel well. luckily, it didn't take it off completely or it would have been $50 down the drain.
Old 07-24-13, 02:07 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I have a very similar tire story to you. Just last month, my right front tire picked up a bolt/screw right in the middle of the tread. It was an easy fix for them, but it was inconvenient for me (only cost me $17 so that was cool). I have roughly 9K on my front RE050A tires and I just replaced my rear tires with Pilot Super Sports last week. I know running two different style tires is a bit odd, but I couldn't bring myself to toss my perfectly good fronts that have good tread left so I'll ride like this until my fronts wear down some more and get PSS tires to replace them.
Old 07-24-13, 02:17 PM
Franch1se
Rookie

meh I just replaced my driver front tire today. Got a flat when I hit a bump on 264. Tire looked ok till I pulled it off to put the spare. Had a 1.5 inch gash on the inside sidewall so it was unpatchable. Had to buy a new tire and I only had about 7k on that PSS
Old 07-24-13, 02:35 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Feel your pain bro...so far this year I have had 4 tires with nails in them, fortunately only one wasn't able to be repaired the others have plugs in them. About 4000 miles on the rears and 12000 on the fronts (still 8/32 tread depth)
Old 07-24-13, 05:45 PM
VSL-F
Driver

There are 4 new houses being built around my house and the construction debris is horrible. I got a nail in the left rear tire on the sidewall that was replaced by Lexus. One week later, I picked up another nail in the right rear, replaced again by Lexus. My tires were only 6 months old, and I'm thankful the tire hazard policy has really come in handy. I now routinely inspect the back alley and pick up loose nails.
Old 07-24-13, 05:55 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I get real angry when I see careless people hauling stuff as well. It hits a sore spot with me due to a major indecent involving my dad. He was coming home from visiting family in Canada a few years back and hit a 10" water main pipe that had fallen off a city truck in to the middle of the highway. It was at night on a two lane highway in Vermont coming down a big hill. There where cars entering the highway so he had no where to go. When he hit the pipe it ripped 3 wheels off of the car and caused the oil pan to shatter leaving him sliding on an oil slick with no steering or brakes (Think National Lampoons Xmas vacation).
He ended up sliding across the middle of the highway and in to the northbound lanes but lucky didn't get hit my oncoming traffic. He was eventually stopped by a guardrail on a bridge with a few hundred foot drop on the other side.

So, hopefully my dads story will help makes the nails in the tires not feel so bad. It is really fustrating when people are careless and put other people in danger as they drive off in to the sunset not aware of what they caused..... I know how you guys feel.
Oh, and my dad lived with none life threatening in injures.
Old 07-24-13, 10:23 PM
kdm
Pole Position

Word... incidents like these also makes me want to get clear bra on my car
Old 07-30-13, 07:38 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

FML. On my way home in a construction zone forcing 4 lane highway to one lane each side something bounced off a work truck a car ahead of me. Guy in front of me swerved and took out traffic barrels while I hit it on my front left tire. It was 35.5psi around 7pm now 32psi .
Old 07-30-13, 07:57 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Wow. That sucks but from the way you described it, it sounds like you're lucky it only damaged the tire.
Old 07-30-13, 08:20 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Yeah guy in front of me was in an old f150 and when he swerved I was like wtf then I saw it and my swerve was a little too late. Can't tell if its leaking or drop in psi is from cooling down so went and filled it to 40psi to avoid a flat in the morning. I have a warranty for road hazard for wheels and tires purchased when I got the car so guess ill make a claim and get a new tire and buy the other side to keep same tread on the front. Just sucks today was already a bad day and this just topped it off.