IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

excitement to have 3rd gen F-sports eat dust!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-13, 03:11 PM
GBFisFun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I've had people ask if mine was an "IS F-Sport", mainly because Lexus seems to advertise F-Sport more than the actual F car(s), plus they have similar badge placement. With so many F-Sport cars available, the IS F slips into obscurity, along with the much further out, LFA.
Agreed. I've had someone ask me, which F-Sport variant is that? It's not a variant, it's the ONE! LOL.
Old 06-27-13, 04:13 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
Here's a perfect example...

This guy (driving a Mini S) must have thought I was an Fsport or X50. Sliced and diced through traffic to give me the turbo BOV fly by. Once we hit the on ramp... it was obvious I wasn't.

He was a cool kid and asked if he could get video clip. I found this on YouTube last night.

http://youtu.be/5PnLZctFrFY
My favorite exhaust sound is that downshift from 6th to 5th with headers and exhaust.
Old 06-29-13, 12:40 PM
MDISF
Driver School Candidate

I see it as a blessing! My license plates say "F SPORT"...works every time ;-)
Old 06-29-13, 05:37 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Yea, there are a lot of ignorant people when it comes to knowing what car is what. I've only been mistaken for an ISx50 once. What's worse is with the NSX. People constantly ask me what year Corvette I am driving, and I always get the Corvette wave from other Vettes. I have also been asked what year Firebird that is. Then again, I also get asked what model Ferrari that is.....
Old 06-30-13, 08:22 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

This doesn't help. I don't mind people modding their is250/350 to look like an isf. I don't like when they try to pass it off as the real thing though.

I found these pics on instagram from the fresh meet today.

I don't know whether the owner wants to pass it off as the real thing or not, but the person who posted the pic deleted my comment when I asked whether it was an is 250 or 350.
Old 06-30-13, 08:29 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

I was there and saw that car. If they deleted your question than I would guess 250.
I had someone there ask me if I had a 250 or a 350. I revved my engine and set off a car alarm and the kid said he was in love with my car.
Old 06-30-13, 08:30 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Its a 350 u can tell by the front brake
Old 07-01-13, 05:34 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsane
Well the 3rd generation IS is out and people are already confusing F-sport with true F.
Who here is excited to pull up next to a shiny new IS 250 or 350 F-sport and make sure
people don't get confused?
I'm still irritated with the whole F-sport crap.
My favorite encounter so far has been with the new GS F-sport. They look fantastic, but that doesn't make them fast. Some poor bastard found that out the hard way a couple weeks ago. It's not an F. Quit driving like you think it's one! You embarass the true F with your facade!
Old 07-01-13, 05:38 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I would have made it a point to find this person out and call them out for impersonating an F. It hurts the brand equity with knockoffs like this. I would ask them "why"? Why are you trying to pass off your car as something it's clearly not? You are asking to get smoked by people with decent cars. Take the fake back end off of your car, and embrace it for what it is. These pics actually **** me off. You should keep posting your comment until that person responds. That's irritating as hell.

Originally Posted by jat0223
This doesn't help. I don't mind people modding their is250/350 to look like an isf. I don't like when they try to pass it off as the real thing though.

I found these pics on instagram from the fresh meet today.

I don't know whether the owner wants to pass it off as the real thing or not, but the person who posted the pic deleted my comment when I asked whether it was an is 250 or 350.
Old 07-01-13, 06:15 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by melbitoast
I would have made it a point to find this person out and call them out for impersonating an F. It hurts the brand equity with knockoffs like this. I would ask them "why"? Why are you trying to pass off your car as something it's clearly not? You are asking to get smoked by people with decent cars. Take the fake back end off of your car, and embrace it for what it is. These pics actually **** me off. You should keep posting your comment until that person responds. That's irritating as hell.
The thing is that the person who posted the pic is not the owner. Perhaps the owner doesn't want to pass it off as the real thing. Perhaps he's a member here.

A while back, I did see a couple on instagram trying to pass their converted is350 as the real thing. They also deleted my comments when I asked about the car. They didn't even buy the proper emblems for it and replaced the "is 350" emblem with "is f sport" one.

I really don't care that much, but it doesn't help with the confusion.
Old 07-01-13, 09:08 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I actually like the fact that a lot of people don't have a clue what kind of car I'm driving. I parked next to a guy in his late 30s with a new CTS-V coupe and complimented him on his car. He'd never even heard of an ISF, and from what I could tell he seemed pretty knowledgeable about cars. He didn't know that Lexus made a performance car with a V8.

So yeah, I'm sure the F-Sport creates some confusion, but the ISF is a confusing car anyway because of its rarity. And the people who DO know what the car is definitely treat it as if it is some sort of rare sighting. I don't know how many times people have walked up to me in a parking lot to say "wow, I haven't seen one of these in person yet!" which is funny considering the car has been out for almost 6 years.
Old 07-01-13, 10:32 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Imitation is flattery I guess. I would have either pulled up next to the 350 owner or parked next to him just to rub it in that he doesnt have the real deal.
Old 07-01-13, 10:41 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I drive an IS250 with F-Sport Package and I'm proud..

~ Joe Z
Old 07-01-13, 11:48 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

i wonder what all the f-sport IS250/350 owners would think if they read through this thread.
Old 07-01-13, 11:57 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

The F-Sport badging has fooled me plenty. Now ALL I look for when I see an IS with a badge is the lower front grille. If it's more than just a slit, it's potentially an ISF.

Originally Posted by ISF001
I saw drivers behind me in slow traffic taking pictures of the rear of the F twice during the past week. Some know the car.
I've gotten a few cellphone pics taken of my car from behind when in traffic. But when I get that it's usually someone chuckling because of my plate. I don't often get the feeling they know what the car is.

Quick Reply: excitement to have 3rd gen F-sports eat dust!