IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dealer says they can't turn off DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-13, 03:58 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dealer says they can't turn off DRLs

I went to the dealer (Lexus of Warwick) this weekend to get an oil change and also have the DRLs turned off... long story short they told me there was no way to have the DRLs turned off. I told them that there most certainly was since numerous other IS-Fs have had the DRLs turned off and they continued to tell me there was not. Unfortunately, I do not know the process of turning them off so I could not put up much of a fight.

Does anyone know the actual process the dealer performs to turn off the DRLs so I can go back and let my dealer know?

Is there a dealer in the RI, MA, CT area that someone has gone to to have this done?

Thanks.
Old 05-28-13, 04:05 PM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had it done 2 weeks ago at Ray Catena Lexus in Larchmont. Went for an oil change and requested it be done and they had no issue with it.
Old 05-28-13, 04:13 PM
Sello
Pole Position

In skip is the same place that told me there is no way to install xm radio using the stock system, needless to say my xm works great
Old 05-28-13, 05:31 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Go to Toyota dealership instead. I know a service adviser at my local Toyota dealer so I got mine done for free in 2 mins. Ended up tipping the tech guy 10 bucks for coffee. They were all loving the F lol.
Old 05-28-13, 06:38 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

yeah like mr2envi said, go to toyota. they did it for free for me while lexus wanted 65 bucks. im familiar with the techstream software and it took literally 2 mins to do.
Old 05-28-13, 06:39 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Typically, an original owner has 30 days from when he or she takes delivery to have LPS (Lexus Personalized Settings) changed. This is the time frame of when the dealer does a service inspection (1,000 mile mark). They don't have to perform it after that time frame. I know some dealers who have done so for the sake of customer service and retention, but it's not mandatory that they honor that request.

Toyota dealerships, as mr2envi mentioned, do turn them off too, so I would consider that option as well. Best of luck!
Old 05-28-13, 06:52 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

also if they deny, tell them you go onto military bases which drl are not allowed at all. they will do it
Old 05-28-13, 07:47 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or just buy the tech stream cable on eBay and do it yourself that's how I turned my DRL's off
Old 05-28-13, 08:31 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cruised with one of my buddies recently at night (Evil Teo) and I've seen his car at night, looks like his DRL's are off, but he told me he used an extremely tiny bulb, so it looks like they are off. I forgot what bulbs he told me he was using but it gets the job done. You may want to PM him regarding the bulb.
Old 05-28-13, 11:52 PM
2008ISF
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Too bad you're not close by. We can easily do that for you at our shop. Takes 5 minutes at the most. I shut my DRL's off.
Old 05-29-13, 06:51 AM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It really depend on the dealership... the dealership where I got my car from (Lexus of Charleston, SC) won't help me turn it off due to 'safety' reason; maybe they worry about someone won't able to see my car in bright daylight...
and later on, Lexus of Mobile, AL helped me turn it off without any question

good luck with you my friend!
Old 05-29-13, 08:11 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaper21
I went to the dealer (Lexus of Warwick) this weekend to get an oil change and also have the DRLs turned off... long story short they told me there was no way to have the DRLs turned off. I told them that there most certainly was since numerous other IS-Fs have had the DRLs turned off and they continued to tell me there was not. Unfortunately, I do not know the process of turning them off so I could not put up much of a fight.

Does anyone know the actual process the dealer performs to turn off the DRLs so I can go back and let my dealer know?

Is there a dealer in the RI, MA, CT area that someone has gone to to have this done?

Thanks.
It really depends who you talk to. One person at my dealership said they couldn't do it and would have to remove the bulb . I came back the next day, and another guy took care of it himself within five minutes. I don't know why there seems to be such fuss over a simple procedure, with some of these dealers.

This appears to be the procedure for the IS, unless the F is doing something special:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...-is350-drl.jpg
Old 05-29-13, 09:45 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by silverlexg
Or just buy the tech stream cable on eBay and do it yourself that's how I turned my DRL's off
Going to have to do this

Old 05-29-13, 03:48 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by silverlexg
does it allow you to program the tpms as well?
Old 05-29-13, 08:39 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
does it allow you to program the tpms as well?
Yes - As far as I know.. here's a step by step on youtube. (never done it personally). You can also use it to program keys (again never done it personally but there are step by step videos on youtube using the software).

TPMS -
DRLS - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...echstream.html

Quick Reply: Dealer says they can't turn off DRLs