IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus IS-F or MB C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-08, 09:22 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

my friend has a C63amg...its a little more rougher than the IS-F in daily driving...so a stiffer...heh...
Old 10-26-08, 09:41 PM
isbeater
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All i have to say is 3k for the renntech 548hp upgrade.... AMG FTW lol

I'd have taken the C63 if it was out
Old 10-26-08, 10:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by isbeater

I was thinking the same thing until I saw real world results at 12 mpg for the C63. Definitely not making me excited at all about the efficiency of this engine/car combination.
Old 10-26-08, 10:12 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im just gonna say that my friend got a C55 AMG in march and is selling it because all the problems. taken it to the dealership 7 times now. Im not sure if I will ever get an AMG if there i a F available.
if you dont care about reliability, then the C63 is the way to go, more powerful, mean, and you can upgrade it to be as fast as any super car.
but again MPG, reliability, comfort, lexus has the complete package.

its a hard decision man, I say you cant go wrong with either one.

Oh i forgot to say that my friends has had this C55 amg only for 5 months

Last edited by juice14; 10-26-08 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-26-08, 10:37 PM
RyanQ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isbeater

still think of the same thing but 3k from fully load to base model + 100hp + 2100(gaz guzzle tax) + higher insurance = ISF FTW

Don't correct me since all these are from research, no actual exp yet.
Old 10-27-08, 03:43 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

5 mpg is what TopGear saw with hard driving (on the Benz of course) ...
Old 10-27-08, 04:04 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too, came down to deciding between the IS F and the C63. Part of the issue was availablity, the other was that we were very dissappointed with the MB interior. My wife's comment was that it actually looked cheap. We already have an RX that we are very happy with...so when you add in Lexus' reliability and service AND better gas mileage AND lower insurance AND $8K cheaper price tag (in Canada) the decision was a fairly easy one (although the huge hp and torque kept calling...lol).

Good luck with your decision, it isn't an easy one as they're both great cars
Old 10-27-08, 05:07 PM
bsteven43
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I too, came down to deciding between the IS F and the C63. Part of the issue was availablity, the other was that we were very dissappointed with the MB interior. My wife's comment was that it actually looked cheap. We already have an RX that we are very happy with...so when you add in Lexus' reliability and service AND better gas mileage AND lower insurance AND $8K cheaper price tag (in Canada) the decision was a fairly easy one (although the huge hp and torque kept calling...lol).

Good luck with your decision, it isn't an easy one as they're both great cars
Canadian - thanks for the comments. I tend to agree that the IS-F interior is a little nicer than the MB although I was happy inside the MB too. My nagging question with the IS-F is around its suitability as a daily driver. My wife has a minivan so we've got the family thing covered but I still want something I can be comfortable in with guests (at times) along - day in day out. I'm afraid its the kind of car that once the novelty of the wicked performance wears off, it might get kind of old. No regrets?
Old 10-27-08, 06:31 PM
isbeater
Driver

Well you can't have it all... realistically all manuf (M3, C63, ISF) all have their own pros...

You need to choose what's most important to you. The reliability of the C63 is pretty good so far from what I read. Realistically, in my opinion, if you buy any of these cars and worry about the price of gas, then you can't really afford the car and should pick an IS350 or something of that nature.
Old 10-27-08, 06:59 PM
trdsolara
Driver School Candidate

The renntech upgrade is not 3k. That is just for ecu1 which bumps the car to 476hp. To get to the 550 hp level you need the renntech headers and exhaust and the ecu2. You will spend close to 10k for all those upgrades. I would get an IS-F or I dont know if you looked at it but the new cts-v is coming out next month at 59,999.
Old 10-27-08, 08:04 PM
isbeater
Driver

Originally Posted by trdsolara
The renntech upgrade is not 3k. That is just for ecu1 which bumps the car to 476hp. To get to the 550 hp level you need the renntech headers and exhaust and the ecu2. You will spend close to 10k for all those upgrades. I would get an IS-F or I dont know if you looked at it but the new cts-v is coming out next month at 59,999.
I believe the 10K includes brakes and suspension.

CTS-V sounds super good on paper, but I always hated how lethargic domestic engines are... I'm sure the LS-7 won't dissapoint.
Old 10-27-08, 08:18 PM
trdsolara
Driver School Candidate

The cts-v runs with the LSA engine which is supercharged and very similar to the zr-1 engine and makes 556 hp. Tough call now with that car coming out at its price point. I think its great that we are having to debate about so many great cars that are on the market right now.
Old 10-27-08, 09:55 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by bsteven43
Canadian - thanks for the comments. I tend to agree that the IS-F interior is a little nicer than the MB although I was happy inside the MB too. My nagging question with the IS-F is around its suitability as a daily driver. My wife has a minivan so we've got the family thing covered but I still want something I can be comfortable in with guests (at times) along - day in day out. I'm afraid its the kind of car that once the novelty of the wicked performance wears off, it might get kind of old. No regrets?
The daily driver issue was our main concern as well. We also have an RX which covers most of our space and comfort needs, but the IS F is also a very civilized drive if you're not pushing it. Granted, we've only had ours a couple of months but BOTH the wife and I are happy cruising around at normal speeds in traffic or on the highway. We really do believe that it offers the best of both worlds: a performance beast on one side AND a luxurious, comfortable daily driver on the other.

Should mention that there are only 2 seats in the back as opposed to 3, so depends on how many "guests" you're looking to transport.

Zero regrets
Old 10-27-08, 10:18 PM
sst760
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by juice14
im just gonna say that my friend got a C55 AMG in march and is selling it because all the problems. taken it to the dealership 7 times now. Im not sure if I will ever get an AMG if there i a F available.
if you dont care about reliability, then the C63 is the way to go, more powerful, mean, and you can upgrade it to be as fast as any super car.
but again MPG, reliability, comfort, lexus has the complete package.

its a hard decision man, I say you cant go wrong with either one.

Oh i forgot to say that my friends has had this C55 amg only for 5 months
What he said...I dont trust german cars. My E46 M3 was starting to break down as well. IS-F all the way
Old 10-27-08, 10:32 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I'm sure most IS-F owners probably considered the C63 at one point or another. Like everyone said, it really depends on which car appeals to you. The problem with the Merc for me was the 12MPG. Even though the IS-F is primarily my weekend car, gas mileage is still a factor to me, and the thought of gulping down that much gas is unacceptable. The other problem is taking a risk with reliability. I know some people have had good experiences with their Merc, but with a Lexus you know it's going to be rock solid, which gives me the peace of mind. Also, when comparably equipped, the C63 is significantly more expensive. Lastly, C63 is only offered in really tame colors. I personally like bright colors, so the Ultrasonic Blue was a huge draw.

Hope this helps! Post pics of the IS-F when you get it

Quick Reply: Lexus IS-F or MB C63 AMG