IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus IS-F or MB C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-12, 10:31 AM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

essentially, if you go through with this trade you are basically trading one performance sedan for another of the same class which imo is kinda pointless unless you are just bored and want to try something new...like i said before if you have the financial means then do it..trying something new is always fun
Old 10-31-12, 10:31 AM
LexF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FBTO
Is there a good article on what is new on the 2011+ ISF?
I couldn't afford one. But what i gathered was:
-revised steering ECU parameters
-revised suspension (slightly softer during daily driving)
-revised headlights, no more AFS
-new wheel design
-new red interior option
-revised gauges

Last edited by LexF; 10-31-12 at 10:34 AM. Reason: forgot gauges
Old 10-31-12, 10:33 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by FBTO
What's wrong with comparison threads? You so busy it takes up your time. If you are not interested, don't post
Yeah, they can be annoying, but comparison threads have existed since the beginning of the internet message board. It won't change now. It just seems like an awful lot of them have popped up recently though.

Originally Posted by deskx22
I have an IS-F and a p30 c63 w/ a Eurocharged tune. The IS-F and c63 are two very similar cars; they are in the same segment after all. Upon reflection, I should have opted for something else rather than the c63. I have no complaints about it - the car is quick, responsive, and classy (there is definitely less of a boy-racer feel to it). But, since I also own the IS-F, given that the two are arguably crafted with the same level of precision and quality, the minor differences in aesthetics simply isn't enough to justify buying a c63 if I had not purchased one yet. In my opinion, the c63 would be redundant. If I had the opportunity to go back in time, I would definitely have opted for a GT-R.
Yeah, I don't understand that either. Every now and again I'll see people who have an IS-F and an M3 or a C63 and an IS-F like you do, and wonder why someone would spend their money that way. It's your money of course, so do what you want, but if I were going to have $130K worth of cars in my driveway, I'd want totally different coverage gaps filled. If I were going to drop C63 money on another vehicle to go alongside my IS-F, it'd be something raw like a used GT3, or some big comfortable SUV.
Old 10-31-12, 10:36 AM
LexF
Rookie

Originally Posted by vbb
Yeah, I don't understand that either. Every now and again I'll see people who have an IS-F and an M3 or a C63 and an IS-F like you do, and wonder why someone would spend their money that way. It's your money of course, so do what you want, but if I were going to have $130K worth of cars in my driveway, I'd want totally different coverage gaps filled. If I were going to drop C63 money on another vehicle to go alongside my IS-F, it'd be something raw like a used GT3, or some big comfortable SUV.
I too read what was in his post and scratched my head... Why two basically identical cars? But as you stated, his money. :/
Old 10-31-12, 10:39 AM
FBTO
Pole Position

Comparison are probably on a up swing cause it is MY time. Leases ending and people shopping around. I know I am!
Old 05-02-13, 09:29 AM
THE350
Rookie

Default Lexus IS-F or MB C63 AMG

hey guys looking to purchase a lexus isf
but saw a 09 c63 amg for about the same price.

i really like both cars a lot
but the but the power of the c63 is incredible

what would you got choose a lexus isf or a c63
power over reliability?
Old 05-02-13, 09:36 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Reliability and low cost of maintenance good luck of the search
Old 05-02-13, 09:50 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Both are great cars. Having driven both, the F definitely has a better interior feel. The C63 is a straight on beast with the 6.2L engine. I love the F because it still is new and underrated compared to the C63 and M, which have long controlled this particular segment. From a visual perspective, I really think the MB's look is a bit off, but it makes up with the powerful engine. Since you're looking to purchase a pre owned one, you don't have to worry about the gas guzzler tax.

Honestly, I chose the F because it was new to the market and I've always loved the body styling of the 2IS. It has more than enough HP to handle my time on the streets and still gets that wow factor from onlookers. The C63 might be a better option should you want to do more performance tuning.

Hope this helps and best of luck on your decision!
Old 05-02-13, 09:54 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was in the same place... had a W204 I was selling to go either C63 or ISF. I even had ADV.1's that would've swapped over perfect for the C63 and I said "eff it and went Japanese. I like knowing this car is rock solid mechanically and won't break or has some stupid fault (like the C63 with the heads lifting) and all the other electrical gremlins that will inevitably go bad.

Don't get me wrong, the Germans put in all sorts of cool electrical stuff, but after 10 years it all will go bad, and on the Lexus it won't. I spent 6k in one year of ownership out of warranty on the Merc fixing stupid crap like the alternator going out, the oil level sensor going bad, the thermostat going out, etc. And that was at indy prices.

So reliability was one thing, but what got me just as much was the fact the C63 looks exactly like any other W204 with the optional 19" wheel, and even in Nebraska W204's are a dime a dozen and no one would be able to tell the difference. I like the slightly crazy look of the ISF and knowing it's the less obvious choice I can drive for months and never see another.

All in all... I couldn't be happier knowing i'm driving a Lexus because every time I get in it will start up and get me home with no quirks, faults, or trips to the dealer outside of basic maintenance, and having another somewhat temperamental German car in the stable, i'm ok with that, even if it's not quite got the power of the C63.
Old 05-02-13, 09:54 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

German reliability sucks A$$ ... not to mention when people look at the C63 they go "oh it's just another C class". ISF has everything, exclusivity (even more exclusive because they are discontinued for 2014), high resale value, power, reliability, good mileage for a V8 (C63 mileage is terrible). Now is the time to get an ISF. They are like the NSX of Toyota.

If you're into speed/modding and don't mind things breaking, go with the C63. With a tune that thing is a monster, but it also compromises reliability when you tune.

Also, I know you've been looking for an F for a while, you will have to travel if you want a mint ISF because they are becoming more and more rare. I guarantee you will not regret it!

Last edited by VtotheJ; 05-02-13 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-02-13, 09:55 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Merged recurring discussions
Old 05-02-13, 10:27 AM
poster123
Driver School Candidate

C63 have engine problems. I was reading threads on mb forum and some guy was quoted $42k for the fix. Something about head bolts on the engine not holding up. I went with the Japanese mostly for that reason. German cars are nice but they have too many issues and I had first-hand experience with those.
Old 05-02-13, 10:51 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

42k? That's insane. You can find a used c63 for that price!
Old 05-02-13, 12:23 PM
KTISF
Driver School Candidate

I used to have 09 C63, it got problems here and there all the time. So one word reliability.
Old 05-02-13, 03:37 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
German reliability sucks A$$ ... not to mention when people look at the C63 they go "oh it's just another C class". ISF has everything, exclusivity (even more exclusive because they are discontinued for 2014), high resale value, power, reliability, good mileage for a V8 (C63 mileage is terrible). Now is the time to get an ISF. They are like the NSX of Toyota.

If you're into speed/modding and don't mind things breaking, go with the C63. With a tune that thing is a monster, but it also compromises reliability when you tune.

Also, I know you've been looking for an F for a while, you will have to travel if you want a mint ISF because they are becoming more and more rare. I guarantee you will not regret it!
The reliability of most German car companies suck...I wouldn't lump Porsche into that category. They are 2nd in luxury reliability, just behind Lexus (way ahead in terms of performance of course).

Quick Reply: Lexus IS-F or MB C63 AMG