IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Installed my Wald "Style" spoiler today...

Old 04-24-13, 01:26 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Installed my Wald rear diffuser and spoiler....

I did not include every step, as removal of the old spoiler is pretty simple. No lasagna noodles were harmed during this installation.

Ok....so decided to spend my first day of my holiday's this year and install my Wald Style spoiler. Remembering nothing is perfect and your going to be saving hundreds of dollars from the having someone else install this. I hope this may help the next guy, that wants to try this.

About 3 hours in total time, from stripping the trunk garnish to the finished product.

Step 1 - Wake up the car!

Step 2 - Make sure the paint matches, and live with the wavy crappy Taiwan body work!

Step 3 - Transfer the logo and "Plasti-dip" if desired.

Step 4 - Remove the old spoiler - and wonder how your going to remove about 12 feet of factory 3M foam tape.

Step 5 - Load up the pin stripping wheel in my drill (basically a giant pencil eraser)

Step 6 - Start removing the tape! I had 3 drills, as my battery died - the wheel strips away all of the tape in about 10 minutes, with no chemicals, and will not mare the painted surface.

Step 7 - Clean up the surface, and then I used some finishing compound on my Porter/ Cable to remove any wax and eraser marks. I then cleaned the entire work area with Alcohol to prep for the 3M tape. I also covered the two outer holes with vinyl to prevent any water seepage. The other holes are filled with rubber plugs from the old spoiler set up.

Step 8 - Test fitted my new Wald Style spoiler for fitment - seems to be pretty good!

Check the sides too!

Step 9 - I prepared the spoiler with 3M foam tape and used a slight amount of silicone for security. Then fitted the final installation. I also heated the surface of the paint up prior, as it was a little cold out today, to ensure a good bond.

Step 10 - Tucked her away for the night to cure!

Digger08

Last edited by digger08; 03-24-14 at 08:02 PM. Reason: changed title
Old 04-24-13, 01:30 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by digger08
I did not include every step, as removal of the old spoiler is pretty simple.

Ok....so decided to spend my first day of my holiday's this year and install my Wald Style spoiler. Remembering nothing is perfect and your going to be saving hundreds of dollars from the having someone else install this. I hope this may help the next guy, that wants to try this.

About 3 hours in total time, from stripping the trunk garnish to the finished product.

Step 1 - Wake up the car!

Step 2 - Make sure the paint matches, and live with the wavy crappy Taiwan body work!

Step 3 - Transfer the logo and "Plasti-dip" if desired.

Step 4 - Remove the old spoiler - and wonder how your going to remove about 12 feet of factory 3M foam tape.

Step 5 - Load up the pin stripping wheel in my drill (basically a giant pencil eraser)

Step 6 - Start removing the tape! I had 3 drills, as my battery died - the wheel strips away all of the tape in about 10 minutes, with no chemicals, and will not mare the painted surface.

Step 7 - Clean up the surface, and then I used some finishing compound on my Porter/ Cable to remove any wax and eraser marks. I then cleaned the entire work area with Alcohol to prep for the 3M tape. I also covered the two outer holes with vinyl to prevent any water seepage. The other holes are filled with rubber plugs from the old spoiler set up.

Step 8 - Test fitted my new Wald Style spoiler for fitment - seems to be pretty good!

Check the sides too!

Step 9 - I prepared the spoiler with 3M foam tape and used a slight amount of silicone for security. Then fitted the final installation. I also heated the surface of the paint up prior, as it was a little cold out today, to ensure a good bond.

Step 10 - Tucked her away for the night to cure!

Digger08
What do you mean by WALD "Style" is ita replica? If s where did you get it and how much did i cost?
Old 04-24-13, 02:01 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good!
Old 04-24-13, 02:07 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

nice work... looks good.
Old 04-24-13, 02:14 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Looks great! Fitment is pretty good. How's the foam tape, and did you use it for the front spoiler as well?
Old 04-24-13, 02:41 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

great job DIgger
your replica spoil fitment matches the installation of my genuine spoiler (original spoiler stripped paint off of trunk, had to cover it up with more Wald spoiler)
Old 04-24-13, 02:43 PM
LO 21
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFF
What do you mean by WALD "Style" is ita replica? If s where did you get it and how much did i cost?
I don't mean this offensively, but you shouldn't quote the entire post, including pictures. It makes the thread really tedious to read through.
Old 04-24-13, 02:45 PM
sweetbird
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing u used to attach the spoiler was the foam tape? Do u have any pics of we're u put the foam tape on thebottom of your new spoiler? Thank u I'm installing mine this weekend and it came with some sort of glue and did not like the idea of smearing glue all over my stock spoiler I prefer to use the 3m tape if its strong enough.
Old 04-24-13, 02:55 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbird
The only thing u used to attach the spoiler was the foam tape? Do u have any pics of we're u put the foam tape on thebottom of your new spoiler? Thank u I'm installing mine this weekend and it came with some sort of glue and did not like the idea of smearing glue all over my stock spoiler I prefer to use the 3m tape if its strong enough.
always apply tape on the perimeter of whatever you're sticking (for most cases); more tape does not mean more adhesion
Old 04-24-13, 03:32 PM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Perferct fitment!
Old 04-24-13, 03:33 PM
scionized
Driver School Candidate

looks really good! pls post where u got it and how much it was
Old 04-24-13, 03:38 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 666 Likes on 589 Posts

what kind of tape should i buy to put on my wald tape? double sided adhesive 3m?

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-24-13, 03:53 PM
szhark

ur paint match looks perfect.. where'd u get it?
Old 04-24-13, 03:56 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice Bill, looks very good !
Old 04-24-13, 04:10 PM
Imnutz4jdm
Lexus Test Driver

That came out clean as hell for a replica nice work broski

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed my Wald "Style" spoiler today...