IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Bought It. Now Time to Detail It.

Old 04-23-13, 10:44 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by daedalus
Yea I got it from them.

Just got back from the body shop to have them look at the car... the haze is just overspray... everywhere on the car. I took it to them to see if they could re-align the drivers side headlight as it's positioned slightly down compared to the left side... boy oh boy did I find out a lot.

The entire front end was resprayed, and not very well. The guy said he suspected an auto auction had tried to hastly repair it for auction. The driver side fender must've been hit as it is in the wrong position and wasn't repaired properly. The paint really doesn't match either. So first bid is 1800.00 worth of repair and Luxor is trying to dodge coughing up any money to reimburse me. Gotta love post-sale customer service from used car dealers. Had this been disclosed I obviously wouldn't have bought the car.

Looks like the detail project is on hold as one way or another i'm having it all re-done and put together properly. Just a matter of whether or not i'm 2k poorer or not.
That's total crap, and exactly why a clean carfax report can mean almost nothing. Unfortunately you didn't catch these things until you bought the car and took it home, but then again, that is understandable. You were the perfect buyer for this dealership. They knew you were coming in from a long distance and intending to drive the car back that day, so they knew they had a buyer who was very serious and was intending to leave with a car. Now that they've sold you the vehicle,they probably couldn't care less about you. I'm sure you bought the vehicle AS-IS, and so even if there was a limited dealer warranty that they offered, it won't cover bodywork. I think you're going to get stuck with the $2K in proper repairs.
Old 04-23-13, 11:26 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
That's total crap, and exactly why a clean carfax report can mean almost nothing. Unfortunately you didn't catch these things until you bought the car and took it home, but then again, that is understandable. You were the perfect buyer for this dealership. They knew you were coming in from a long distance and intending to drive the car back that day, so they knew they had a buyer who was very serious and was intending to leave with a car. Now that they've sold you the vehicle,they probably couldn't care less about you. I'm sure you bought the vehicle AS-IS, and so even if there was a limited dealer warranty that they offered, it won't cover bodywork. I think you're going to get stuck with the $2K in proper repairs.
Yea i checked and their limited warranty isn't for bodywork.
Old 04-23-13, 11:39 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

^^^sorry to hear this.
Old 04-23-13, 11:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sad situation.
I guess it true when something(in this case the cost) is too good to be true,it probably is.

You've learned something.
Now try and forget about and make the best of what it now and enjoy it.
Old 04-23-13, 12:30 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This really sucks. It also makes me nervous about one of the ISFs I've been interested in, considering I'm pretty sure it was previously a leased vehicle too.
Old 04-23-13, 12:58 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

My 2011 isf was a lease as well and the dude seriously neglected it! I thought it was terrible but it wasnt quite as bad as yours. Hard to comprehend how people can neglect such an awesome car
Old 04-23-13, 01:11 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just make sure you check out the car in person and be prepared to walk away.
Old 04-23-13, 01:51 PM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Sorry to hear about this - I live in Phoenix, and have heard horror stories about this dealership, and others like it.

Question: when you inspected it, didn't the car's poor condition raise red flags for you?
Old 04-23-13, 02:01 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CodyJames
Sorry to hear about this - I live in Phoenix, and have heard horror stories about this dealership, and others like it.

Question: when you inspected it, didn't the car's poor condition raise red flags for you?
Yes but I had already had purchased the car and the title had already been sent so it was already my car. On balance in hindsight it would've made sense not to accept the car or try and work something out but again, it's not like I had a certified check with me that I hadn't already handed them and signed papers. I had already paid for it, done all the paperwork, etc so I doubt there is little they would've done to help me out to begin with.

I was naive I suppose to think I could just fly in, pick up the keys and leave with a nice car but i'll chalk it up to a learning experience and not do it again. I think the rest of the car is nice and again, mechanically it seems to be sound and the accident wasn't bad enough to damage any of the bumper supports or frame, or require a hood replacement so i'll just grit my teeth, get it repaired, and hope the dealer covers at least part of it.
Old 04-23-13, 02:21 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Yes but I had already had purchased the car and the title had already been sent so it was already my car. On balance in hindsight it would've made sense not to accept the car or try and work something out but again, it's not like I had a certified check with me that I hadn't already handed them and signed papers. I had already paid for it, done all the paperwork, etc so I doubt there is little they would've done to help me out to begin with.

I was naive I suppose to think I could just fly in, pick up the keys and leave with a nice car but i'll chalk it up to a learning experience and not do it again. I think the rest of the car is nice and again, mechanically it seems to be sound and the accident wasn't bad enough to damage any of the bumper supports or frame, or require a hood replacement so i'll just grit my teeth, get it repaired, and hope the dealer covers at least part of it.
Oh you bought it sight unseen? Well that was.... trusting. It does no good to pile on you now with what you should have done. I think you learned this lesson the hard way. Like you said, it is still an awesome car, and it is just going to cost you a few grand more than you thought. I see that you're in to detailing, but unless you're equally adept at mechanical stuff, it'd probably be worth your while to take it up to your nearest Lexus dealership or trusted mechanic to just give it a once over... or maybe even hook up with a fellow ISF owner to have them check it out to make sure it drives like their own car does. Maybe this is overkill, but you never know.
Old 04-23-13, 02:37 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vbb
Oh you bought it sight unseen? Well that was.... trusting. It does no good to pile on you now with what you should have done. I think you learned this lesson the hard way. Like you said, it is still an awesome car, and it is just going to cost you a few grand more than you thought. I see that you're in to detailing, but unless you're equally adept at mechanical stuff, it'd probably be worth your while to take it up to your nearest Lexus dealership or trusted mechanic to just give it a once over... or maybe even hook up with a fellow ISF owner to have them check it out to make sure it drives like their own car does. Maybe this is overkill, but you never know.
Already done the latter of the two options. And yea, with the fix i'll basically be paying the market rate for any other MRM 2010 with the same miles in the country.
Old 04-23-13, 04:26 PM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Gotcha - I didn't know you had purchased it without seeing it in person. It is what it is - a good learning experience. It's still a very nice IS-F, and with a little work and a little more $, it'll be perfect. Congrats on the new ride, and keep us posted on how you progress!
Old 04-24-13, 05:33 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Day 3 - Interior Misc & 2nd Coating of Leather Conditioner

Not much to do (or that I could do today) as a thunderstorm was rolling in this afternoon. I was planning to do a pity wash on the car but that will have to wait until tomorrow. So consider this a mini update.

Tried to bring this back to life... but it was too far gone. New mats will be ordered shortly.

Only got slightly brighter.

Passenger side seat after 2nd coating of AMMO leather conditioner. The seats have been so starved of any conditioner that when I opened up the pores cleaning the dirt out of them they basically just sucked up the first coating of conditioner within 48 hours.

So I applied another layer, and will probably have to do so again in another few days. But the leather is starting to get much softer and before, if you pushed it in with your finger, it would imprint in the material and not "spring back" but now the material is starting to get it's rebound back and relax.

Vacuumed the interior floors, headliner, and floor mats, then finished them off with the obligatory detail striping on the carpets.

Tomorrow i'll wash the poor thing as the wheels have enough brake dust caked on to start pitting them so it will get a pity wash for the time being, but no further paint detailing as it will be going to the body shop in the next few weeks and there is no sense correcting paint that's getting sanded off, or correcting the back of the car when there will inevitably be more imperfections and overspray left on the car somewhere by the respray process.
Old 04-24-13, 06:37 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would highly recommend that you use Iron x to clean your wheels. It will make it much easier.
Old 04-25-13, 06:06 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Day 4: Wheel Clean / Pity Wash

Until the car gets it's front end redone I thought it at the very least deserved the removal of 1600 miles of road grime, dirt, dust, and bugs, and the removal of the caked on brake dust. The wheels will need to be clayed to remove the rest of the brake dust but this was just a first attempt to get the brunt of the filth off.

All the gear used on the wheels. Dedicated wheel gear - not used on any other part of the car. DO NOT USE THE SAME WASH MITT FOR THE PAINT.

BEFORE

AMMO Plum applied.

Eating through and pooling grime (it turns it plum purple).

Long brush + AMMO Brute wheel cleaner to pull dirt out from inner barrel and behind spokes + brake caliper. Always work top down so the cleaner is running down and removing grit down the wheel before you get there with your brush.

Small brush for agitating dirt out of lug nut holes and around air valve.

After.

Gilmore foam gun + AMMO car wash gel

Soaking in (idea is to let the suds pull what dirt is possible away from the surface and run it off the car prior to you hitting it with your wash mitt.

Finished it off with AMMO Hydrate to wipe down the car with a FULLY DAMP microfiber towel. Don't use it dry - that's when you put the most fine scratches into the finish!

AMMO Mud for the tires.

Polished Test Panel

Not Polished Area

Not much more to do on it until new floor mats arrive, and the car gets back from the body shop for the paint correction to begin. So next update will be in a few weeks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought It. Now Time to Detail It.